• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. P

Sherbourne Mill / Baldwin & Sons Paper Mill

Hi VBALDWIN, It's good to hear from you. I'm the great grandson of TB Smith, who was apprenticed from about 1851 to about 1861 to his uncle James Baldwin, the founder of Baldwin and Son, after which TBS left to start his own business, SS&K, with two friends. I guess that TBS was deeply...
  2. P

Hi and thank you, I think there are several of us who would love to hear from your mother, to read her memories of Sherborne Mill and to see her photo. Please do encourage her to get in touch.
  3. P

Thank you Michelle, That's a very useful addition. According to Pigot's 1835 Directory, at 74 Newhall Street were: Smith & Son, Gilt toy maker, Pearl ornament maker, Pearl button manufacturer and Black ornament maker. I assume, but cannot prove that this may have been the father and...
  4. P

Hi Michelle, We have to consider the possibility there were two couples named Joseph and Ann Baldwin baptising their children in Solihull in the 1790s. That would be most unhelpful of them. Peter Seymour Smith's brothers had middle names including Chippendale, Mattock, and Parker, all of which...
  5. P

Hi Michelle, I've been trying to remember how I've come to believe that my gg grandmother was born a Baldwin. I can't remember anything in writing, but I remember being informed that TB Smith was apprenticed to his uncle James Baldwin at his Kings Norton paper mill. These family traditions...
  6. P

Hi Michelle, One extra piece of information that might interest you. My uncle died recently and I've been in charge of clearing his house. Amongst several interesting old ledgers etc. is a record book entitled Baldwin & Son - Furnish Book, given by Mr ML Howlett when King's Norton Paper Mill...
  7. P

Hi Michelle, My apologies, I always seem to get my Anns and Marys mixed up. I believe my gg grandmother Ann Baldwin (mother of TBS) was born 29/08/1794 in Solihull, the daughter of Joseph and Ann Baldwin. I believe that James Baldwin the papermaker was born 27/05/1801 in Solihull to the...
  8. P

Hi, I've just spotted your query from three years ago. Are you still interested? My great grandfather Thomas Bird Smith served his apprenticeship at his uncle James Baldwin's paper mill at Kings Norton. TB Smith's mother was Mary Baldwin. I understand it was expected that TBS would go on...
Back