• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. A

1889 Section 16 Beyond Control Gem Street Industrial School 1889

Hi i have a relative aged 12 who was arrested in Aston ion 27 Sep 1889, and he was sent to Gem Street Industrial School. Would anyone know what 'Section 16 Beyond Control' means please? Best wishes Alison
  2. A

How to clean upholstered chair studs

Hi Would anyone know how to clean these chair studs please? I am not even sure what they are made of. Also what would be the best way to clean the chair wood and spindles? Thanks ever so much. Best wishes Alison
  3. A

Wooden kitchen countertops

Hi I wonder if I could pick your brains please. My in-laws have died and I need to clean their wooden kitchen counters. I have never cleaned wooden kitchen surfaces before and therefore don't have any idea how to clean and oil them. They have sticky surfaces and have water stains in places and I...
  4. A

Any advice on how to fill this hole please?

Hi Would anyone have any advice on how to fill this hole please? There used to be a gas fire where the hole is. The gas has been professionally capped off. I thought I would fill the hole up slowly by building up layers of Polyfiller but I think the pipe will protrude from the wall. Best...
  5. A

Callow, James. Mother's maiden name?

Hi I cannot find a marriage for James Callow's parents William and Eliza. GRO index lists her maiden name as Peerss. Do you agree it is Peerss or could it be another name? Best wishes Alison
  6. A

Would anyone know the name of this street please and what occupation is a German Silver Polisher?

Hi Can anyone make out the name of this street please in 1847. Also what is a German Silver Polisher? Thanks for your help. Best wishes Alison
  7. A

Ann Wiggett (nee Shoebottom previously Currant)

Hi Would anyone know why a woman in 1855 in Birmingham may choose to be baptised aged 61? this would give Ann a birth date of 1793. On the 1851 census she is married to a Thomas Wiggett and listed as blind. She married Thomas in 1840. On the 1861 there is a pauper by the name of A Wiggett aged...
  8. A

Malakoff Place Wheeleys Lane

Hi Would anyone know what this address is please? I don't know the first bit but think it is Wheeleys Lane? Best wishes Alison
  9. A

17 Great Brook Street.

Hi Does anyone know if this Luck shop please?
  10. A

Wilkins/Palmer

Hi I am trying to find out about Albert Harry Wilkins marrying Lucy Palmer, and where Albert and his family (father's name George Wilkins) were on the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses. Best wishes Alison
  11. A

1921 Census... City Hospital Perry Barr (Erdington)

Hi I have a relative who in 1921 lived at Upper Ryland Road, Edgbaston but was actually in the above hospital. Any ideas why this hospital in Perry Barr when surely Dudley Road hospital would have perhaps been nearer? Best wishes Alison
  12. A

Family Myth

Hi There is a story that somewhere in the family on my dad's side through his aunts there is a connection to Vesta Tilley (Matilda Powles). I have made two separate trees one for the Matilda Alice Powles family and one for the Wilkins/Dunn family but not getting very far. Would anyone know of...
  13. A

(Nat) ??

Hi Does anyone know what (Nat) would mean in this context please. Best wishes Alison
  14. A

Feltmaker and Hatter

Would anyone know if this was the same occupation? I have a Thomas Dishley in the electoral registers as a feltmaker and on the census as a Hatter. Happy New Year and best wishes Alison ;)
  15. A

Writing up family history

Hi Would anyone have any tips please on how to go about writing up family history. I have collected quite a few records from Ancestry but have no idea how to present the information in a way that makes sense. Do I write a page on each person, each family etc. I have no idea where to start...
  16. A

Sawdust dealer

Hi Would anyone know about Sawdust dealers in Birmingham from 1920's to 1940's please. Best wishes Alison
  17. A

1915 Kelly´s Directory of Birmingham

Hi I am quite new to using Trade Directories and I'm probably being dim, but I'm not sure why Great Hampton Row would be listed as 151 Constitution Hill or Great King Street as 163 Hockley Hill? Best wishes Alison
  18. A

Dishley baptised twice

Hi How common would it be to be baptised twice. Once July 1872 second March 1873. The same child and parent names. Same Church. Same area (no specific address given) Same father's occupation. No death recorded for First child of that name.
  19. A

5 Hampton Terrace, Birmingham

Hi Would anyone know where this was in 1925 please? :)
  20. A

Back to Backs, Courts and Houses and Street Names

Hi I am trying to locate someone in the census, James Callow, by searching different addresses the person may be in. However I am a bit confused as to how the houses were numbered etc. For instance I am looking for 2 house 16 Great Hampton Street but sometimes the address has been written as...
Back