• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. ChrisM

The Home Guard - Geoffrey Bennett and the 39th Warwickshire (Birmingham) Battalion

I imagine that the answer to Pedrocut's question about protocols at the time is that it was simple in the extreme. It certainly was for me. As has already been stated, a straightforward rule: "Never EVER point a firearm in the direction of someone, however absolutely certain you are that it is...
  2. ChrisM

its mikejees birthday

All the best, Mike! Chris
  3. ChrisM

IN OUR GARDEN 2024

When you finally get around to tidying up your garage because you've lost something, it's quite surprising what you find. The blighter on the top shelf of the cupboard who pinched some of the peanuts intended for the blue tits was at least tidy. Unlike his mates on the bottom shelf who...
  4. ChrisM

RIP john houghton (aka gingerjon)

It's very sad to lose John. The Forum owes him much. Chris
  5. ChrisM

Deciphering Name On Census Record

A male maker is someone who makes travelling bags. Intensive research tells me that the term comes from Royal Mail and their post bags. So presumably “Weaver’s ……..” (A valuable bit of information we should all tuck away for future use.) Chris
  6. ChrisM

Apparent random problem with the forum

It would be good news indeed if we knew for certain that the problem was with "them" rather than with "us". We still don't really know why the majority of members using Chrome (including me) never had the slightest difficulty and why, therefore, it should have affected only those members who...
  7. ChrisM

Birmingham Newspapers 1939-1945

That was a happier outcome than the one later in the month when the City of Benares was sunk with the loss of many lives including those of children. At around that time, an American friend of my father offered my sister and me a safe haven in the USA for the duration. I wasn't aware at the...
  8. ChrisM

Black over Bill's Mothers

Still use it myself....must have come from my parents or my time working for a Wolverhampton company. Chris
  9. ChrisM

Missing data from Forum

Dave, It looks like no mention of "Lote" anywhere, as Astoness says. However you did make a brief mention of "Lotes" as follows: Kingstanding My brother would remember all of them - I'll get him to respond - mind you - you do say late 50's - we moved from 123 Hurlingham (next to the Lotes) in...
  10. ChrisM

John Ball and F Leonard Ball photographic collection

Thanks for unearthing that, Lyn. How do such wonderful things come to be buried and forgotten about, even with our well-structured site? We almost need a determined effort to comb through some of the older threads and "bump" them up, Facebook style. Great credit to the gentleman concerned: he...
  11. ChrisM

IN OUR GARDEN 2024

Perishing things are now bringing their mates. "Hey, try over here - not everything's squirrel-proof. Especially fatballs. You can do the silly gymnastics if you're really that mad on peanuts. Too much like hard work for me. I'll just sit in comfort on the top of the trellis. And munch".
  12. ChrisM

Women war workers of Birmingham

I suspect that whatever aircraft type they were working on, it would be one which was fairly quickly superseded by more modern types. We are talking here mainly about WW1 technology - obviously still around and probably used for quite a long period in some aircraft designs, for example for tail...
  13. ChrisM

Warwickshire Home Guard

Disappointing! It's worth noting that, as the war progressed, suitable O/Rs and NCOs WERE commissioned. Suspect G C Coughlin was one of these - he doesn't appear in the first Officers List of February 1941. Whereas A.J. Walker, M.M. does. But not in the 46th Warwickshire. He was, in 1941...
  14. ChrisM

Warwickshire Home Guard

Very sorry not to have remembered, Biscayne, and haven't had the opportunity of checking emails from that time. So, it looks as though all this might be new to Eric. What you have provided looks as though it will be very useful. I'll have a good look into it just as soon as I can. Chris
  15. ChrisM

Warwickshire Home Guard

Thanks, Biscayne. I have reminded myself that there is, also there, further information and an image of Lt. Walker. I can't check at the moment where that information originally came from. It was certainly provided to me by a grandson. Chris
  16. ChrisM

Warwickshire Home Guard

The site is perfectly safe and should normally allow satisfactory viewing. (It's mine!) It seems as those names have been lurking in the staffshomeguard website for a long time. Names will normally be found by using the site Search function there; but not unfortunately when they are tucked away...
  17. ChrisM

We are all groping around for causes and for solutions, until we establish what precisely has happened. So far no one has been entirely right and no one wrong. We may still stumble on an answer/workaround applicable to everyone - although I have my doubts about that. There has to be a strong...
  18. ChrisM

You may be right, aston lad - but it doesn't seem to explain why, suddenly and apparently simultaneously, a number of members have started to have an identical problem - even when using different browsers and operating systems. We have asked Warren if he can apply his expertise and experience...
  19. ChrisM

Thanks, Lyn. So the problem covers both Chrome and Edge.... If we want to get Warren to investigate this - and we need to as even using the workaround the situation isn't wholly satusfactory - we badly need more examples which might start to show some pattern. Chris
  20. ChrisM

Thank you to RRJ for giving us a workaround for this new problem which a few members seem to have encountered. Has anyone else had a problem? If so, please let us know here. Please at the same time advise browser being used and also type of device. Chris
Back