• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. lencops

Faccino's Biscuits - Bromford Lane?

I remember the factory a modern type factory stoppped making biscuits circa 1965 and started making barfeeds for machines which they had done in Coventry they went bust on that and again in in Little Bromford Lane they returned to Military Uniforms Making and are making it a good business. Len
  2. lencops

Shops in parlours

My Mother opened a shop in the parlour (front room) the year i was born 1929 to 1966 she had to close in 1966 because of the building of the Swan Underpass, i have a photo of Mom in the shop which i will post, Len.
  3. lencops

the gaiety cinema coleshill st

My friend John was the son of Mrs Stevenson the caretaker of Handsworth Dairies, circa 1953? does any one remember her?. Len.
  4. lencops

Handsworth Dairies

My friend John Stevenson lived there, he was married at St Andrews Church, Small Heath then we went by private Corporation bus to the reception at Handsworth Daries, his Mother Mrs Stevenson RIP was the Caretaker of the dariy circa 1953?. Len
  5. lencops

Council housing estate within College Rd Kingstanding Rd and Hawthorne road triangle

Re: Council housing estate within College Rd Kingstanding Rd and Hawthorne road trian I always called it "The Pheasy Estate", the part built buildings were used as an American Forces base during WW2. Len.
  6. lencops

Unknown Theatre In Broad St

I think it was called "The Palace of Varietys" and it became the BBC Radio Studios were the "Send for Paul Temple" Programmes were broadcast from. Len.
  7. lencops

Key Hill Cemetery Memorial Inscriptions

Can you confirm if this is Alfred Birds grave, it seems to be in needs of some TLC, Please?. Len.
  8. lencops

WOODCOCK LANE BRIDGE --Grand Union

Harris & Sheldon Shopfitters, occupy the buildings on the site fronting the Woodcock Lane canal /The Avenue corner, Lesleys fuel suppliers was there but have been gone a few years now it is now a car wash, H & S did hire canal barges ( all mod cons!) for holidays but had to give up because...
  9. lencops

Universal Engineering Co

Universal Engineering Company, they were a London Co and came to Birmingham and built some cars circa 1914/ 1916, if find any more info i will pass it on. Len.
  10. lencops

loveday st medical records

Loveday Street Maternity Hospital Birmingham History The Birmingham Lying-in Hospital and Dispensary for the diseases of Women and Children was formed in 1842, and was originally located in St. Mary’s Square, but moved a year later...
  11. lencops

Painting restoration & framing in Brum?

There is a photo framing and accesorey shop on Coventry Rd (A45) L/Hand side going towards the City between Gilbertstone Avenue & The Spice Store?, they may be able to help or take it to Biddles Auction Rooms and ask for their advice. Len.
  12. lencops

Lucas Shaftmoor Lane Branch Works 3

Hi Jim, Remember both of them, when Alan Saville came into BW5 Works Engineers we all had pieces of Red Card and would shout Off!, Off! at him, his language was colourful!!!. Len. Photos-Alan Saville is on the Lucas Volenteer Fire Land Rover. And even this pic of The Causway has gone now. Len,
  13. lencops

Lucas Shaftmoor Lane Branch Works 3

Good Morning Jim, You were on the same work bench as Jack Poole and me, just a baby to me and Jack!!! Cheers Len. Photos from your time in Brum.
  14. lencops

Big Top 1959

The Two Man Sub ,Spitfire, Shot down ME109, were on display at different times during WW2 in Victoria Square near The Town Hall to get people to invest in National Savings and make donations to buy a Spitfire the fighter was named "The City of Birmingham". Len.
  15. lencops

Big Top 1959

The Big Top site, corner Corperation Street/High Street. Len.
  16. lencops

gilbertstone rec moat lane yardley

Good Morning John, Hope you had a good holiday, there was a farm with a moat corner of Harvey Rd/Yew Tree Lane it was there circa 1939/40 very tatty looking and i thought that was were the Moat Lane name came from. Len.
  17. lencops

meadway tavern

The site was occupied by Fine Fare & Netto supermarkets and has now been taken over as an Asda Express. Len.
  18. lencops

Lucas Aerospace Branch Works 5

Hi James, Picked up on this thread this morning have not visited your Mom & Dad recently, hope they are both well and give them my best wishs. Len.
  19. lencops

Sheldon

Kiri Gold is now open again don`t know if its been improved, have never been a customer. Len.
  20. lencops

A short film on slum housing in Bolton Road Small Heath 1973

Posted by berniew, April 20th 2011. Len. A film showing terrible slum houseing in 1973 https://www.macearchive.org/Archive/T...try/19758.html
Back