• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. jerry

over 1,000 old pics of Birmingham

It's the only thing that keeps me sane Alf!
  2. jerry

Sorry folks, that's the wrong link, this is the right one https://smallheath.proboards.com/index.cgi
  3. jerry

The site now contains over a thousand old pics from all parts of Brum. You have to register to view them but it's free and painless so enjoy!:) Jerry
  4. jerry

BigTop

Hi Phil The "Big Top" site was opposite the Odeon Picture House in New Street. during the war the shops were hit by german bombs and had to be demolished. the ground was cleared and they put up a circus tent and all the affected stores set up shop inside. Hence The Big Top Jerry
  5. jerry

The Twelve Days Of Christmas

For the last four Christmases I’ve gone to other people’s houses for dinner, well this year the turkey came home to roost, they all decided to come to me! Problem: The hallway, stairs and landing are looking pretty tatty so with the family coming for Christmas I’ve gotta redecorate. No...
  6. jerry

The Matchmaker,Kitts Green

It's a Quick Fit garage now. The Legion club was opposite and it's still there but it isn't a club anymore, it went bust and was bought a few weeks back by the guy who owns the Kerryman in Digbeth and he's turned it into an ordinary pub.
  7. jerry

What a drag

This was the very first poem i wrote on this forum many years ago and it seemed to go down well at the time so if I can pay the BBc to show me repeats why shouldn't you lot suffer:) When I was a tot I dreaded the days when we went to the Rag Market Hall Mum would call " Get yer coat on " and I...
  8. jerry

1920s photo (approx)

Well there are several chefs and chambermaids in the pic so it looks like a staff pic from a hotel and there weren't many hotels in brum at that time with a staff as big as that so how about the Midland?
  9. jerry

The Era Bordesley Green

The connection between Boon and the Marquis of Lorne is interesting. I remember one of the early episodes of Boon where he , aka a stuntman, had to climb to the top of one of the gas holder towers at, I think,Saltleybut I don't remember the pub being involved. my eldest brother John worked as a...
  10. jerry

The Era Bordesley Green

Hi nick, another great pic of old Bordesley Green. Hope you don't mind I've done a bit of repair work on it.
  11. jerry

The Era Bordesley Green

How great to see a photo of the Era, one of my regular picture houses although we hated it because it was the only one in the whole area that we couldn't sneak into! Only one way in and one way out, both guarded by Nazi Stormtroopers. Phil and Jim, is it ok to put the pics on my website with the...
  12. jerry

Photo Editing Programmes

I do a lot of photo editing and I started off using free programs and found it best to use more than one as some are good at one thing and some at another. If you're gonna be doing a lot of editing then I'd suggest you bite the bullet and buy Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0, it's widely recognised...
  13. jerry

Electoral Rolls at Birmingham Library

I know what you mean, the only wills in our family were Woodbines;)
  14. jerry

Buddy Holly & the Crickets

Sorry about that slight glitch, this is what I meant to post
  15. jerry

Buddy Holly & the Crickets

You all should enjoy this;) https://www.smallheathcircle.com/2.html#
  16. jerry

Mount Pleasant off the Coventry Road

There was a row of Georgian houses at the front of Mount pleasant, facing onto Kingston Hill, they were demolished in the 70s Mount Pleasant is still there. it's a Grove containing maisonettes. I haven't got a picture to hand but the maisonettes are of the same age and design as these, which...
  17. jerry

Coventry Road (arthur St) Tram/trolley/bus Garage

I don't think you'd recognise the interior now, bits of it have been leased to all sorts of different companies since the depot closed. I've attached a pic of the interior in 1907..enjoy Jerry
  18. jerry

rubbish tip

I don't know much about Wright's Ropes but they had a pretty big factory in Garrison Street and the back of the factory faced onto the big tip. They did what it says on the tin!, wire and hemp ropes and they were involved with the laying of the second transatlantic wireless cable between Britain...
  19. jerry

unknown places

Thanks for these magical pictures, the best "courtyard" pics I've seen to date. I've downloaded them and, like you, I'll enjoy looking at them even if i don't know the locations Cheers jerry
  20. jerry

rubbish tip

There were two tips and we always knew them as "The Small Tip", which was at the back of the snooker hall and Elite Pics on Bordesley Green and "The Big Tip" Which we used to get to via a fence at the back of the \small tip, you could also get onto it from Bordesley green Road, opposite...
Back