• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. T

Police Books

I am travelling down to Birmingham when the new central library opens in September. In the Archives Section I will be researching a Mildred White, the first woman to be attested in England in 1918 who was in the Birmingham City Police Force from 1925 until retirement in 1937. To save me time (I...
  2. T

Wells Street Digbeth

Can anyone tell me please where Wells Street was. Many thanks. Timothy.
  3. T

Lodge Hill Cemetery,Detective Supt. Gerald Van Helden buried 1901

15th May or June 1901 I am writing the biography of an ancestor of mine, whose boss and a family friend was Gerald Van Helden. He was a Detective Superintendent of the Birmingham City Police, and died very suddenly whilst in office in May or June 1901. I have a newspaper report which says he was...
  4. T

Electoral Rolls, who qualified in 1904 ?

I have a situation where an ancestor, an Inspector in the Birmingham Police, got promoted to Chief Constable and moved to Halifax. In Birmingham he lived with his father in law in Aston as a Lodger. On arrival at Halifax he is listed at an address in the 1903/04 and 05 Electoral Roll books. I...
  5. T

Banks/Bankes Rd, off Charles Rd Small Heath.

A few weeks ago this forum very kindly pin pointed an address in Digbeth for me, showing me an 1890's map and a modern day map-for which I was very grateful. May I ask for another address? This time it is for 8 Banks/Bankes Rd, off Charles Rd. Small Heath Birmingham. I have No. 8 as this...
  6. T

Baptism of Alfred Richardson at St Martins.

Firstly, as a new comer, may I thank anyone for taking the time and trouble to look up my request. Alfred Herbert Richardson was born on the 1st February 1874. I do not know the date of his baptism but the locaton was Birmingham. The family in 1881 lived at Back Digbeth just opposite St Martins...
  7. T

Richardson Frank/Mary

Frank and Mary Richardson lived at 139 Back Digbeth Birmingham in the 1881 census. I have looked for this address in the large scale maps at Birmingham Library just to get an idea of the area they were living in, without success. Frank was a Policeman attached to 4 Division which I think would...
Back