• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. jmadone

WW 1 MEDALS

Whilst looking at an auction catalogue today I came across the following described by the auctioneers as such:- A little more investigation brought up the following:- For a full description see De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour on Ancestry. I always feel a little sad when I see military or...
  2. jmadone

Was he a Deserter?

Does any member have access to Fold 3 on Ancestry? If so I wonder if they could look up and see what happened to an ancestor of mine. According to Ancestry, William Groves, regimental number 5241748, was posted as a deserter from the Worcester Regiment on 21st May 1921. The place of desertion is...
  3. jmadone

Alfred J Wilson, Royal Irish Rifles.

I am trying to find the place and date of this distant ancestor's death. A recent "hint" thrown up by Ancestry is the following. The 1911 census lists his wife Elizabeth Lucy Wilson as a widow living with her father and 3 daughters. The youngest girl is only 1 year old and so I'm presuming...
  4. jmadone

OS maps showing house numbers

Are there any old OS maps of Birmingham showing house numbers? I have visited the Library of Scotland site which has been a great help in locating streets but I am unable to find any showing house numbers on streets. Mikejee has very kindly supplied maps for myself and other members but these...
  5. jmadone

Chatfield Bigamous Marriage?

I have a family tree member named Emily Chatfield Bn. 7/7/1863 in Manchester. Died 1936 Birmingham. On May 10th 1887 she married a man named Show Levein at Bishop Ryder. She is described as a spinster, he as a bachelor. The following year 1888 they had a son named Joseph Show Levein. After this...
  6. jmadone

The Green Lanes, Aston

I am looking for a map showing the location of The Green Lanes which is shown on my G-G-Grandfathers burial entry. Is it in Aston or is it what is now Green Lane Small Heath? I have done a forum search but to no avail. If someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim
  7. jmadone

Cunningham family

I'm having trouble with reading the 1851 entry for my ancestors David Cunningham, his wife and sister in law. I can't decipher the street name on the entry. Could it be Smith Street? Can anyone help please?
  8. jmadone

G.H.Forman, Boot and Shoe dealer

Doing some Family Tree research I came across the following They are drawings said to be done by Harold, the son of the George Henry Forman, the Boot and Shoe dealer. Looking at the headed notepaper it's obviously from the 1910s (as per date line). Interesting to note that the address line...
  9. jmadone

Lucky 13 (LCG 13) The part they played at on D Day and in the Normandy landings

Last year I requested and received a copy of my Dad's service record during WW2. I knew he was in the Royal Marines and served aboard LCGs, Landing Craft Guns and I also knew he was involved in the Sicily and Italy landings (Operation Husky) and later on went out to the far east in Ceylon, India...
  10. jmadone

Breaking a curtilage and larceny meaning

I came across this entry in the criminal registers for Warwickshire 1852 Does anyone know to what a cartilage refers in this description of an offence?
  11. jmadone

Codes on 1939 Register

Can someone help me with the attached 1939 register entry please. I am trying to find out what the green ink amendments mean. I know that the one on the right is "known as" but does anyone know what the alpha/numerical reference is. Thank you in advance Jim
  12. jmadone

White Swan, Holloway Head

Does anyone have any knowledge of the pub or it's location. This was taken from the 1881 census and shows an entry for one of my ancestors on my mother's side,
  13. jmadone

Symbol on Ordnance Survey Maps

As part of his lockdown homework my grandson has been given a list of symbols found on an ordnance survey map to identify. All satisfactory except for one which is X (a red coloured X) Despite looking at my OS maps and a search on Google I can't find this. Is there a knowledgeable forum...
  14. jmadone

Fold 3 on Ancestry

Just read that Fold 3 on Ancestry (Military Records) have FREE access until 25th of May. Jim
  15. jmadone

Photo restoration

I wonder if one of the wonderful picture restorers on the forum could please tidy up this photograph of my brother and sisters. Thanking you in advance. Jim
  16. jmadone

Certificate of service

Reading Lady P's post regarding her late father's Arctic convoy duties she mentions she has her dad's Certificate of service in the Royal Navy, and it lists the establishments and ships he served on. This inspired me to dig out my own dad's Certificate of service in the Royal Marines to see...
  17. jmadone

Birmingham man in Chinese police

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7713957/Birmingham-post-boy-one-Chinas-detectives-fight-against-opium-gangs-Shanghai.htm I've just read this article in today's Daily Mail. It's more of an advertisement for an upcoming auction but the story behind it is quite interesting. Perhaps other...
  18. jmadone

Yew Tree Pub, Yardley

Having a discussion with my wife this afternoon about Saturday jobs (perhaps this could go on that thread) and the Yew Tree cropped up. I searched the forum for photos and/or maps and found nothing about the pub. Does anyone have any pictures and is the pub still open or is it one of our many...
  19. jmadone

Fifield Farm Bickenhill

Interesting to see the advertisement for the sale of various farms etc. I would love to know the date of this advert as one of the farms listed, Fifield Farm belonged to my brother in law's family and he lived there as a boy before the 2nd WW. When I met my wife she was living in the farmhouse...
Back