• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

Greys Department Store

What lovely memories this brings back and it is so generous of people to upload photos.
  2. M

Villa Cross Cinema

No Lyn, we lived in Hockey on the Flat. I was too young to dance, or at least to have the confidence to do so!
  3. M

Hudson's book shops

Brilliant posts! In my family, Hudsons and Rackhams were THE quality shops in Birmingham and it was almost treated as a privilege to enter them. And, yes, my school prizes were derived from Hudsons, I got my Ian Allen train books from the New St shop and my Birmingham University textbooks from...
  4. M

Steam Sheds

I recall Sunday trips early 1960s to take in both Aston and Saltley sheds via the canal. Aston had the ‘important engines’ the namers were the favourites until they long stopped being cops and I especially recall the Brits. Saltley had the workhorses - Black 5s, 8Fs, various BR types etc. Two...
  5. M

Villa Cross Cinema

What lovely pics from Astoness. Happy memories for me. Every Christmas Eve I seem to remember we went to this glorious emporium to see Mr McGoo’s Christmas Carol - never got tired of it!
  6. M

Hockley GWR Station

How wonderful to see all these evocative shots of Hockley Station. I was born near there and well remember my Dad taking me up the dark stairway to the platforms to see the trains on Saturday (I suppose) afternoons in the early 60s. Kings and their named underlings, cute matchbox engines as I...
Back