• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. enzothebaker

Handsworth Grammar School 1950--1960

Missing teacher was Ted Kearsley who 'taught' crafts and woodwork. Seem to remember his classes were a bit of a free-for-all and 'throw things about' time....
  2. enzothebaker

Handsworth Grammar School 1950--1960

Interesting you mention Miss Keeling - the '60's was still a time when 'jobs for life' still operated. A school photo of the staff for 1923/4 shows both Miss Keeling and Mr. Hutchinson (Pot?), and they were plodding on until 1962 for Miss Keeling and Hutch was there when I left in '63! The...
  3. enzothebaker

Handsworth Kindergarten and Preparatory School

Hi Jayell, Handsworth Kindergarten and Preparatory School - what a mouthfull it seems now! The photograph was taken on the lower lawn in 1955 I think, and I have circled self and Carol who later was to become my better half (still is - I know my place!). Teachers :- Anti-clockwise (left) - Miss...
  4. enzothebaker

Stuffed Whale.

I remember seeing ‘Jonah’ the giant whale on open display on a trailer at Perry Barr. It would have been about 1952/3 I think, and memory has it placed on open ground just about where the current shopping centre is – though it could have been at the dog/speedway track. After a bit of research I...
  5. enzothebaker

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

I'm pretty sure the DT car is a Triumph Gloria from about 1935. The old Ford windscreen wipers were dreadful things operated by vacuum pump - the faster you went, the slower went the wipers except that a hefty 'thump' on the internal motor wold produce an extra wipe.
  6. enzothebaker

Easter Meet Up 2017

Hi Lyn, Hope to join you all on 15th
  7. enzothebaker

Soho Hill

Hi Mr. Pastry, My better half worked as a young Dental Nurse at Cheffins for a while & thinks your cousin's name was Barbara(?). She worked with Mr. Preece who was employed there as a junior Dentist. We both went to HKPS school round the corner in Park Avenue and were members of the 'Busy Bees'...
  8. enzothebaker

Advertising in the past

My parents bought one of these in '35/36 - the builder said 'why don't you buy the one next door and rent it out? It will be a good investment' - 'No thanks, we can't afford it' was their reply . . . . . . . . . AAAAGH
  9. enzothebaker

Birmingham Railway Carriage Co

Hi Oldbrit, I don't know whether there is any connection but I had an elderly great aunt who lived down Wattville Road in the 1950's. She too was a deaf mute from birth and was friendly with a local man (also a deaf mute) who used to visit - I did meet him once and his name was Saunders - could...
  10. enzothebaker

Henrietta Street Ambulance Station

Hi Astonian, Came across your post while browsing - the garage you mention was in Summer Lane and run by 'Joe' Jameson and family. In the 1960's/70's they ran the largest fleet of black-cabs in Birmingham. Made a fortune and drove Rolls Royce!
  11. enzothebaker

Where did you live

Just finding my way around this great site - thanks to everyone for posting the photos. Was born at Chantry Crescent on Pheasey Estate and moved to Grestone Avenue, Handsworth Wood for the 50's & 60's - so had pals in Greenridge, Acfold and Camplin Cres. - (also to Stash - knew guys who lived...
  12. enzothebaker

Aston University

It's all very confusing - this part of the building at Gosta Green was the Birmingham College of Commerce and Technology (or Technology and Commerce depending on which course you took!) and co-existed with the University of Aston next door. It became part of the University of Central England...
  13. enzothebaker

Jubbly - Frozen Drink

Ray, your are so right about them becoming less flavoursome as time went on - particularly if you drank the melted orange juice! We used to go trainspotting (in the old fashioned sense!) on Snow Hill Station - two or three of us travelling on our own despite ages of 8-10, and for the entire...
  14. enzothebaker

Hi Walsallie, I remember Miss Lewton - with the wobbly head - and can see Mrs. Bunn now - sitting by the big classroom window which overlooked the top playground during breaktime. She always seemed to be wearing grey pleated skirts and a red cravat and - as you say - smoking like a chimney -...
  15. enzothebaker

Paternoster Lifts

I remember the patternoster lifts too from the early 1960's - College of Commerce - not sure that I'd be quick enough or agile enough now!
  16. enzothebaker

US Base Pheasey Estate

I know this is an old thread but absolutely fascinating to read all the posts about the Pheasey Estate - I never knew anything about the GI's base even though I was born in Chantry Crescent in December '45. My earliest memory is of being wheeled in a push-chair past The Deer's Leap pub in the...
  17. enzothebaker

The school in Park Avenue - often referred to by we pupils as 'Handsworth Kippers and Parsley Sauce' was a wonderful experience for young children in the early 1950's. I remember (just) Miss Treglown and Mrs. Bunn as well as the other teachers. The earthy playground at the rear sloped towards...
  18. enzothebaker

Handsworth

Hi Shortie, I can see that this was posted a while ago but it was interesting to get a build date for Philip Victor Road - the houses are older than I thought. My understanding is that one was built for my wife's Grandfather Leo White who was one of the original Directors of The Valor Company...
  19. enzothebaker

Handsworth Grammar King Edward Boys' Grammar Grove Lane

Hi Viv, No this is still HGS - there is a King Edward's Girls School nearby in Rosehill Road. I was at the school during the late 50's/early 60's when the Reverend J J Walton (Holy Joe) ruled the roost with a very stern hand.
  20. enzothebaker

Confectioner's Shop in Wattville road Handsworth

Hi Gwynfor, Just joined! - if you are still looking - I remember the Wattville Road shop well through the 1950's and were always popping in for multi-coloured Kali scooped from a glass jar, gob-stoppers, love hearts, penny and twopenny bars of chocolate or Fry's 5 Boys, humbugs, lubbely...
Back