• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. A

Canning & Co & Electroplating

A good friend of mine Steve Young worked in the garage working on the lorries, mid 60's. Commer 2 strokes if I remember.
  2. A

The Norton Inn Erdington

That is correct, who was your father, Raymond or David?
  3. A

College Arms College Road Kingstanding

I only knew Steve from school(Warren Farm) and occasionally in the College. I believe he has passed away now.
  4. A

The Norton Inn Erdington

Welcome, we are family.
  5. A

Parisian Club Cannon Street

Was it Needless Alley where the German Beer Cellar was. That was down stairs, Good beer aswell.
  6. A

Mother's Club Carlton Club Ballroom Erdington

Yes it was indeed rough. We drank similar in Torquay on our many weekend visits. Very strong stuff, you could not drink too much of it, fire water. Do you remember the Aussie White wine from Yates Wine Lodge in Corporation street. That was a good primer before going to Rebecas.
  7. A

Ha Ha. Good on you for doing that. Do'nt think it would have worked with some of us, we had a job to stand up straight. The bouncers would not let you in if you were bladdered, and we were as a rule. Someone mentioned the cider, I had forgotten about that. Stella of it's day.
  8. A

Cert were long queues down the side ally. If you did'nt get there early enough you could not get in, full up. You needed ear defenders when you walked through he doors at the top of the stairs. Great days.
  9. A

Monument Lane Station/Shed

Great story, it must have been such a busy depot in the early 1900,s. Always had more atmosphere than Aston, Saltley or Tyesley.
  10. A

Yes you are correct with the 3E code, the depot was recoded 21E on 20/6/60. A further recode took place in september 1963 when it became 2H. Closure was in march 1967 and was demolished during 1968. I have an excellent book about the depot by Tony Higgs, well worth a read if you can find a copy.
  11. A

I was a regular visitor to 21E Monument Lane in the early sixties, when the the 2P,s were stored there. On the opposite side of the main line was the DMU/ carriage shed. You could hear trains coming up the tunnel from New Street, they made a deep booming sound then burst out into daylight...
  12. A

Old street pics..

Was the fare 4 shillings, that would be in the 60,s. 5a Corporation Street to Perry Common Ring? We used to board at Rackhams, opposite Lewis,s store. Gave that up, You could wait 50 mins for the next bus and it would turn up full, another hours wait for the next one. Deep joy.
  13. A

Old street pics..

Always was a long wait, gave up sometimes and walked home.
  14. A

birmingham 1969-73

The picture of the café on Church Lane looks like the place I used to work in the 60,s. then the tower block was not there, all the old houses were still intact. The company I worked for was Lambert & Flowers, pipe fitters and heating. The building was the office where we received our job...
  15. A

Old street pics..

" I wonder if the last night service has gone". O shoot!!!
  16. A

Horses on the canals

We used to ride on top of the coal in the barges, the bargy would let jump on down past witton towards aston. This was in the late fifties and there were still some horses about, always well kept I remember. We would pat them when they rested at the locks, also the bargy gave us his handle and...
  17. A

Science Museum Newhall Street

If my memory serves me, the Japanese crab was in a glass case on the wall, above a door I think. It was 60 years ago when I last visited, it all looks so modern inside now. We have to be thankfull that such a wonderfull building still survives.
  18. A

Birmingham museum and art gallery.

Spent hours in the late 50,s early 60,s exploring the art gallery and museum. Things that stand out were the sphinx as you went in then the fantastic tiger in the glass case and the massive Japanese crab. The whole building had it,s own smell, never noticed it in other museums! After the art...
  19. A

Alex's Pie Stands

The pies at Villa Park were the worst, you were still tasteing them three days later. Our local chippy sold Fleur de Lys pies, as you say better than the Pukka rubbish.
Back