• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. coerl21

Thorpe Street

All I remember about Thorpe Street was that Royal Mail had a social club there. Was it the Drill Hall? One of the very few stars I've seen in the flesh was Ruby Murray in the 70's at the social club!
  2. coerl21

Saltley / Duddeston & Nechells Area

The photo "Reginald Road Saltley 18th May 1962" shows a Standard car (I think). I believe it belonged to Mr. Guest who always had a "decent motor" (later he had a Ford Corsair - which I much admired). I lived opposite that block of houses. Further down there is an A55 van? where new houses...
  3. coerl21

Car registration numbers

I can rememberonly a couple of my old reg plates. Myfirst car, an A35 van, was LAB 403 (or the other way round) 1963Worcestershire? - and an effluent brown mini RON 40R - almost palindromic. I have retained F41HAM, from theonly car I have truly loved – Colin my Fiat Croma. I was in tears...
  4. coerl21

Items that have faded away

Yes it was Chaplains - they did have a shop at the Pelham. An interesting item they sold was a "fisherman's knife" - which was actually a flick knife!
  5. coerl21

Items that have faded away

Do you remember kits to make primitive radios? The H.A.C (Hear all continents) one valve short wave radio was a simple kit using a 90 volt battery and an aerial as long as Livery Street. It was magical to tune into some distant radio station - listening through your ex-army headphones bought...
  6. coerl21

Saltley & Alum Rock

Hi Wendy, I think I may know the Dave Thompson in the photograph. We worked together at Royal Mail Head Post Office for many years. When I met him there we discovered we were in the same class at St. Saviours CoE school but we didn't remember each other. We were also born on exactly the same...
  7. coerl21

Ward End Park

We used to roll down the hill towards the lake - and then stagger round in a daze. I suppose it was safer than sniffing glue. I do remember paddling a catamaran on the lake. We were too scared to have a canoe as none of us could swim. We also used to play putting and bowls. There was a...
  8. coerl21

School visits to Cinemas

I was at Whittington Oval School for distressed gentlefolk. The one and only outing we had was to the Beaufort to see "the Coronation". My only recollection is climbing the stairs of the bus on all fours. (Something I didn't repeat until I was introduced to alcohol). The only thing I remember...
  9. coerl21

Verity's Limited

I used to work for William McGeoch (Bordesley) from 1967 to 1969. If my memory serves me correctly at that time they owned Verities. I vaguely remember visiting the Verities factory. Apparently they made huge crystal chandeliers for liners and palaces. Surprisingly McGeochs are still a going...
  10. coerl21

When Everyone Wore A Hat...

I agree that a baseball cap is really useful- especially if you wear glasses and it's raining. However to be really cool wear it backwards AND it stops rain trickling down your neck
  11. coerl21

When Everyone Wore A Hat...

If a hat is lying around most people will try it on. I think people would like to wear hats but perhaps feel a bit self-conscious. I occasionally wear a cap made of different Irish tweeds - but my partner says I look like an OAP. I have to remind her I am an OAP! I would like to wear a...
  12. coerl21

Head Post Office (Sorting Office) Birmingham

Here's a picture of a red tractor with a cool dude behind the wheel. https://www.2c2no.com/truck.htm POTUs (at least after 1972) were all aluminium trailers. BRUTEs were a British Rail acronym. The lift you refer to was a GOSS elevator (George Orton Spooner and Son who designed them) a la...
  13. coerl21

Both the tunnels were wide enough to allow 2 BRUTES to pass side by side, and there was lots of head room. All BRUTES were towed by electric tractors. There was a limit of 6 BRUTES per tractor but I have seen twice that amount being towed. The original tractors were painted red and were...
  14. coerl21

Morturn - thanks for those pictures - it certainly brings back memories. The "new" tunnel is soundproofed (I think the technical term is anechoic) and is quite eerie. The "old" tunnel was tiled - so when there were a couple of dozen BRUTES (the wheeled cages) being towed the noise was...
  15. coerl21

The I worked at the Head Post Office Hill St. from 1970 until 1972. My job was to maintain the small electric vehicles that towed the wheeled cages of mail down to New St Station. I was wondering what happened to the tunnel that led from Hill St to the station? If it is still there it must...
  16. coerl21

Old street pics..

I think the 5th picture of Alum Rock shows "Stannards" which I think was a stationers. As a schoolboy I remember buying fountain pens there. It was always a ritual - having selected your pen it was pumped up with ink using the little lever on the side, followed by a few words of copperplate -...
  17. coerl21

Alum Rock - Capitol Cinema

I was a bit wobbly on my feet when they played the NA - I think it was lack of oxygen due to snogging!
  18. coerl21

Rationing

Hi All, Although I was around during post war rationing I don't remember it. My only vague memory is of a ration book being burned on What's My Line ? as the last commodity came off rationing - was it coal? I was always painfully thin as a child - but this was due to my mother's cooking...
  19. coerl21

I do remember snogging with my girlfriend there - and each time a train passed our teeth clashed. When we left, her beehive was at a jaunty angle and contaminated with Brylcream and one side of my face covered in white panstick. And they said that romance was dead! Cheers Paul
  20. coerl21

Hi All, Do you remember the large black and white cat that lived there? He used to sit on your lap and suckle on your jumper. As a youth I used to go to the Capitol every Saturday night - it used to be packed with young people. I don't think anyone watched the films - it was just a meeting...
Back