• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

PTE. John GIBBONS, 11845, 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.

MILLS

master brummie
Help please,

John was a Birmingham man born on 6 July, 1891.

What I know is in 1911 Census he is shown 1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, at Carisbrooke, Hampshire, Isle of Wight.

On his MIC he is in 2nd Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment, going to France on 12 August, 1914, wounded October/November, 1914 and discharged with a SWB on 17 July, 1915. He enlisted on 12 July, 1909. His Pension cards indicate he was born in 1891, GSW rt. leg, married and address 4 Court 1 House, Coventry Street, B'ham. From this information I have tracked him forward on electoral rolls, 1920, 1921, 1935 and 1939 Census where I got his birthdate and wife's name, Anne. He married Anne in 1913, Annie MOORE in B'ham.

That's it. What I am trying to do is fill in 1891, 1901 Census information and his death information, and anything else.

Thank you for any help.

I know you have him on the 1939 register - address 41 Warstock Road. 3 daughters and 1 son visible plus 2 blanked out names
1709210984081.png
1709211090281.png

Last edited:
There are about 20 family trees on Ancestry with John Gibbons marrying Annie Moore, unfortunately half have his father as Thomas and the other Harry also different mothers name.
Your best bet is to get the fathers name from the marriage certificate and go from there.

There are several trees on Ancestry which suggest he died in 1947. As Alberta says the trees vary in parents names, children's names and so I wonder about their accuracy.
1709212251486.png

Interestingly the one daughter Norah (with her husband) is still listed at 41 Warstock Road on the last online eroll in 1965.

Circumstantial but his eldest daughter was Catherine and there is a John Gibbons reg Sep 1891 Bham, son of Thomas and Catherine (Gregg).

On the 1921 census Catherine is also living on Coventry St with her daughter and her family.

He won't be on the 1891 census because he was after the census date. In 1901 this John Gibbons is living on Oxford St with parents and sister, though father is listed as James instead of Thomas for some reason.

He won't be on the 1891 census because he was after the census date. In 1901 this John Gibbons is living on Oxford St with parents and sister, though father is listed as James instead of Thomas for some reason.
On Ancestry the listing is for Thomas but I can see why it might be read as James

1709227189465.png

Thanks
It should be Thomas, I think, but MWS suggested it had been transcribed as James. can see how the change might happen as the writing is not clear.

Janice/MWS,

Thank you as always you find the missing link.

I didn't find your 1901 Census, I did find the other one shown which I rejected. The 1947 death looks likely.

I have emailed one of the Family trees which have 2 pictures of a soldier from WW1 hoping they can confirm its my John Gibbons.

I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Again thank you all for your help, its very much appreciated.

David

David,

Living at 18 Coventry Street (ER 1925 and others) are a Catherine / Katherine Gibbons and Thomas and Ellen Lynock. Ellen, sister of Thomas (?) Gibbons married James Fitzpatrick Sept. Q. 1914 (1 child b. 22.10.1914 named Catherine). James died March Q. 1915 aged 25. Ellen remarried 26.10. 1918 Thomas Lynock. Thomas served Royal Warwickshire Regiment, Pte. 5194 and 65062 (enlisted April 1916). A son (Thomas J. Lynock) was killed 15.9.44 serving with R.A.S.C. (T/271930) . Service papers and National Roll info available for Thomas Snr. and will confirm above. 1939 Register still at 18 Coventry Street, mother Catherine (W) living with daughter and family.

Peter

Last edited:
Back