• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. B

Nan's Health Warning...1947...

Yes, we all panicked a bit when we swallowed chewing gum in the 50's. I like the other contributor telling us that gum included a paraffin ingredient which could cause problems. I'd have never had any had I known - or would I ? I remember a lot of the sayings on these pages, now that I've been...
  2. B

Birmingham Schools Football History / & photos

Just as a contribution. I went to Pheasey County Secondary Modern which , in fact, iis n Staffordshire. Back in the day as we were (and still is) border landers - we never knew whether to speak Black Country or Brummie - we played in the Aston Schools League. This made complete sense as we were...
  3. B

Women in industry WW1 and WW2

Great photo contribution. I am currently reading a book titled Masters of The Post by Duncan Campbell Smith. The book informs us of the history of the postal service from 17th to 20th century and its development. While not specifically about womens significant contribution in war time there is...
  4. B

US Base Pheasey Estate

Good photo looking onto the stage Good photo looking onto the stage. As far as I recall the back wall and doors in the picture of the stage were added to a accommodate construction of the two classrooms behind the artificial wall. The original stage went back much further. Nice to see that the...
  5. B

US Base Pheasey Estate

I wonder if this was the Commanding Officer of a tale I've mentioned here before? The Home Guard (including my Dad) were asked to act out being enemy forces and protect Barr Beacon from invading allied forces aka the regiment based on Pheasey. This was organised to 1. give the US corps...
  6. B

US Base Pheasey Estate

Collingwood Drive School. I attended 1959 to 1964. About 1962 the school developed a 5th Year GCE O Level form for the "elite". I, of course, was amongst the group in my years 59-64. (Don't shout it's a rare occasion I get to brag about something!! ). At one time my form class was in the huts...
  7. B

Queslet Road pubs The Old Horns,The Trees and the Deers Leap

I used to take up my guard, right by the weighing scales, which let's say a few years before this photo and those shops were built say from 1956 onwards. So I have spent the last, at least 50 plus years telling everybody about my Niblet snack when in fact they were Nibbets. No wonder nobody...
  8. B

Queslet Road pubs The Old Horns,The Trees and the Deers Leap

Ah! The Old Horns. I have stood outside those doors many Saturday afternoons for about 2 hours while Dad had his pint of Mild and visited the illegal off course bookies house opposite on the Bham side. Niblets and Vimto were my snack and drink of the day. In the Summer families came down and...
  9. B

Birmingham buses

I hope the contributors here don't mind me adding my pennyworth! Probably nothing to do with any focus currently being discussed. I lived on Pheasey Estate b1947 As a kid we had the great bus luxury of having the Warwicks, Staffordshire border on the Queslett Rd. Pheasey in the '50s was in...
  10. B

US Base Pheasey Estate

Looking at the video, as it swings left with a green area. On that site in the 50,s was a caravan cafe, run by an ex Corporation (BHam) bus driver. It was ideal for a rest for the 29a bus drivers at its terminus after the long route over to Yardley Wood area of the City. He later moved to the...
  11. B

US Base Pheasey Estate

Ah yes! Pheasey Community Centre. Thanks for this. No doubt already pin pointed as to its location. But I'll tell you what I think I know - because I can ! It was located next to the Collingwood Drive School, playground entrance, on Hillingford Ave. We called it "The Old Barn". I think I am...
Back