• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. goldy

Birmingham area Scooter production

Hi Stickman, I used to have a James SC1 150cc scooter in the late '60's. Its registration was 736 RHA and I purchased it from Copes, Bearwood. I believe this was manufactured by BSA and was built like a tank! 2" dia steel tubes ran around the legshields and I remember that it had a Villiers...
  2. goldy

Illey Fields Pub

Hi CliveF, I did a search for this pub and came across a really interesting website : closedpubs.co.uk. This has a pic of the Merritts Brook pub, but it doesn't look like the building I remember, and it certainly wasn't on a roundabout. (Pity no mention of the 'Illey Fields' pub though! And...
  3. goldy

Illey Fields Pub

Thank you very much for your rapid responses pjmburns & brummy-lad. However, B17 is a bit out of the area that I had in mind and delving into the depths of my (albeit ageing) memory, my recollection is that the pub was a typical 70's housing estate pub i.e More or less single storey, built...
  4. goldy

Illey Fields Pub

Hi Y'all, I was recently reminiscing with another ex-pat Brummie about some of the pubs that I used to visit when I lived in Kings Norton in the 1970's. For some reason or other this pub sprang to my mind, but my mate (who used to live in Northfield) just couldn't recall the name. As far as I...
  5. goldy

Where is this pub?

Hi pjmburns, Your eyes are obviously far better than mine! :). I tried everything I could to enlarge/enhance the photo, but to no avail. In the light of a new day (and if I squint) I think I can just about make out the very pale outline of 'M&B' on the sign. This being the case, the place...
  6. goldy

Where is this pub?

Hi, Could the negative have possibly been reversed? The reason I ask is that I remember (like Pelham1961) that the main entrance was on the left of the building whilst the outdoor/off sales was on the right. Otherwise the photo is a ‘dead ringer’ for the Ash! I used to work part time at the Ash...
  7. goldy

London Brick Co, Small Heath

Hi, I don't know what happened to the LBC to bring it down to its knees, but according to the Interweb it was taken over by Hansons and appears to be still trading in some form or other. All the bricks that were distributed from the LBC Anderton Road sidings came from the Stewartby, Fletton and...
  8. goldy

London Brick Co, Small Heath

Hi, I apologise if there is a suitable link/thread already in existence, but I have tried several searches on a variety of similar topics associated with this post. Anyway, here I go: Anyone remember the London Brick offices and garage situated in the railway sidings in Anderton Road Small...
  9. goldy

Pineapple Bridge

Hi, I used to live at 327 Vicarage Road in the mid 1950’s to about 1960, when we had to move out due to the impending demolition of the prefabs. (A cluster of 6). Compared to the terraced house in Dawlish Road that we had moved from, our prefab was an absolute palace! It even had an Anderson...
  10. goldy

Delta Wire Adderley Street Deritend previously United Non Ferrous metal company.

Hi John, I worked shifts in the Lab here in 67/68, so I must have been in my early 20's then. I remember that it was a really nice place to work as everyone was so happy & friendly. The offices and building themselves were also nice and pleasant. I can only recall that the chap in charge of us...
  11. goldy

Clifford’s Mills Charles Clifford & Son

I worked for a year or so at the Dogpool plant as a Lab Assistant - probably about 1967/8, so I was only in my teens then. The only people whose names I can recall in the Lab were Nancy Tortoishell, Sheila, and Joe Footes, although there were two or maybe three other people working there as...
  12. goldy

Birmingham Battery & Metal Co Selly Oak

Hi, I’ve been reading through all the posts related to the BB&M and thought I’d add my recollections: In must have been in my late teens/early twenties when I worked as a lab technician in the downstairs laboratory. I was there for a couple of years or so from around 1967. It was shift working...
  13. goldy

Wheelers Lane Secondry modern

A few additional memories I should like to add: David Bodfish was Head Boy during my final year(s) and both he and Nigel Horton were in my class. Another pupil I recall was John Clarke who was part human, part fish - it was the only explanation for his swimming exploits! Nigel joined the police...
  14. goldy

Delta Metal Dartmouth Street

Hi, Although the thread appears to be pretty old I thought that I would add my 'twopennerth': In 1966 I transferred here from United Non-ferrous, Adderley Road which was part of the Delta Metal Group of companies. (Unfortunately, this company also no longer exists.) For my sins I was working...
  15. goldy

Wheelers Lane Secondry modern

Hi everyone, the recent passing of Tony ‘Elfie’ Devlin has prompted me to make this post. I went to Colmore Road Junior & Infants with him, and we were also at Wheelers’ Lane S.M.B together, although we were in different classes/streams. He was well liked and well known both at school and with...
Back