• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Morturn

WWII Gas Mask

This is an object I picked up in a junk shop recently. I think it’s a WWII civilian gasmask. Am I correct and can anyone tell me any more information about it? Thanks.
  2. Morturn

The Newcomen Society Events

The Birmingham Branch of The Newcomen Society has started it winter programme of monthly lectures on the first Wednesday of each month. These events are free to attend, but a small donation is always welcome. The Thinkthank lecture theatre is a super venue for these talks so please feel fee to...
  3. Morturn

The Hurricane

The Imperial War Museum has produced a super film all about the Hurricane. I know there has been an ongoing debate about the virtues of both the Spitfire and the Hurricane, I think this film is a well-balanced view. I am fortunate in that I worked with a WWII Hurricane pilot. He was engaged in...
  4. Morturn

What Happened to Disabled First World War Veterans

There a nice blog post on the Historic England website entitled: What Happened to Disabled First World War Veterans. Well worth a look at Click here to find out more.
  5. Morturn

Member Question - Why I am the only member, on line with (NO appreciate) tag on my site?

Can anyone offer help or advice to our member Paul Stacey regarding the forum? Paul is saying “Could I ask the "Administrators", why I am the only member, online with (NO appreciate) tag on my site?” I assumed it maybe his computer or browser settings because he has had over 500 appreciates...
  6. Morturn

Commonwealth Games Bull

I popped into the city centre today to have a look at the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony Bull. He is indeed a magnificent beast, hundreds of people there to see him and taking photos. I spoke to his designer and builder, Mike Kelt who was also taken back by the popularity of the bull too...
  7. Morturn

History West Midlands Podcast - Cholera and clean water in the Black Country

How Victorian engineers of South Staffordshire Waterworks brought clean water from Lichfield to the Black Country to eliminate the scourge of cholera which was killing up to 20% of the population. Cholera and clean water in the Black Country
  8. Morturn

Seven Unusual or Lost Occupations from History

A super article from the British Newspaper Archive exploring Seven Unusual or Lost Occupations from History.
  9. Morturn

British house styles across the ages

There is quite an interesting article that has been written on the website of Homes and Antiques, detailing the house styles across the ages. Well worth a look here
  10. Morturn

Erdington Market Closing Down.

Erdington Market, or Old Erdington Market to define it from the newer Wilton Market is closing its doors for the final time on 30 April 2022. I grew up in Erdington and have some very fond memories of the market, my mom was a regular visitor. I recall that up until the mid-70’s it was a vibrant...
  11. Morturn

The experience of children in Britain

A really super article about the experience of children in Britain well worth a look.
  12. Morturn

Some more of Bob Moore's photos of Brum's inner city from the mid '60s to the mid '70s.

I could just not resist this is a super set of photos posted on Face Book by Angel Archer on the Old Pics of Brum page. The narrative is refreshing and perfectly reflects the curse of the rose-tinted spectacles of a golden age that never was. Living and working in conditions like this was not a...
  13. Morturn

Peter Pan book found

This is a challenge with a difference for the Birmingham History Forum members. The BBC are looking for the for-owner of a 1943 Peter Pan book found in France. See the BBC article here for further details.
  14. Morturn

Nechells

An interesting short film from the early 1960 showing the redevelopment of Nechells
  15. Morturn

History of Birmingham Corporation Tramways

One of the volunteers at the trust I am chairman of has given us a presentation of his research relating to the Birmingham Tramways system. I recorded the presentation and have productised a podcast. Here is part 1 of 3 History of Birmingham Corporation Tramways Part 1 of 3 - Lichfield...
  16. Morturn

Harborne Motorcycle School

Does anyone remember Harbourne Motorcycle School, or its location
  17. Morturn

Birmingham Fazeley Canal Hughes Wheels

This has been here for years, next to the Birmingham Fazley Canal, a few hundred yards past the Tyburn House pub. Anyone care to guess what it is?
  18. Morturn

Schools, Colleges and University’s – Please read before posting

We love to hear your school stories. Schooling and education are a significant chapter in our lives. The experiences of school and the relationships with the teaching staff shape us significantly and are part of our history. A lot of people had very positive experiences at school. Importantly...
  19. Morturn

Schools, Colleges and University’s – Please read before posting

We love to hear your school stories. Schooling and education are a significant chapter in our lives. The experiences of school and the relationships with the teaching staff shape us significantly and are part of our history. A lot of people had very positive experiences at school. Importantly...
  20. Morturn

The story of the Cholera Pandemic

This is an absolutely fascinating story of the Cholera pandemic and how it was bought to an end https://www.creativeblackcountry.co.uk/blog/2020/10/4/bostin-news-rising-from-a-pandemic-by-al-barz
Back