• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Rob Derry

Johnson Street Nechells

an interesting historical document probably relating to 15 Johnson Street, Nechells
  2. Rob Derry

Bhf 15th Birthday Meet Up

Put me down for two maybe three
  3. Rob Derry

Prize Gun Works

Never mind my ancestors that sounds like my kind of street :)
  4. Rob Derry

Prize Gun Works

Thats great and yes I realise its a long shot its just that they lived on Bath Street and so its nearby. When is the next meet? I'd love to try and make it.
  5. Rob Derry

Prize Gun Works

In looking at the OS maps from the late 1800s and the area around St Mary's Church where my ancestor David Mountford lived (Bath Street) I noticed the Prize Gun Works on the Loveday Street side. My ancestors were Gun Percussioners (both David and his son William Page) and so I am tempted to...
  6. Rob Derry

Frightful Occurrence At New Street Station

my 3 x great grandfather Patrick Fenton (born 1816 in Ireland) died in an accident on NSS on 13th September 1868 - here is an extract from a newspaper article at the time ... "On sunday afternoon, Patrick Fenton (52) painter St George's Street, met with his death in a shocking manner at the...
  7. Rob Derry

Boer War Sword

Bingo ... looks like a private 4586 R Jones was in the 19th Hussars! The net is closing in on great uncle Bob !
  8. Rob Derry

Green Grocers On Great Hampton Row Hockley

That proves it then thx
  9. Rob Derry

Boer War Sword

Here's the picture for anyone who is interested in such things :)
  10. Rob Derry

Which matches the picture and agreed the likelihood is that 52 was further down in the picture towards St. George's place
  11. Rob Derry

I don't suppose it gives s name for the green grocers does it? It's strange as my aunt is definitely registered at 52 GHR but this is the shop my aunt remembers i.e. Next to the butchers
  12. Rob Derry

Key Hill Cemetery

Is there are register of who is buried here? My ancestors were non conformists although I do know that some are buried in Witton.
  13. Rob Derry

My aunt isn't sure - she says it was next to Capewells butchers and a paper shop. Possibly this picture is later (maybe the 60s) but it would be interesting if Capewells could be located to be sure.
  14. Rob Derry

Farm Street Hockley

Horses were in a livery stables at the end of Farm Street I think ... my grandad remembered a fire there in the 20s when he had to get the horses out. We think he was reliving it when he died because he was very distressed and shouting fire.
  15. Rob Derry

milk shop

my ancestors the Jones family (Cain and Abel to be precise) had a dairy business and their mother and then Abel's mother in law (Harriet Feakes) ran the shop - supported by census records from 1901 and 1911 - they lived at 106 Farm Street. My grandad Jack delivered milk on the horse and cart...
  16. Rob Derry

Old street pics..

Here is one of the Jones children at the back of Unett Street in the 1940s
  17. Rob Derry

my great aunt rose was a full time greengrocer part time soprano (see attached from xmas eve 1929)
  18. Rob Derry

thats what I thought - my Aunty Mavis who is now in her eighties is going to have a look later and that should confirm it :)
  19. Rob Derry

Farm Street Hockley

Where would 106 Farm Street have been? Thats where my 2 x great grandad Frank Jones lived and from where his sons Cain and Abel (really) Jones ran their dairy business from eventually selling out to Cattell Bros (not sure when).
  20. Rob Derry

Great Hampton Row

This site is s goldmine and you have all been brilliantly helpful. My uncles funeral is on Saturday and I know that his brothers and sisters will be delighted to see all these pics thank you all very much xxx
Back