• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. fergie

The Gypsys Tent or The Badgers Sett

I have recently discovered that my great great Grandfather John Bartlett my have owned a pub known as The Gypsys Tent which I believe may be the Badgers Sett. I had previously learnt from his will that he had property on Hagley Hill but had not been able to establish this. I found property for...
  2. fergie

Underhill family

I have been making fair progress with my Underhill connection, having discovered that three of my Nans siblings were in Cottage Homes/workhouse. Rosina and Alice her two younger sisters were in Marston Green in1911, George Henry was born in Dudley Road. Rosina Underhill died a spinster in...
  3. fergie

Garrison Lane

Looking for a friend either the names Bryan, Jays, Brewin family that lived in Garrison lane. Lydia married 3 times so hence diiferent names.
  4. fergie

Brazil Terrace

I discovered this address on my great genadmother Leah Taylors birth certificate, Brazil Terrace Highgate Lane. Would Highgate Lane eventually have become Highgate Road? Leah lived most of her married life as a Bartlett up until she died in 1953 in Highagate Road.
  5. fergie

Queens Hospital Bath Row

Edit. For discussion about Birmingham Accident Hospital please see this thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-accident-hospital.34259/...
  6. fergie

Angelina Street Highgate

I was on a course yesterday and needed directions, when checking the A - Z I saw that the venue was around the corner from Angelina Street the address of my gggrand parents Samuel and Lydia Taylor in 1881. I decided to check it but I was so disappointed because the houses were relatively new...
  7. fergie

Arthur Street

Does anyone have any photos's of Arthur Street, I am still persuing the Bartletts who lived in Arthur Street No 7 in 1881 and maybe earlier. John Bartlett Jnr moved from there in 1901 I found him living in Ladypool Road.
  8. fergie

Colmore Row, Monmouth Street

I am currently looking at Colmore Row, since it appears as the residence of a Catherine Faircloth at the time of her marriage to Edward Hough (Brick Layer) in 1846. When checking the 1841 I found Nanny Faircloth residing at Monmouth Street. I didn't know until doing a search that Monmouth Street...
  9. fergie

Huckerby

I am looking for Huckerby, I have Thomas Huckerby and Rosina my g g grandparents, he was a brick layer they lived in Bolton Road.
  10. fergie

High Street Deritend

Has anyone got any old photographs of the High Street Deritend, my interest is due to discovering that John Bartlett and John Bartlett Jnr had premises at Ct 10 High Street Deritend, from 1839 until approx 1901, he was a hop press maker, steel mill maker or malt crusher.
  11. fergie

Tripe Dresser

Just learn't from Kellys that my g grandfathers brother Joseph Underhill was a Tripe dresser Yuk I hate the stuff. :Aah:
  12. fergie

Australian Pub

Since I discovered where my g granmother was living in Highgate Road memories have flooded bak to my Mom. She remembered a pub called the Australian that was bombed out during the 2nd World War and an elderly lady called Ginny Randall who ran a sweet shop, she remembered that she was great with...
  13. fergie

Enlisting or recriuting age for WW1

Would anyone be able to tell me the recruitment age for enlisting during the 1st World War My great grandfather Henry Underhill would have been 41 in 1914 whereas his son Henry would have been 19.  There is only one set of medals and only one record of a Henry Underhill returning from...
  14. fergie

Bartlett/Chinn

As I was searching for family ties I came across this on Ancestry. My gg grandfather William Bartlett's youngest daughter Florence married Richard Chinn in 1891 in Aston.  I found them on the 1901 census living at 21 White Street Balsall Heath, they had 2 sons Richard born abt 1892 and...
  15. fergie

Malt Mill Maker

I have a relative with the occupation of Malt Mill Maker.  Father and son both had this occupation they lived in Aston, Deritend, Bordesley in 1851.  Wondered if it was anything to do with Beer/Ales or even sauces.   Where would there be a Malt Mill?
  16. fergie

BSA Factory 1940s Onwards

Edit. This thread is about the Birmingham Small Arms factory from the 1940s onwards. For discussion about the factory in other periods please see the thread links here: BSA early years to the late 1800s...
  17. fergie

Bsa Factory 1900s - 1930s

Edit. This thread is about the Birmingham Small Arms factory during 1900s - 1930s. For discussion about the factory in other periods please see the thread links here: BSA early years to late 1800s...
  18. fergie

Bartlett Underhill huckerby taylor stallard and lambon

These are all the names in my family. My grandfather Charles Samuel Bartlett married Jane Underhill, her mother my ggmother was Jane Huckerby her father Thomas Huckerby married to Rosina Stallard my gggparents. Alfred Bartlett my ggfather married Leah Taylor her father gggfather Samuel Taylor...
Back