• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. doug1944

Berry Hall and the Tippetts family

Does anyone have any knowledge of Berry Hall, which I am told was situated on the Solihull side of town. The family who lived there were the Tippetts, who I believe had transport connections. My interest is that a long departed family friend, Mary Taylor, was in service with them, and the...
  2. doug1944

Caravan Holidays

Hi. I started thinking of all the Caravan holidays which we took in the 1930`s, 40`s, 50`s and 60`s. I can recall North Wales, West Wales, Weston, Devon (North and South ), Cornwall, Dorset and Norfolk. The vans were gaslit, water by carrier, curtains, condensation, bunk beds with blankets, 2...
  3. doug1944

What make is Uncle Harry`s car ?

This is Uncle Harry and Aunty Vi with their first car in 1930. I dont know the make of car but someone suggested it may be a Jowett. Anyone got any ideas ?
  4. doug1944

Roy Holder Brummie Actor

Hi Does anyone remember Roy Trevor Holder ? I think he was born in Aston in 1946, and went to school with my pal Dave. Roy was picked whilst still at school to appear on TV and has been working from 1961 to the current day in Film and TV, which makes it 50 years on my reckoning. Well done Roy !
  5. doug1944

Carnivals

Hi . Do they still have local Carnivals in Brum these days ? I know they have the Handsworth Carnival still, but there used to be smaller local carnivals. These photo`s were of Acocks Green in the late 1970`s. Any more photo`s ?
  6. doug1944

Like Granma, like grandaughter !

I often wondered where Anne`s love of beer came from. This photo, lurking with others in some paperwork, reveals all ! Taken in 1950 near Earlswood when Anne was 4 years old, with a half of mild in front of Anne and her Granma ! Anne says that Granma always had a quart of stout every night...
  7. doug1944

Uncle Wal in the Bren Carrier

Hi. This photo was amongst some family things that were passed on to me. The back of the photo is marked `Egypt 1946` and my Uncle Wal is the person on the right. What I don`t understand is that Uncle Wal was captured during the Korean War, so is it possible to be in Egypt in 1946, or is the...
  8. doug1944

D Day Medals

Hi. Don`t know if this has been covered before. I think it was in the late 1980`s that a medal was struck for D Day participents, but to receive the medal, recipiants had to travel to France. Obviously this was out of the question for many people who could not travel, and the cause was taken up...
  9. doug1944

M5 Motorway 45 years ago.

I was looking at this old photo I took of the M5 near Lydiate Ash in 1966. What a difference to todays Motorway. No speed limit, no Armco, no central barrier, no lighting, only 2 lanes and only 5 cars in sight !Happy Days.
  10. doug1944

Great War ending School Certificate

Looking through some of my dear departed Mum`s things, I found her Certificate from school commemorating the end of the Great War. Although born in Cannock, her adult life was spent in South Yardley, before passing away at a tragically young age of 33 with cancer. I was only four years of age...
  11. doug1944

Thunder and Lightening !

Don`t know if this is the right place, but what happened to the old idea`s about thunder and lightening ? My dear wifes granma used to open the front and back doors `to let the thunderbolt through`,turn the mirrors to face the wall, cover the cutlery over, no metal knitting pins, etc. No wonder...
  12. doug1944

What make of bicycle is this ?

In the early 1950`s my dad had a gents bike that had rectangular tubing for the frame instead of the usual round tubing. I have never seen one since. Any ideas ?
  13. doug1944

Strange Coincidence

In 1980, having never been allowed a motor bike in my youth, I got interested through my pal in old British Motorbikes. A 1934 BSA 250 in bits was located and purchased. With the help of my pal the bike was restored and rebuilt into as-new condition, and I joined the VMCC. I used the bike on...
  14. doug1944

Reynolds, Ladypool Road lock-up sweetshop

Does anyone remember the little lock-up sweet shop in Ladypool Rd run by my wifes parents Stan and Eileen Reynolds? We can`t remember the street number, but it was opposite Runcorn Road, close to what later became K K Maini supermarket. We think the sweet shop operated late 1950`s to early1960`s...
  15. doug1944

Sutton Coldfield to Stirling Motorail Car Sleeper

Hi Does anyone remember the evening Motorail train (I think it went on Sat) which carried peoples cars in vans whilst the passengers had sleeping berths. It left Sutton going north via Lichfield and because of the slippy start through the tunnel was always assisted in the rear by a banking...
  16. doug1944

Royal Betrothal Photo

Hi. Thought you may find interesting this postcard that I found inbetween pages of an old book.The postcard is titled `The Royal Betrothal` and the text says`Princess Elizabeth and Lieut. Philip Mountbatten RN photographed together at Buckingham Palace.` Any idea what year this could be ?
Back