• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. C

US Base Pheasey Estate

Hi Gerry, quite - such a pity that there's very little evidence. Though on the corner of Doe Bank Lane and Queslett Road, there is (or recently was, within the farmland hedge) one of the brick built gate posts that held the barrier at the sentry post. You would enjoy the book I mentioned above...
  2. C

US Base Pheasey Estate

Hi Gerry, according to Fran & Martin Collins' book: "They also Serve Who Stand and Wait" (p154); on 9th June 1945 Pheasey Farm was closed as a sub-depot of the 10th Reinforcement Depot. On 10th June the remaining men of the 49th Reinforcement Battalion were alerted for departure. They left...
  3. C

Perry Hall Park

Nearby then! Happy days in the park?! Ice cream in the pavilion, boating lake of course and tadpole and sticklebacks in the stream! Always sunny it seemed! :cool: . Just reading an excellent book about the history of the park, "Perry Hall Yesterdays" by Gerald Stunt. Really interesting.
  4. C

Perry Hall Park

Hello there, so sorry I didn't reply I had totally missed your response! My Nan & Granddad moved to Derrydown road in 1936/7. Granddad died in 1955 and Nan in 1975. The names Nan used to mention as neighbours were (all known as "Mrs", as it was more formal then): Saywell, Craddock, Breeze...
  5. C

6888th Central Postal Directory Battalion (Six Triple Eight)

Hello Steve, Sorry - I don't have any information in this reply regarding your 6888 research, but as an aside you mention photos and footage of inside of the school? My own research is into Pheasey Farm itself on the school site. I don't do Facebook so I was wondering if you might be kind enough...
  6. C

Barr Beacon

Thank you Jean! Excellent picture. Which road on Pheasey was this taken in? Do you have any other photos of Pheasey around this time? Thanks again. Carolann.
  7. C

Barr Beacon

Nice to hear from you. I no longer live at Pheasey myself. Keep safe in these difficult times! :-/
  8. C

Barr Beacon

I don't know who he was, but the Bella Pais did have the feel of being abroad somewhere on a nice summer evening. I can remember in the 70's driving with my boyfriend (I was about 18) down the Chester Rd and stopping off at the Old Irish Harp. It was a proper farming pub and very quaint and old...
  9. C

Barr Beacon

Hi! I think you might mean the Bella Pais? Very posh to us in the 1970's but very good food! And it was quite posh and we went there for special occasions - as the alternative was a Berni Inn!! No, it's gone now sadly. A small complex of nice houses last time I passed there. I think it's called...
  10. C

Barr Beacon

Dear Jean, I can see your post is from many years ago now - but if you are still out there, would it be possible to re-post your pic of the Pheasey Old Folks club please? Would that have been the inside of the Old Barn, used as a community centre way back? Many thanks, Carolann
  11. C

US Base Pheasey Estate

Thank you Dave this is great. I always wondered (my fascination with the farm!) when Pheasey farmhouse itself was demolished. Do you or anyone else remember it? It's mentioned that the farmhouse and outbuildings were used by the army as offices etc. I do know that the old barn was used as a...
  12. C

US Base Pheasey Estate

...also Dave, I wonder what the brick built hut is opposite The Trees (Buffet Island!)? I was born and brought up round there and always thought it looked "military" in style and possibly built by the U.S Army as a store or billet of some sort. Almost next to the soldier in the photo at his post...
  13. C

US Base Pheasey Estate

Thanks so much Dave v interesting! I wonder why a house would have been demolished to access the land, seems an expensive thing to do to lose 2 houses.
  14. C

US Base Pheasey Estate

Thank you so much Dave. Really interesting. I had forgotten these prefab classrooms - it's all valuable history of the area.
  15. C

US Base Pheasey Estate

Hi Dave, did you ever post the slide of your old classroom you mentioned on the playground at Pheasey County Sec school on Collingwood Drive? I'm not that great at this but haven't been able to find it. Many thanks.
  16. C

Doctors

Does anyone remember Dr Brieger in the 60's? He was German or similar and had a kindly, crooked smile and was very kind towards a little one such as me who was fairly terrified! He used to have an octagonal tin on his desk containing Smarties - very impressive to me in those days! He would offer...
  17. C

Community Hall Pheasey Estate

Viv Thank you very much for your help on this. Information much appreciated. Regards Carolann
  18. C

Vivienne, as I can see you are Supermoderator and not knowing who to contact to ask this or how - being new to the forum (and on a different subject) I am helping a local charity to compile a history display - how can I access or ask for permission to use a few photographs on the BHF, if I come...
  19. C

Then & Now

Hi there, at the Birmingham Local History Fair at the the MAC on Saturday BARRA (Bham Air Raids Remembrance Association) were a mine of information and very helpful to me, pinpointing on their online records my relative's bombing 19/11/40 where she was seriously injured in Belgrave Rd. I am sure...
  20. C

Aren't these brilliant!! And very little changed. Thankyou.
Back