• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2023, 2024

Just had the ' Hi dad' text from a number I don't recognise, quickly followed by the ' I've lost my phone so using someone else's phone to text you, can you help? '

Blocked!!!
Yes, I have had the same thing in the past too. Unfortunately, a BBC presenter's late mother was subject to the same text scam and unlike us, fell victim to these heartless crooks. It was on BBC Midlands News last night, link below:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-68684193

• Appreciate
Reactions: RRJ
just had a email off BT
Hello,
Your Call Protect service for Digital Voice now uses AI technology to detect and block scam calls at no extra cost.

This means if you have a handset with a digital screen, it will display suspected nuisance calls. It may also show you the name of the business that's calling, including BT and EE.

just had a email off BT
Hello,
Your Call Protect service for Digital Voice now uses AI technology to detect and block scam calls at no extra cost.

This means if you have a handset with a digital screen, it will display suspected nuisance calls. It may also show you the name of the business that's calling, including BT and EE.
We have the same, shows the number and says “scam likely” but the call still rings through!

the police called today about the empty box the ebay seller sent me they are looking into it.:grinning:
they took a statement off me about the seller they take fraud cases very seriously.

the police called today about the empty box the ebay seller sent me they are looking into it.:grinning:
they took a statement off me about the seller they take fraud cases very seriously.
eBay are quite good like that.

I bought a new Windows Ultimate disk on Ebay that turned out to be fake, Microsoft replaced it with a genuine one for free in exchange for the sellers details.
I have a good friend that uses eBay, what it have found is that I get the same prices and products (for the most part) on Amazon. I know there are substitutes on Amazon but recourse is quick and easy.
BTB that is pretty straight up from Microsoft!

i had a email saying £1600 had been taken from my account from PAYPAY with thanks.to check details of the order please click the link.
i just deleted it. and did check my bank account nothing had been taken from it for that amount. i have a blocker on my bank account if some one trys to withdraw Dosh over £10 the bank phones me.

Got this by email yesterday, looks like a new version of the Nigerian general looking to move money scam.
Dear Friend,

I hope this letter finds you well, surrounded by the warmth of loved ones and the promise of a new day. My name is Jeff Rothschild, and I am writing to you today with a heart full of excitement and a vision for a different kind of philanthropy.

Below is a profile of me:
www.forbes.com/profile/jeff-rothschild/?sh=457d14d2c87a

For many years, I have dedicated myself to supporting various charities and causes that are dear to my heart. While I am proud of the impact we have made together, I have come to realize that there is more to giving than simply writing a check.

Recently, I had a dream—a vivid, inspiring dream that left me with a sense of clarity and purpose. In that dream, I saw the faces of ordinary people like you and me, each with their own hopes, dreams, and struggles. And in that moment, I knew that I needed to be more personal with my giving, to touch lives in a way that has never been done before.

That is why I am reaching out to you today, not as a distant benefactor, but as a fellow traveler on this journey we call life. I want to invite you to be a part of something truly special, something that goes beyond traditional philanthropy and connects us on a deeper, more personal level.

Consider this letter your golden ticket to a brighter future. You've been selected as the recipient of a generous donation from me., This is my appreciation for your presence in this world. But this gift is more than just a material offering; it is an invitation to join me in a shared mission of compassion, empathy, and human connection.

Together, we can make a difference in the lives of ordinary people in ways that are both meaningful and profound. Whether it's lending a listening ear to a friend in need, offering a helping hand to a neighbor facing adversity, or simply sharing a smile with a stranger, every act of kindness has the power to create ripple effects of love and positivity.

So please, accept this gift with an open heart and know that it comes with no expectations or obligations. Consider it a gesture of friendship, a symbol of our shared humanity, and a catalyst for the extraordinary things we can achieve when we come together with purpose and passion.

Kindly provide your full name and address, and I will guide you on how to receive this donation..

Thank you for being a part of this journey with me. May our shared vision of a kinder, more compassionate world inspire us to take bold action and spread love wherever we go.

With warmest regards,

Jeff Rothschild

i had a email saying £1600 had been taken from my account from PAYPAY with thanks.to check details of the order please click the link.
i just deleted it. and did check my bank account nothing had been taken from it for that amount. i have a blocker on my bank account if some one trys to withdraw Dosh over £10 the bank phones me.
That’s a good idea to have the blocker on your account. We use two credit cards (mostly one), they do two things that I really like, every charge against the account we get an email. I mean as soon as it is charged before you leave the store. The other is we go to a store or gas station that looks a little shady the ban’ blocks the charge instantly until I clear on our phone via a text from them.

Back