• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. E

John Rabone & Sons of Hockley rulers tapes and tools

Hi all, my late brother Ron Jones worked at Rabones as an electrical fitter in the mid 50s he often spoke about his time there, he emigrated to Australia in the 60s,and would always remember with great affection some of the people he new and worked with at Rabones, as they say you can take the...
  2. E

Park Road Hockley

Hi, my name is Ted Jones,i came out of Park Rd Hockley, i had a good friend named David Harris he lived just past Goode St, on the right hand side of Park Rd going up the hill, i dont recall him having any brothers or sisters though, his dad was in the Royal Navy, it would have been 1950/52 i...
  3. E

Not Forgotten. By Neil Oliver.

A very interesting book, mainly dealing with the 1st world war, the impact that had on so many familys, interjects with many unknown facts, well worth a read.
  4. E

Rabones, manufacturers, Hockley, Birmingham.

Hi all, my late brother Ronald Jones recently passed away in Australia, he worked at Rabones in Hockley in the mid 50s, he was a fitter/maintenance guy, he had lived in Australia for 52yrs but would always remain a proud Brummie, very often he would remark about his job at Rabones, and the...
  5. E

Birmingham Gas

Hi all, I have a lamp post similar to the one shown, I purchased it from the Bham city highways Dept 35yrs ago, I converted it to Electric light and it now stands in my front garden, I had to remake the lantern head as it was missing. Regards Eddyjay.
  6. E

Dollman family Birmingham

When I worked at Harrisons in Bradford St, in the toolroom, in the 60s there was a Roy Dolman worked there, I believe he was a twin, he lived at Kings Heath, Regards Eddyjay.
  7. E

Kane family!

I wonder if this family were related to a guy we knew in Park Rd Hockley, his name was Eddie Kane,this would of been in the 1940s. my brother in Australia would love to know if he is still around.Regards Eddyjay.
  8. E

The Nipper. By Charlie Mitchell.

Again another good read from my local Charity shop, a little lads story of his violent childhood in Dundee during the eighties, his father would regularly beat him senseless, for no good reason other than he could, a chilling reminder of the kind of scum that is always around.
  9. E

The Gun Gallery In Frederick Street. Hockley.

Hi all, as a kid from Hockley in the fifties, I used to love going to see this wonderfull collection of guns at what we called the Gun Gallery in I believe Frederick Street Hockley, what happened to this place? I no longer live in Birmingham but would really like to know whether it exists...
  10. E

The Forgotten Dead. By Ken Small.

Hi all, I first read this book years ago, my daughter recently bought me another copy, it tells the story of the author uncovering the hidden details of the tragedy which occurred prior to the Normandy landings,and involved mainly American troops. An excellent read.
  11. E

Birmingham's Button Industry and Factories

Hi all, I worked at Buttons in warstone lane in the sixtys,as a young toolmaker it was a real eyeopener to see and use tools that were made in Victorian times, wonderfull engraving on button tools all done by hand, the combination tools which blanked/raised and pierced in one operation were...
  12. E

Abbey St, Hockley, Strawbridge Blacksmiths Family History Wanted For Kathryn Strawbridge

Hi all, I well remember a blacksmith called Arnold,i think that was his first name, he shoed large dray type horses his workshop backed on to I think the railway line, at the top end of Abbey St, relatives of mine had a polishing shop at the back end of his Smithy, I have seen those horses kick...
  13. E

Any Free Way Of Tracing Family

Hi all, I have tried several so called free sites, but inevitably you are required to pay, please help if you can, Many thanks Eddyjay.
  14. E

The Forgotten Highlander. By Alistair Urquhart.

It beggars belief what some of those guys went thru at the hands of the Japanese in the last war, and worse still the treatment they got from the British government on returning home.
  15. E

Unable To Login To Acess My Emails.

Hi all, really getting desperate trying to enter my password, it will not allow me into my yahoo page, I have tried several times changing passwords as it advises, but no luck, any advice or help please. Regards Eddyjay.
  16. E

Against All Odds. By Paul Connolly.

A very frightening account of a boy placed in care in London.
  17. E

Fred Dibnahs Victorian Heroes By David Hall.

Hi all,not everyones cup of tea, but for those that like to read about Britains wonderful inventors/engineers this book offers a real insight into what made us the worlds best. Regards Eddyjay.
  18. E

Park Road Hockley

Hi all, just as a matter of interest to anyone who lived in Park Rd, the secondhand shop almost opposite the pub called the Royal Exchange was known as Bibbys, I believe they were Irish people, between the Exchange and further down my Grans chip shop, was a rather grotty shop called Sterns, who...
  19. E

The Last Fighting Tommy. The Life Of Harry Patch, Last Veteran Of The 1st World War

An biography of the very last British soldier of world war one, he was 111 years old and died in 2009, well worth a read.
  20. E

Phelps family of ford street hockly brook 1950s

Hi all, I well remember the Phelps brothers, I used to play table tennis with the younger one, Brian? this was at a youth club in I think Heaton St. I don't think I ever won though, Regards Ted J.
Back