• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. jel

Pagett , Canal Dredging

I have left a post in the past, but cannot see it now. I’m not sure if the original owner of the post has looked since 2008. I remember Pagetts garage, and tip. It was on college Road Perry Barr. Opposite where my grandfather lived as a lock keeper on lock 10. Here is a picture of my...
  2. jel

Perry Barr canal tip

Viv, my grandads cottage was 83, College Road, lock house, so they must have been on the same side of the road I should think, but I’ve never been able to trace it in any census records. I think before the British waterways purchased it, it may have been an old farm building. It was actually two...
  3. jel

Perry Barr canal tip

Wow interesting post
  4. jel

Perry Barr canal tip

Lovely Viv, my mom would have been 15 at this time, 1934. So he was probably a bit young to catch my moms eye at this time. Lol. Love the pic.
  5. jel

Perry Barr canal tip

Viv, what was their names?
  6. jel

Perry Barr canal tip

Hi Viv, yes a picture would be nice. My mom said there were so few homes when she moved to the canal cottage in 1928, that they knew everyone around, from the meeting place The Boars Head of course.
  7. jel

Perry Barr canal tip

Yes, I’m sure they did, especially if they went in the Boars Head. They used to go there every night for the last half hour and for one drink. They did know quite a few people in the bungalows but I cannot remember any names now. The only people I can remember are the ‘parkers’ or ‘parks’ who...
  8. jel

Perry Barr canal tip

Red is my grandads cottage, yellow Pagetts garage.
  9. jel

Perry Barr canal tip

10. jel

Perry Barr canal tip

Thanks, hope the other person finds this post.
  11. jel

Perry Barr canal tip

I’ve been looking for years for my grandads cottage on a map, and I can see it on this map! Wow, and the large bill board in the Garden. It’s just up from the Boards Head, the Garden ran to the end bungalow. How lovely to see it. Here is the only picture I have of it. Pagetts garage was to the...
  12. jel

Perry Barr canal tip

13. jel

Perry Barr canal tip

This post is such a long time ago, but I have only just come across it. Yes, I remember Mr Padgett, as a child. His garage was opposite where my nan and grandad lived in a cottage on the canal side, lock 10. Paggetts garage faced the College road, with the canal to the side. I think he used to...
  14. jel

goldingay family

Glad you saw the post. Yes, although I had no further contact after we parted, (50 years ago) cannot believe where time has gone, it was still a shock to see he passed in 2007. Cheers, all the best.
  15. jel

goldingay family

More info on Alan Goldingay born 1943-2007. The Alan I knew did work at one time for R.Whites pops. I was engaged to him for three years from age 18/21. He was 6' 5" that I remember, I was 5' 2'. He lived in Washwood Heath/Saltley area. Cannot remember the road now. He was my first...
Back