• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. G

Museum of the Jewellery Quarter - 75-80 Vyse Street, Hockley, Birmingham, B18 6HA.

Sorry to hear this very sad news. The museum is a unique part of the history of Birmingham and will be sadly missed. Lets hope that it can be re opened very soon in better times. We visited the museum a few years ago and so much related to our family history.
  2. G

The Cadbury Family

Congratulations to Cadbury's reaching this well deserved new milestone in their long illustrious part of Birmingham History. I went to school in Bournville between 1955 and 1961 and enjoyed the surrounding environment. Members of the Cadbury family always came to the school prize day
  3. G

Ian Lavender RIP

Sorry to hear sad news yesterday about Ian Lavender. I was at Bournville Boy's Technical Grammar school between 1952 -1958 so Ian would have would have attended 2-3 years later than me. I remember the school had a very good drama society and put on some excellent production. Ian later had stage...
  4. G

The Soho Manufactory

Likewise Mike - look forward to reading your article soon
  5. G

Jay Blades : The Midlands Through Time

Last Friday night I watched 'The Graham Norton Show' on BBC 1 . Jay Blades was one of his guests. He bravely talked about all his personal problems in 2017 and his move to Wolverhampton. He was greatly helped by one particular person in Wolverhampton to get back on his feet who was in the...
  6. G

Sadly the third and final episode aired last night on Channel 5. Once again Jay brimmed with enthusiasm discovering more Midlands characters this time in the 20th Century. I knew about quite a few but there were some I hadn't heard of before. He initially concentrated and featured Coventry...
  7. G

Again I enjoyed part 2 of Jay Blades refreshing approach last night looking at a wide range of 19th Century trades and industries most of which are relevant, strongly connected to my personal family history research and growing up in the Midlands. My own personal highlights were as follows:- -...
  8. G

Thank you for your clarification
  9. G

The Repair Shop is based near Goodwood /Chichester at the Weald Museum on South Downs
  10. G

I enjoyed watching 1st Episode aired last night on Channel 5 at 9.00pm. Refreshing approach to key past historical figures in the Midlands and their achievements. I am looking forward to the next 2 episodes
  11. G

Nailers and nailmaking

Thank you to 3 contributors to very interesting links on Nail Making in West Midlands in 1800's. A few years ago I visited the preserved working Nail Shop at the Black Country Living Museum near Tipton and Dudley . Originally it was sited in Halesowen in West Midlands in 1880. My maternal great...
  12. G

Snow Hill Station

Thank you Biscayne for such wonderful footage. It brought back many happy memories of train spotting on Snow Hill Station in mid to late 1950's. Me and my friends caught a local stopping GWR train at Soho & Winson Green station for a few old pennies excitally alighting at the station . I was...
  13. G

Holyhead Road

Thank you Pedrocut for a superb early photograph of Holyhead Road and Asbury Memorial Church with a spire, looking down towards Milestone Lane and Booth Street. The church no longer has a spire
  14. G

History of Vyse Street

Thank you Pedrocut for image link showing a typical workshop at 94 Vyse Street in Birmingham Jewellery Quarter. Would it have ever met current UK Health and Safety at Work Acts and Electrical Regulations - doubtful. Also shows the small spaces that workers had to produced their skilled work
  15. G

History of Vyse Street

Thank you for letting me know his name (wish you well with your future researching)
  16. G

History of Vyse Street

Thank you Farmerchris 1. What was your grandfather's name? My wife's grandfather was a Seal Stone Engraver at 100 Vyse Street (Own Occupation) on 1921 Census when he returned from Ypres during WW1
  17. G

Crossroads programme

Yes that is correct. My wife's Aunt & Uncle had an apartment opposite who confirmed that Nolly had an apartment across the road from her
  18. G

Asbury Memorial Church Holyhead Road

Thank you for the 1943 sketch. We were married here in 1966. I expect alot of changes around the church Dedicated to Bishop Francis Asbury who took Methodism to USA. Yes his house is still on the Newton Road near Great Barr
  19. G

Snow Hill Station

Thank you for great picture of GWR Railcar which I remember on regular runs from Snow Hill to Dudley in early 1950's
  20. G

Snow Hill Station

Back