• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Pagett , Canal Dredging

janeld

master brummie
My Great grandfather, I am told. Owned Perry Barr canal tip, and had a canal dredging company at the same place. His name was Arthur Pagett. I would apprecate it someone looked in Kelly's for me as I dont know any details about him or his business. The phone directories have him at this site certainly from 1939-1968 Thankyou.Jane

My Great grandfather, I am told. Owned Perry Barr canal tip, and had a canal dredging company at the same place. His name was Arthur Pagett. I would apprecate it someone looked in Kelly's for me as I dont know any details about him or his business. The phone directories have him at this site certainly from 1939-1968 Thankyou.Jane

He was at number 19 in 1940

No mention of Pagetts in this sort of work in 1921. Looked for college rd but didn't seem to exist, at least not in this directory (though the one listed as handsworth was probably the stub end of it)
1932, 1933, 1940, 1950 Arthur Pagett, Canal contractor, College Rd, Erdington
1956 Arthur Pagett and son Ltd. Canal dredgeing contractors and motor engineers ,
Perry Garage, college rd erdington; 1, Moor Lane and 75 St Johns Rd.
1964 Arthur Pagett and son Ltd. Motor engineers , Perry Garage, college rd erdington, 43 Warren Rd and 75 St Johns Rd.
Tips don't seem to be included in the directories.
Mike

Are the nos 19 and 59 the site of Pagetts, or near to it and no number given for Pagetts? In the case of the 1940 reference, Birmingham estates dept is slightly further down, but presumably is not the same address as the midwife at 587. If you look under Pagett in commercial names, no number is given (other than 22B for area of brum. Thius seems to happen quite often for firms,either the post office hasn't alocated a number, or kellys dont put it inMike

Thanks for looking mike.The st johns rd is his home address I remember going there as a small child. Strange no tip mentioned. it is mentioned in the telephone directories. Mom said apparently he owned the land he used for refuse disposal and later in life sold it and container base was built on it.

Thanks for looking mike.The st johns rd is his home address I remember going there as a small child. Strange no tip mentioned. it is mentioned in the telephone directories. Mom said apparently he owned the land he used for refuse disposal and later in life sold it and container base was built on it.
I remember fishing at a rubbish diposal site on the canal in my younger days,(although heaven knows why, never caught anything).It was in Moore Lane area.Whilst working on the industrial estate off Electric Avenue Witton I came across a chimney preserved as monument.This has a coat of arms on it consisting of Roman type pillars. I believe this coat of arms is something to do with refuse dept.If you stand with your back to the chimney to the right along the canal is Sphagetti Junction,to the left is Perry Barr.There is a container base entered via road at side of petrol station,on city bound side of College Rd just past Kingstanding/College Rd junction.The canal connects all.Hope this helps.

The site Baz describes is the site of the garage on college road listed earlier, coming out of Brum on the right hand side of the road, the last built on site before Moor lane and the Ridgeway.
Mike

Jane,
Old thread this but I knew I had seen the name Pagett on the forum somewhere. Don't know if this is of interest but I have just found my grandfather Edward William Smith in the 1921 Census - last of a long line of Worcester-born narrowboat men, working as a boatman for A Pagett, Canal Contractor. He was living at 1/64 Irving Street at the time. I was born in 1949 at 1/66.
Bill

I have left a post in the past, but cannot see it now. I’m not sure if the original owner of the post has looked since 2008. I remember Pagetts garage, and tip. It was on college Road Perry Barr. Opposite where my grandfather lived as a lock keeper on lock 10. Here is a picture of my grandfather in an iceboat, this might be Mr Paget on the left.
My grandparents knew him well.

Attachments

• IMG_2664.jpeg
    IMG_2664.jpeg
    91.3 KB · Views: 5
Back