• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. N

Sunday school in the street....

Hi. I lived on Hanley Street between '62 and '69, and I have vague memories of having "Sunday school" in the street every week(i think). Somebody with a van or a wagon came and put benches out and most of the kids would come and listen. I think we got little "gifts" too, religion themed...
  2. N

Could anyone repair this photo for me please?

Yes.... very nice job.
  3. N

The Boys Brigade

OK..... I talked to my friend and he remembered EVERYTHING! It was the 89th company, and meetings were at Brackenbury Church, until it closed then we moved to Warren Farm School. (I got one thing right!) lol. Captain's name was Mike Booten (sp) I've got more names if anybody is interested. Mark...
  4. N

Nothing wrong with your work.... looks really good.
  5. N

The Boys Brigade

Boys Brigade is one of my favorite memories of growing up, though I cannot recall many specifics about my time there, in the early seventies. Can't even remember the Company number!!?? I lived in Perry Common, and I THINK we went to the BB at Warren Farm School. or near there. I think the...
  6. N

Nice job, oldmohawk. Did you use Photoshop?
  7. N

Hanley street?

lol.. yes I meant the 1960s. Thanks that is just what I need. Mark
  8. N

Hanley street?

Does anybody have a map of Hanley Street that would show the layout of the courtyards, especially in the 60's? Thanks, Mark
  9. N

Courtyards and yards of brum

Thanks Lyn, that's what I thought. There's a good possibility that I knew the people in the pic, but don't ask me to name them! :) Mark
  10. N

Courtyards and yards of brum

What year was this picture of Hanley Street taken? I lived there from '62 to '69. Horrible conditions, but some great memories. Great pictures, Mark
  11. N

St Chads Schools

Anybody remember any pupils names from when they were at St. Chad's? I was there from 63-69. A couple of names I recall are Derek Duffy, and Patrick Carter. Patrick was a really good artist, as I recall, he used to draw all the Thunderbirds. (Remember them?) I remember we used to play "James...
  12. N

hanley st newtown

Hi Richard. I think we chatted on here before. Don't you have a sister named Pauline? I think I went to school with her at St. Chad's.
  13. N

the barrel..summer lane /tower st

Hi. No, sorry, no brother named Sammy, or cousins Sandra and Colin, though I did go to school (St Chad's) with a Sandra Gaskin, but we were not related, as far as we knew. My Dad was from Ireland. Mark.
  14. N

Summer Lane Pubs

OK! Just did a quick Google for "Elliot's summer lane" and found this.... https://www.plastiquarian.com/index.php?id=6&subid=148&osCsid= Thoughts?? Mark and this :) https://gbcameras.org.uk/VP%20Twin/Company%20History.htm ok, last one.... https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/wiki/E._Elliott so...
  15. N

Summer Lane Pubs

My Dad worked at Elliott's Plastics in the sixties, and that is definatly it in the background. Mark
  16. N

the barrel..summer lane /tower st

My dad, Frank Gaskin frequented the Barrel in the sixties, we lived on Hanley Street and he worked at Elliotts Plastics on Summer Lane. Is there another pub on Summer Lane closer to Hanley Street? Mark
  17. N

hanley st newtown

Hi Mick. Welcome back (sort of... I'm in Canada :) ) Looking forward to any memories you can post about Hanley street. Mark
  18. N

hanley st newtown

Great pic! I lived at 55 Hanley Street from 61-69, and this brings back lots of memories! Thanks for posting it! Mark
  19. N

st chads school

Hi all. I went to St. Chads also, but a little later than you. I went to the one on Brearly St first, (junior and infants) and then moved to the one behind the Cathedral. Can't remember the exact years, but it was the middle to late 60's. We lived on Hanley St. at the time, and moved to Perry...
  20. N

hanley st newtown

Hi John. It's been a while since I was on this site, so I only just saw your post. I think I lived next door to you on Hanley St. We were in #55. And I do remember the name Fisher. My parents names were Frank & Rita. We lived there from 61-69 then moved to Perry Common. Mark Gaskin
Back