• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gravelly Hill

Does anyone have an early map showing Gravelly Hill Station please? We're doing a project at the moment based on the book 'Steaming up to Sutton' by Roger Lea. Thanks.

A good selection of Gravelly Hill can be seen to Warwickshire Railways web site. The above photo shows some interesting features namely a First Class position for passengers, tall signals for oversight above bridges and lower signals with white painted sighting board. There are the usual instructions for crossing over the bridge and way out signs.

Definitely sheep John! My dad would have been 5 in 1918 and lived at Salford Bridge - wonder if he ever saw sheep being hereded down the road.
It really is amazing to see the difference that 50 years has made to Gravelly Hill. You certainly wouldn't have been able to see sheep in the middle of that road in 1968. I remember my Dad told me about following horses and carts around with a bucket, when he was a young lad in the early 30s, to supplement his pocket money. The things that we could ask our family about now. I told my son about walking under Spaghetti Junction, whilst it was being built on my way to Villa Park and I'm sure that's his "sheep" equivalent. :)

Back