• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. G

Social security office Beacon Hill

Hi John, Did you work there right to the very end of 1985? Oddly enough, I arrived on a transfer from Castle Bromwich Skill Centre as it was due to be shut down. Turned up early September but knew immediately I'd made a big mistake when I saw the metal cabinet with all the files of codes, rules...
  2. G

Wylde Green School, Green Lanes School

Can you remember how many other boys and girls passed the 11+ Exam from your year group? I read somewhere that it was only ever a small minority in most schools nationally. I always remember a boy by the name of Nicholas Miles who lived in Emmanuel Road. He was always top of the class, he came...
  3. G

Looks like Mr. Agnew was there for two years between April 1964 to April 1966. Yes, I remember headmaster Mr. Lawson, he is on one of the staff photos. A gentle giant, a very nice gentleman. His successor in 1967, Mr. Stones was rather stern, strong on discipline. I think there was a bit of...
  4. G

I have just come across another website which has lots of photos, who knows you may be there, also Mr. Agnew? It is ....''Green Lanes | Sutton Coldfield Local History Research Group''. I missed out the name of Mrs. Crook. She was my teacher in the 3rd year of infants. In what year, did you take...
  5. G

If you google...''The History Of the Green Lanes Schools - S/C 1840-1980''...you will find a very comprehensive and detailed account of our old school. Best to scroll right down to the very end. You will find a long list of teacher names and some old B/W photos of the staff. Mr. Agnew may be...
  6. G

Wow, amazing photo of that Aladdin play but in what year was it staged? I remember that I was chosen by my 2nd year infants teacher, Mrs. Shuttleworth, to be Joseph in the Nativity Play in 1964. But I knew instinctively even in that tiny little 6 year old mind of mine that I did not want to be...
  7. G

Great info. Wayne - I thought it was you! Must have been a rumour about Graham I got wrong. Think he is on the back row of that photo as you are and also Ian Smith, Brian Dawson, Keith Johnson, Nigel Smith, the little black lad was Everton Spence always smiling, he had a leg caliper due to...
  8. G

Good reply, good memory after all! Yes, that was me, I lived at the bungalow, no.131 end property. Wonder if that teacher was Mrs. Showell, I was with her in my final year class? Yes, I remember those lads, vaguely recall that Graham died in the early 80's. Like me, Simon went on to...
  9. G

Just posted a general chocks2....Just to say Hello.....I went to the same junior school as you - Wylde Green County Primary School and I left in the same year as you - 1969. I remember Mr. Ellison, he was my last but one teacher. Think he was Welsh but I never knew he was a Leeds fan! Oddly, I...
Back