• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. D

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

My father used to make wooden toys at Christmas for me and neighbours children during the war. Wheel barrows mostly for the boys and scooters for girls. I had a red one with white splashes. I lived in a Road with a hill and the pavements were blue brick so the lovely clatter of the wooden wheels...
  2. D

abbey street...hockley

If I remember right. It was mostly brassware and guards for cannon cookeres and fires.
  3. D

I Remember When.....

I totally agree with you Stitcher. They should learn our language language not us theirs ! So much is spent on interpitors for people that have been here for years. When in Rome do as the Romans do. He who pays the piper calls the tune.
  4. D

I Remember When.....

5. D

abbey street...hockley

My husband and his family had a small factory in Abbey St in the 60s called Berwood Engineering. The family name was Newton
  6. D

Gorman. J.

Sorry they are not. My father who passed away in 1977 worked for Midland Counties Dairies in his young days and served on the Somme . His father was a gun stock maker. That's all I really know. He never discussed his family much and certaiy I know nothing of his war experiences. When I was young...
  7. D

Gorman. J.

Thank you Alberta for that info. I know very little of my fathers family. I know originally they came over from Ireland. I would love to know when and what part.
  8. D

Ansell

Thanks for the info. I will explore this site. Gets interesting doesn't it.
  9. D

Ansell

Hello. My mothers name was Doris her father was Sidney James Ansell Her mother was Gertrude Stanley. I have come full circle because I live in Sutton.
  10. D

Barrows Stores

I remember Mc Convilles in Bull Street . I used to catch the bus there when I became working age 15. Henry store was at the bottom. Also Jerome the photography studio at the top where I was taken every year for a studio photo when I was little. Hated it !
  11. D

Old Sutton Parade Shops

I remember Gills the toy shop we used to take our 2 little boys there in the early 60s. When toys were only bought on Birthdays and Christmas. When I met my husband in the 50s who lived in Sutton we used to go to the Snackerie on Sunday afternoons as there was no where else to go . Downstairs in...
  12. D

Alum Rock Road Shops

I too remember Alum Rock shopping area. I lived in Phillimore Road. I am talking of the 40s and early 50s. I remember Ted Haynes the green grocer. May Mitchel the wool shop and clothes. There was a fish and chip shop opposite Ted Haynes. The Rock Cinema where I used to go every Saturday. Bata...
  13. D

Gorman. J.

Does anyone have any info.
  14. D

Ansell

I too believe my family on my mothers side were related to the Ansell family. My grandfather was Sidney James Ansell known as Jim. They lived in Duddeston . He also had a brother Clarence. The later Ansell family lived in Wylde Green Sutton Coldfield, then at the turn of the 20 th Century Moor...
  15. D

Nansen Road School

Yes Viv us oldies of the school certainly knew this. We had many talks about him.
  16. D

Nansen Road School

Thank you MWS for posting those photos. As I was there in the 50s it was well before your time. We occupied the top floor of the main building. I think it was younger children on the ground floor. It was senior girls only and our play ground was to the back of the building. The only single story...
  17. D

Nansen Road School

Thank you Vivienne 14. Why it wasn't in the list of schools . I don't know ! Had a very happy time there. The Head mistress was Miss Evans Rose a bit like the queen mother in appearance and Miss Linforth was a great teacher.
  18. D

Nansen Road School

I cannot find Nansen Road Secondary Modern School. I was there from 1950 to 1955. Can anyone help ?
  19. D

Ward End Park

Sadly my husband died last year. He would have loved to have seen your photos. Master Brummie. They are wonderful.
  20. D

Ward End Park

I too have spent many happy hours with friends when I was a little girl in Ward End park. I used to walk from Phillimore Road sometimes getting a bottle of Ice Cream Soda or Dandelion and Burdock pop which we used to share. I went to Leigh Road Infants and Juniof school and later Nansen Road...
Back