• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. jmadone

Black Country Museum

How much trade will they take from "the Bottle and Glass" I wonder. Last time I visited I had a superb pint of Banks bitter and a delicious cheese and onion cob.
  2. jmadone

Chadwick end

I had a second job working for a private hire firm in Knowle in the late 70s and I can remember several times collecting a nun from the Poor Clares and driving her to Solihull railway station.
  3. jmadone

Digbeth Civic Hall

Can't recall this group but any group with a saxophonist or any brass blower would have created a great live sound in those days. Were they a Birmingham group?
  4. jmadone

Birmingham Police uniform

Glad you said "at the rear entrance to Rackhams" and not "the back of Rackhams" which had an entirely different meaning :laughing: :laughing:
  5. jmadone

Ice lollies without a stick

Strangely enough it wasn't. This happened one afternoon coming home from school in the sweet shop on Vicarage Rd., Kings Heath. Can't remember it's name now but was in the row of shops just down from Cartland Rd and was opposite the Sunshine Cafe where they sold massive slabs of bread pudding...
  6. jmadone

Ice lollies without a stick

There was also a similar one called Calypso. The lettering on the packaging was quite florid and when we first saw it we had no idea what the name of the drink was. One of our number decided to buy one and went into the shop and asked for a "Gallypig" which as 12 yr old schoolboys we had decided...
  7. jmadone

Then & Now

Having looked again is it one of those green control/junction (?) boxes that the GPO had on various street corners. I agree that the two guys are fly sticking posters to it.
  8. jmadone

Then & Now

You may very well be right, unfortunately my eyes aren't good enough to see the newspaper that the guy on the right is holding. (I feel a trip to specsavers may be on the cards :mad: )
  9. jmadone

Then & Now

What are the two guys outside the bank up to? What does the cabinet standing there hold ? Is it an early coffee machine?
  10. jmadone

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Me too
  11. jmadone

Our childhood toys

Re the Magnetic football game took me ages to realise you could tip your opponents players over by using your magnet on them (Opposites attract and Like repels). My younger brother couldn't understand why his players were always falling over!!!!
  12. jmadone

Elmdon Airport

For a very funny account of life as an air traffic controller in this control room listen to this on you tube. Sorry the link isn't working but search for David Gunson, what goes up might come down.
  13. jmadone

Kingsway Picture House Kings Heath

What fantastic news. I wish the developers all success in their endeavour. Just read this post from Mikejee Post #18 on Curzon Street Hotel thread. Hope this is not the case here.
  14. jmadone

In the garden 2022

I'm sure I've seen one of those before. It was in a film called Day of the Triffids :eek: :eek: :eek:
  15. jmadone

Birmingham Anglers' Association

Fished the Mease at Harlaston and Netherseal in the 60s with my dad several times. Always good chub catches. Happy memories.
  16. jmadone

In the garden 2022

The fledglings are now coming to the feeders without parent birds. In order. Chaffinch, Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Nuthatch, Bluetit and Longtailed tits. We've also had Great tits. Coal Tits, a young Robin on and there's also been a Jay trying to get at the fat balls but I haven't...
  17. jmadone

In the garden 2022

The only thing we get from Northumbrian water is a demand for more money :mad: :mad:
  18. jmadone

Sheldon

What sad pictures. Memories of childhood, teenage years and courting days all flooding back. Brought a lump to my throat. Thanks for posting.
  19. jmadone

Crossroads programme

No part for an actor to play the part of John Bentley who was Meg's husband. John was a fine actor born in Sparkhill in 1916 and educated at King Edwards Camp Hill.
  20. jmadone

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2022

British auction houses are absolute rip off merchants in their P & P charges. Sometimes these charges can nearly equal the hammer price thereby doubling the costs of the item bought.
Back