• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. P

Air raid shelters

From local enquiries, it seems that details of who was where, had what, etc., were gathered by the Police and Council early in the War. Those having a garden got an Anderson Shelter, those without, A Morrison. Many who lived in high intensity areas were allocated to communal Shelters. Those in...
  2. P

Sutton Park

Keepers Pool may have been deep at one time, but by the late 60's when a few of us from Vesey went there in the Summer, it was very muddy, and only just 6 ft deep in the middle. I CAN vouch for it being cold though ! When I joined the Ambulance service, places like these were often the sites of...
  3. P

Henrietta Street Ambulance Station

Re the Renault Ambulances. These originally petrol Masters, came into the old WMAS as Outpatient vehicles. Fitted with rear ramps and hydraulic lowering gear, they were intended for multi-role transport. Using ratchet clamps, you could transport beds & Wheelchairs, etc., where patients /...
  4. P

Southalls factory

On the "Canal World" Discussion Forum, there's an overall map of Bomb hits, (HE and Incendiary) posted last March. Its very low resolution, but illustrates the number dropped. We are 20miles from B'ham City centre here, but in line with Castle Bromwich & Hams Hall, and there were about 100 or so...
  5. P

Double Zero Club

Yes Bob, that's him, I've known him for nearly 50 years. I've been unable to get to HP in the last few weeks owing to pressure of work... will try to do better !
  6. P

Double Zero Club

Bob, Hoar Park is a good venue, and yes, the average age is approaching 80 ! The DZ was a 60's to 70's thing, so its been 50 - 60 years ago. Add that to your (16 in my case) age at the time ...... ! I've seen a DZ Web site, with photos, its very good, but a little hazy in current info. Ray...
  7. P

Sutton Coldfield Motorcycle Club

Paul, SUNBAC disbanded due to lack of members (age !) and a change in the attitude to Motorcycles in the mid to late 60's. The activities of some in the 'Cowsheds' on the parade must have helped. (see Double Zero posts). However, a few did resurrect a sort of club, the Sutton Coldfield Tudor...
  8. P

Motorcycle Factory Location

To add to Bob's post..... My Great Grandfather manufactured the 'Metro' motorcycle just pre WW I in a small garage in Ladywood, (now a grassy knoll !), and like many of the 100 or so similar Motorcycle and Cyclecar Manufacturers assembled these from 'bought in' bits. In the turmoil of post-War...
  9. P

isle of man TT

I'm probably preaching to the converted - but - The bike with the Chrome Tank and leading link forks is a DOT made in Manchester (and still going although in another form), and the other is a DMW made in Dudley (Sedgeley). Both are using the Villiers 2T engine on 'open' pipes - so the noise...
  10. P

Motorcycle Shops

Jimbo - Re your Father In Law's Bikes. The older Picture is of a New Imperial, can't tell from here, but possibly the 150cc version, very popular as a commuter. New Imps were a very competitive B'ham make, several entered the TT races with 'works' riders on board. Oisin - Number plates. During...
  11. P

Rivers : River Rea

Thanks ELLBROWN, know it well, walked past, along, these areas many times from my home in Westminster Rd, taking my young (baby to 5 yrs) son to the Parks, shops or Canal.
  12. P

Motorcycle Shops

Correct Edmund. By 1981 Kings of B'ham was THE biggest multifranchise motorcycle dealer in the B'ham area. Very few machines didn't have a KoB Number plate on them ! Northern Motor Dealers DC Cookes arrived and took over some other firms shops, but made very little impact, and the once thriving...
  13. P

Dudley Road Hospital -Peter Walker

I can confirm Maggieuk's post. The Old buildings at the rear of Dudley Rd were referred to as the Summerfield Hospital when I was in the Ambulance Service. The Workhouse was a separate building. There is /was ? a link road from All Saint's into Dudley Rd when the site was developed, I often...
  14. P

Old Aircraft Over Birmingham May 2013

Yes, Id say a DC 3. We used to get many vintage & classic aircraft fly over my house when the old Coventry Air Displays were on. Occasionally we get them en route to Cosford. The B 17 Flying Fortress used to be a regular, as did some Sopwith Biplanes. No longer tho'.
  15. P

Riland Bedford High School for Girls and Boys.

Thanks pipmk, Yes, his sort of Teacher were dissappearing fast when I left in '71. Already the 'never been out of the academic stream' type were coming in. Most Teachers at BVGS had been in the Services, many had fought in WW II, so had a wider vision of life than that of adhering to Gov't...
  16. P

Riland Bedford High School for Girls and Boys.

Most kids from my Primary school went to Riland Bedford. My brother Andrew was there 1969 - 74. (Well, he used the school bus to get in and out of Sutton, but was rarely at school ! Bill Roberts - what a legend. He came to B.V.G.S. in '68 to teach English. He immediately took a shine to me as I...
  17. P

Velocette factories

Just remembered .... (I'm getting old - sorry !) ... one of the Goodman's started a new Engineering firm a few years ago producing NEW Velocettes to order. I was going to buy one, but family commitments, etc..,
  18. P

Velocette factories

One history that I've got somewhere records over 100 separate Motorcycle 'factories' in the greater B'ham area. The Most well known are, of course, the BSA at Armoury Rd, Triumph at Meriden, and Norton at Bracebridge St. James & Excelsior were at Tyseley , (now part of the I-Mex site), Velocette...
  19. P

Slade Lane Roughley

Correct David F, "Hill" is still used to describe what is now referred to as Mere Green. The Church is St James 'Hill' and when I was at Sutton College in the 70's the Annex, (just off the island) was known as 'Hill'. There is Hill Hook Road, etc., I'd imagine that prior to the post WW 1...
  20. P

Slade Lane Roughley

3rd attempt - each time I post it disappears ! Hello Pamela, You are not far from me. I know the area well, and also Hughie & Bill Williets, having used their businesses several times. I have no idea about the house numbers, but I'll bet B'ham Council do ! You see most of the fields from Turf...
Back