• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Hello TH1 Apologies for the belated response, I've not been an active BHF user for a while. I'm the Great Great Grandson of David Trevor, so we're related insofar as we have common ancestors in David Trevor and wife Phoebe (nee Mavity) the parents of both David and his brother William, and...
  2. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Hello @mem . It would appear that we are of the same generation in relation to David Trevor, thus making us step-cousins of sorts! Definitely David, Harry, and Sydney, apparently on David's 87th birthday or shortly thereafter. What I find interesting is that your family also has these 3 photos...
  3. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Many thanks for your herculean effort in all this @Susan D - I will certainly make use of it and have already referred our few remaining family members to this forum. It's also worth noting that the content of these pages will become visible to Google before too long, with obvious benefits to...
  4. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Brilliant work there @mikejee - many thanks for taking time on that. 28th August 1915, the date on the magazine, was also David Trevor's 87th birthday, so it's quite possible that the photo session was a celebratory occasion, hence the three generations picture taken at the same time (ie "C'mon...
  5. MSB

David Trevor - Help

It is definitely David Trevor. He's holding a copy of The Great War magazine. I have a copy of an almost identical shot taken at the same sitting, but being a photo of a photo the magazine title is indistinct. There is also a third photo from the sitting with David, son Harry and oldest grandson...
  6. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Thank you again. David's son Harry joined the RAOB around the outbreak of WW1, shortly before David passed away, so I was curious about whether or not fraternal lodges were a family tradition. It's a good job Jim Mace saw the funny side of the 1902 Punch and Judy show, given his distinguished...
  7. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Many thanks for the additional information - I shall take a closer look. Some notable absences from the list of present-buying guests at Edith's wedding. David's oldest child (from first marriage to Jane) Phoebe (aka Ellen) Oakes and husband Samuel, and his only son Harry Trevor (from second...
  8. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Absolutely thrilled, thank you - this forum has proven invaluable. Hopefully some of the information I've posted will help others too, at some future point.
  9. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Thank you again @Susan D - my Library findmypast account has a monthly limited use restriction which means I'll have to wait until April to follow the links. I'm relieved to report that the photo of David holding the Great War magazine wasn't post-mortem, although he was definitely getting on...
  10. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Thank you. I've just double checked, and I'm pretty certain it's the tree that has the photo error. If you follow David's daughter Phoebe Ellen on this tree you'll see a link to her husband Samuel Oakes. The photo shown for him is most definitely David Trevor in advanced age, as I have the same...
  11. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Here's the flyer I had in mind, although I'm not now sure if the pooches illustrated are actually Toby. As his home town is given as Ashby this flyer was printed some time between the early 1870s and the early 1900s. He was in his late 40s when he first settled in Ashby, and was still there in...
  12. MSB

David Trevor - Help

I definitely think he was a mould-breaker within his family, when you consider that virtually all of the other members were provisions retailers, bakers and wholesalers, which to be fair was a perfectly sensible choice in a rapidly growing industrial city. Whether David had a musical talent that...
  13. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Here's an 1857 theatre bill for David's performance in South Shields, scanned from the original in a collection that was passed down to me. I have bits and pieces of others, but this is one of the few complete examples. Interesting to note in the illustration that he appears to have an...
  14. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Probably touring with his magic/ventriloquism show, as his daughter Phoebe was left in Birmingham with family, but I have no way of confirming that short of delving into 1861 newspapers for clippings about performances in Wiltshire.
  15. MSB

David Trevor - Help

My Great Uncle Fred told my dad (in a phone call my dad recorded for family history purposes) that 'Granpapa' Trevor (David, the magician) had his own horse and cart for travelling around. However, that might have been just for local events in later life, as Fred was still quite young when David...
  16. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Thank you - I shall follow up Louisa. Here's a scan of an early publicity flyer that I have, printed for a trip to Norwich, that refers to him as being 'late of' the Polytechnic Institution, and claiming that he had learned his trade in Germany as well as in London (a possible industrial...
  17. MSB

David Trevor - Help

That's an interesting lead. Do you have a specific source for that? I have plenty of newscuttings in an album (and I've not read all of them yet), and there's loads more still to be studied online, but I've not seen her name mentioned before. In an ideal world I'll create a timeline of his...
  18. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Thank you @MWS. Following any Elizas born in Spalding c.1833 (1861 - 28 = 1833) was on my To Do list, so you may have saved me some time there! Eliza Love marrying (again?) in 1863 and settling in Wiltshire only 12 miles away in South Marston makes her strong candidate for being David's...
  19. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Susan D: Please feel free to contact me using the Conversation facility as outlined by @mikejee in post #25 above. Others have already done this, to mutual benefit. I have photos of David in later life, and line drawings from earlier promotional material, which can be scanned. I've been...
  20. MSB

David Trevor - Help

Hi Susan D, I'm afraid I have no information about where he was buried as I've not looked into it in detail. I can confirm that he spent part of his life in Ashby-de-la-Zouch, between the early 1870s and at least 1901 (ie Census), before returning to Birmingham in advanced old age, so Ashby...
Back