• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Villa Street Lozells

Doh, I see you have posted before that you were at 118 so ....... you must have been able to see the Mission Room from your back garden. Any memories? Also, I know it had gone when you were there [map is 1889] but what did the Fire Brigade station evolve into?
  2. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Villa Street Lozells

Only one post for the Villa Street thread - bizarre. I know there are threads for places like the Villa Tavern but it seems odd given that Astoness lived here. Anyway, this is for you Lynn - a decent-sized map with numbers. Which one was yours?
  3. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

200 years of Nelson in the Bull Ring

A bit of trivia popped up on the radio on Saturday morning. Well, I hadn’t heard this story before. Steven Knight of “Peaky Blinders” fame revealed the current location of the marble plinth to Nelson’s statue. This was on Radio 4 on Saturday – here is the link ...
  4. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Black Swan Hotel - Bromsgrove Street

I have a podcast episode for this pub at : I realise that I have not pronounced Kyotts correctly!!
  5. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Help finding The White Lion pub

Lily Warwick took over the licence of the White Lion on High Street Bordesley on January 21st 1943 and was succeeded as licensee on May 19th 1955. BTW the pub traded until the late 1960s.
  6. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Camp Hill

Further to this, I have clocked in a 1826 Rate Book that Stratford Road is not named as such and that all properties from the Church to the Black Horse and Angel are bundled in as Camp Hill.
  7. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Lombard Street General Baptist Chapel 1785

For subsequent use see : www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/moseley-road/index.html#Potts
  8. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Highgate Park Baptist Church 1889 (originally Hope Street Church)

I have done a little bit on this micro-area because I had some pics. There may be something of interest here : www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/moseley-road/ - I have included a photograph of building use after the church closed.
  9. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

The Good Companions : Coventry Road, South Yardley

For those who patronised "The Goodies" I have uploaded a page for this inter-war pub. Lots of photographs with many of the rooms featured, along with the bowling green. I have provided details of the architect and sculptor etc. Plus, a mention of the day when the leader of the opposition did a...
  10. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Camp Hill

Hi Janice, I was intrigued by this so have done a little digging myself. I have posted some notes at www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/stratford-road/ which may help - or add to the confusion :confused:
  11. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Is This Your Motor?

Thanks [yet again] for your help John - much appreciated
  12. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Apparent random problem with the forum

Just in case it is helpful, I had an issue with a Windows and Firefox update yesterday. I could not log in with Firefox, though I could with Edge. The solution was to used Ctrl and F5 to reload both page and cache and, bingo, it solved the issue. I am not suggesting this is the solution to this...
  13. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Great Charles Street School

Couldn't see a thread devoted simply to Great Charles Street so I will post here : I have added some blurb on this street at : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/great-charles-street/
  14. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Is This Your Motor?

and finally for this evening ....
  15. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Is This Your Motor?

or how about ....
  16. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Is This Your Motor?

and another ...
  17. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Is This Your Motor?

Oops haven't posted on this thread for a while. Here's a couple I need help identifying ...
  18. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Air raid shelters

Cheers Mike, I think you and Lyn have nailed it.
  19. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Air raid shelters

I haven't got a cellar, only a sub-level pantry - looks like I'll be fried when the impending bomb lands on my roof. ;)
  20. www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Air raid shelters

Sounds feasible Lyn, a way out of the cellar perhaps.
Back