• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Piers Road Shop?

Qu.Be

Heróiam sláva
I've seen a Facebook Image, circa 1900, in the Nhóm lịch sử địa phương / (Handsworth) Local History Group, showing a hardware shop on a corner of Piers Road; the name on the shop window appears to be 'W Duddleston'. The shop is claimed to be on the corner of Soho Rd and Piers Road, but the buidings there currently look older than the claimed date and the National Library of Scotland map resources seem to show that the corner had been built up for quite some time prior to the picture.

Could I trouble anybody with access to references of the period to see where W. Duddleston's shop actually was?

Thanks, as they say, In Advance, QuinB.

I've seen a Facebook Image, circa 1900, in the Nhóm lịch sử địa phương / (Handsworth) Local History Group, showing a hardware shop on a corner of Piers Road; the name on the shop window appears to be 'W Duddleston'. The shop is claimed to be on the corner of Soho Rd and Piers Road, but the buidings there currently look older than the claimed date and the National Library of Scotland map resources seem to show that the corner had been built up for quite some time prior to the picture.

Could I trouble anybody with access to references of the period to see where W. Duddleston's shop actually was?

Thanks, as they say, In Advance, QuinB.
No. 38

Attachments

• piers-rd.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
That 1950s map is rather peculiar, in that it seems to show the address one side of the street at that point as being called Piers road , and the other side as St Michaels Hill. Haven't seen that anywhere before.

It's very unusual!
The Piers Road address seems to still be in use; while the area had that slightly shoddy makeover around 1981 and the buildings are getting pretty rundown now, the shop is still standing at the corner of Ashwin Road and there's a ’Piers Road' sign on the garden wall next door.

It's very unusual!
The Piers Road address seems to still be in use; while the area had that slightly shoddy makeover around 1981 and the buildings are getting pretty rundown now, the shop is still standing at the corner of Ashwin Road and there's a ’Piers Road' sign on the garden wall next door.
Yes but at least it's still standing.

Attachments

• piers-rd-2.jpg
    piers-rd-2.jpg
    823.6 KB · Views: 12
I was delighted when I dropped into Google maps and recognised the shape of the upstairs windows

That 1950s map is rather peculiar, in that it seems to show the address one side of the street at that point as being called Piers road , and the other side as St Michaels Hill. Haven't seen that anywhere before.
On streetview it still has a Piers Road nameplate and almost directly opposite a nameplate for St Michaels Hill, as you say Mike very unusual.

Piers Rd to St Michaels Hill junction in effect does not now exist, and the city council works yard shown on the map was closed many years ago, and the junction with St Michaels Hill does not now exist. The hill section from Soho Road (A41), and St Michaels Church (I was a choir boy there) to Factory Road is now all designated St Michaels Hill. At BM 418.69 is shown the lower edge of an apple orchard (long gone) where I and my pals used to scrump (steal) apples. The shop shown, wrongly identified in the picture as Soho Road (A41) is situated on the corner of Ashwin Road and, now, St Michaels Hill. Sorry but I have no recollection of what business occupied the premises while I resided with my maternal grandparents in North Western Terrace (top of Newton Place (shown) in the forties and fifties. Rod

Piers Rd to St Michaels Hill junction in effect does not now exist, and the city council works yard shown on the map was closed many years ago, and the junction with St Michaels Hill does not now exist. The hill section from Soho Road (A41), and St Michaels Church (I was a choir boy there) to Factory Road is now all designated St Michaels Hill. At BM 418.69 is shown the lower edge of an apple orchard (long gone) where I and my pals used to scrump (steal) apples. The shop shown, wrongly identified in the picture as Soho Road (A41) is situated on the corner of Ashwin Road and, now, St Michaels Hill. Sorry but I have no recollection of what business occupied the premises while I resided with my maternal grandparents in North Western Terrace (top of Newton Place (shown) in the forties and fifties. Rod
thanks for that info rod...very interesting

lyn

Back