• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2023, 2024

i had a call from a woman who said she was from norton,and they have noticed that someone abroad is using my ip and they can block them for £125.
i have not been with norton for years i use avg

Had a phone call earlier which I didn't answer as I didn't recognise the "033..." number. Voice mail left. I listened to it telling me it was a recorded message saying British Gas had tried to contact me but all their operators were busy when I rang back. They would try again in the future or I could ring back.

Problem. They hadn't tried before and I hadn't rung back.
Solution: checked number on Google - negative rating as scam.
Number now blocked.

thats a new one a password was about to expire
Had an e mail about a week ago and apparently my TV Licence has expired, they told me the bank had declined the direct debit, and i had to click on the link provided to up date my information, if i didnt do this within 7 days my information would be passed onto a debt collection agency. So without clicking any link im checked my bank, direct debit paid as normal so no problem as i expected. They further stated if a debt collection agency came out (which they would do within a few days) then this would incur further costs. So i reported it to [email protected]. The sad part of it how many people fall for it and find out their bank has been emptied, just annoys me they are nothing more than absolute parasites.

Recently I sent a valuable antique watch to be repaired anbd received a quote of £800, followed by an emailed pro-forma invoice to send the money. I rang the watch repairer who said he had not sent the request for payment and someone had hacked into my email account. Luckily I had not fallen for the scam - but the hacker then deleted my email account.

Some while ago my friend fell for a scam when he received an email saying he had won a prize in a Spanish Lottery, and to ring a certain number. Like a pillock he rang the number but it just rang out -and out - and out! It turned out that when he had first rung he was directly connected to a recording of a phone ringing out and hanging on as he did, racked up a massive premium number charge. It cost him about £20 - but multiply that by the countless mugs so scammed and the trickster is receiving a tidy income!!

The moral is that a lot of scams are capitalising upon the victims greed and the expectation of something for nothing. For that reason I do not do internet banking (I use Nationwide where I can go and "lean on the counter") or for that matter buy off Ebay unless it is indemnified by PayPal or the like.

Remember the old saying: "It is only the people you trust who can let you down"

Here is an eBay scam that’s doing the rounds.

The person is promising to bid if I agree to send the item to an alternative location to their register eBay address.

Of course, they will then claim the item did not arrive and do a recall on their funds.

I only sell a few odd and ends on eBay, most of it when I am decluttering. I would not touch face book marketplace with a bargepole

ebay.JPG

Received an email today claiming to be from Screwfix, smelled a rat straight away and a quick check online confirmed it as a scam. A lot of retailers ask for your email when paying (I refuse to give mine) and by doing so they’re really not helping the situation at all.

Attachments

• IMG_0786.jpeg
    IMG_0786.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 12
Had an e mail about a week ago and apparently my TV Licence has expired, they told me the bank had declined the direct debit, and i had to click on the link provided to up date my information, if i didnt do this within 7 days my information would be passed onto a debt collection agency. So without clicking any link im checked my bank, direct debit paid as normal so no problem as i expected. They further stated if a debt collection agency came out (which they would do within a few days) then this would incur further costs. So i reported it to [email protected]. The sad part of it how many people fall for it and find out their bank has been emptied, just annoys me they are nothing more than absolute parasites.
Thanks, this is a very common scam. Never click on any link in an email. I check with my TV account and like you I pay with direct debit. Derek

Just received a telephone call from 01615452302. Saying he was a senior NHS Care worker, Trying to give me a FREE?? Medical alarm pendant. He knew my name and age as being over 70, before I divulged any further details I asked where they had got my information from. After repeatedly asking where this information was obtained the caller hung up. Beware it’s more than likely a scam.

Just received a telephone call from 01615452302. Saying he was a senior NHS Care worker, Trying to give me a FREE?? Medical alarm pendant. He knew my name and age as being over 70, before I divulged any further details I asked where they had got my information from. After repeatedly asking where this information was obtained the caller hung up. Beware it’s more than likely a scam.

This number is operated by PEERLESS NETWORK UK LIMITED and is primarily associated with a medical scam activity. While its dialling code associates it with Manchester, England, it utilises VoIP technology. As a result, the actual location of the caller cannot be determined.
The overall user rating for this number is Negative . The number 0161 545 2302 has been looked up 6 times, leading to 1 user comment that have helped form a clearer picture of the caller's intent.

I had another two texts today both claiming to be from Evri what was Hermes , the parcel being damaged etc I didn't read anymore they both have outlook accounts first one is [email protected]
the other [email protected] . Make sure you don't get caught out by these
I have not received any texts yet but my “Junk mail” seems to be growing and I am averaging about three to 4 scam calls per day. Fortunately my mobile carrier picks them up advises so I don’t pick up. My feeling is if it’s a real call they will leave a message then I can decide.

This number is operated by PEERLESS NETWORK UK LIMITED and is primarily associated with a medical scam activity. While its dialling code associates it with Manchester, England, it utilises VoIP technology. As a result, the actual location of the caller cannot be determined.
The overall user rating for this number is Negative . The number 0161 545 2302 has been looked up 6 times, leading to 1 user comment that have helped form a clearer picture of the caller's intent.
It seems that where the call originates is of no consequence anymore, other than we would like to know. Unfortunately there is little that we can do about it and certainly the authorities do not seem interested or capable of doing anything!

i had someone phone me thursday soon as i pick up the phone a voice said "can you hear me" very quiet so i hung up waited a bit then dialed 1471 it was a 02 number registered as a scammer pretending to be a health centre in london i thought of sandy powell:grinning:
1711180379875.jpeg

I received a very nice letter from a gentleman, with unpronounceable name, from a bank in Japan. He told me that someone with a surname the same as mine, but not known to me or my relations - dead or alive - had taken out a bank loan but sadly had died before repaying it.
The letter said that there no malice or anything attached but was sent to me as I shared the surname of the deceased.
Well my suspicions were instantly aroused as the sum was in dollars - the kind that Donald Trump has or talks about.
It seems that my email address prevents this kind of communication so a letter was sent instead, I prefer letters of this type, they burn easily in my fireplace whereas an email cannot be unless printed.

Another scam i was reading about the other day where some unsuspecting person had their bank account emptied as follows,

The police say someone had their bank accounts emptied after they paid a taxi driver with a debit card. The passenger had wanted to pay with their credit card, but the taxi driver asked for another method because he didn’t want to pay the 4% visa fee.

Police advise that whenever you are asked to use a debit card instead of credit card for whatever reason, enter the wrong PIN. If it is a counterfeit machine (used for skimming and downloading all your card details) it will pretend to process the payment and produce a receipt. Whereas an authentic machine will reject the PIN and request a “try again” message.

Help spread the word, as the police state this type of fraud is becoming increasingly prevalent.

May just help someone, so many scammers about waiting to rip innocent people off.

Another scam i was reading about the other day where some unsuspecting person had their bank account emptied as follows,

The police say someone had their bank accounts emptied after they paid a taxi driver with a debit card. The passenger had wanted to pay with their credit card, but the taxi driver asked for another method because he didn’t want to pay the 4% visa fee.

Police advise that whenever you are asked to use a debit card instead of credit card for whatever reason, enter the wrong PIN. If it is a counterfeit machine (used for skimming and downloading all your card details) it will pretend to process the payment and produce a receipt. Whereas an authentic machine will reject the PIN and request a “try again” message.

Help spread the word, as the police state this type of fraud is becoming increasingly prevalent.

May just help someone, so many scammers about waiting to rip innocent people off.
If you did that no cash would leave your account,the scammer scammed. Result.

NoddKD

If you did that no cash would leave your account,the scammer scammed. Result.

NoddKD
Agreed, nice to turn the scam onto them for once, free taxi ride in this case but it just highlights some of the dodges these people get up to, getting more and more sophisticated. Got to have your wits about you at all times.

I had another cracker yesterday this time from Sky Central titled Sky Mailbox Update it goes on
We are closing all old versions of our mailboxes as of today . please follow the link below to update your account , that of course is where jiggery pokery starts , thinking it authentic at first I did have the nous to check the email address and I find it hard to believe that a company like Sky has to use a twopenny ha'penny email address in this case it's [email protected] . Do try to steer clear of all these scams folks

Back