• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Defford road..

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
defford road..down as newtown..it was just off guthrie st nr burbery st park..looks like the chimney from the lucas factory in this first pic..hope these are the ones you want keith..

img498.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You are a forum treasure Lyn - my house is shown on #4. These with the photographs of Burbery street bring back so many memories. Thank you so, so much............ Mabz

We lived in the house attached to the shop till 1957, I vaguely remember Mrs Maguire coming to look around our house. Her property I think was being demolished so the council sent her look at our house, we moved to Kings Norton. My mother kept the house spotless inside and out.

I live in Burbury St. I had a friend that live on the left in Defford Rd, her name was Margaret Satchwell. did you know them ?

Jean.

Hello Jean,
I vaguely remember the name, we lived there for about 3 years till I was seven and a half so I was a bit too young to remember all of the neighbours. I do remember Harry Forrester who owned the fruit and veg shop on the opposite corner and Price's who owned the shop on the corner of Angelsey St and Guthrie St (if that's correct?) It seems a lifetime away Jean?

Best wishes Margaret

img496.jpg
My sister said that was me on the pavement outside our house no 29 with the Maguires to to the left paddy and philomena used to hang around with us gleesons,davis mckennas

Hello Jean,
I vaguely remember the name, we lived there for about 3 years till I was seven and a half so I was a bit too young to remember all of the neighbours. I do remember Harry Forrester who owned the fruit and veg shop on the opposite corner and Price's who owned the shop on the corner of Angelsey St and Guthrie St (if that's correct?) It seems a lifetime away Jean?

Best wishes Margaret
My Granddad was Harry Forrester. I was trying to track down the address of his greengrocers in Defford Road? Any ideas anyone? Yvonne

My Granddad was Harry Forrester. I was trying to track down the address of his greengrocers in Defford Road? Any ideas anyone? Yvonne

There's a Henry and Lilian Forrester listed at no. 48 Defford Road. In 1939 Henry is listed as a fruiterer.

Hi - the greengrocers was on the corner of Defford Road and Guthrie Street. I remember it well. Refer to photograph #5.

Back