• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Robert Holland

Thomas Middlemore MP ?

In researching the history of Edgbaston Archery & Lawn Tennis Society, the oldest lawn tennis club in the world, I find listed in our membership record of 1902 one Thomas Middlemore MP and his wife. He was a member 1865-1883 and his wife 1882-1883. What puzzles me is that I can find no record of...
  2. Robert Holland

Pioneers of Lawn Tennis

It has been suggested that Gem and Perera may no longer be regarded as lawn tennis pioneers as the game they were playing was an outdoor version of Rackets. This meaning also that their club, formed 1874, in Leamington Spa may no longer be regarded as the first lawn tennis club in the world...
  3. Robert Holland

Kinnersley T C S Stipendiary Magistrate

Kynnersley was Birmingham's first stipendiary, appointed in 1856 and held the position for thirty years. He was a member of the Edgbaston Archery Society, now Edgbaston Archery & Lawn Tennis Society. I am engaged in researching and writing the history of this the oldest lawn tennis club in the...
  4. Robert Holland

Villiers Blakemore

I am researching the Blakemore family, who were members of Edgbaston Archery & Lawn Tennis Society at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. Villiers’ daughter Edith was befriended by Lewis Carroll and they engaged in a very cordial correspondence over some twenty years. I find that they lived...
  5. Robert Holland

Barnsley, Elizabeth

I'm interested in and trying to find out more about an Elizabeth Barnsley who had an illegitimate son Thomas Henry, baptised at Handsworth 11th July 1819. Our best bets about Elizabeth are that she could have been the daughter of James and Mary Barnsley, born 1797, or of Thomas and Elizabeth and...
  6. Robert Holland

1911 Birmingham Orphanage

It appears, from the 1901 census, that Kate Pearson, a great great aunt of mine, was running a small orphanage in Lee Crescent Edgbaston by the name of Crowley or Bromley Orphanage. Any ideas where I might find out more?
Back