• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Road.

Trebor

master brummie
Does anyone remember when there were some maisonettes opposite the Rock cinema, it appears they have been knocked down and a car park is there now.IMG_7735.jpeg

Yes, if they were the building that lay back a bit from the road. If you go to google street view you can change the date of the view. They were there in 2008 but all boarded up and the car park was there in the 2011, so knocked down between them.

I lived in Reginald Road just up from the maisonettes, 60 odd years ago a child ran from those maisonettes and was killed by a car, one day, I can’t remember if before or after this incident I was crossing over from Reginald Road I was 10 and my brother was 7, he let go of my hand and ran in front of a car and was knocked up in the air, he luckily got away with cuts and bruises, I felt sorry for the driver as he had just bought the car.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Terrible how just one moment can lead to such heartbreak.

There were a family named Curley possibly listed at no. 51 Alum Rock Road on ERs mid 50s, and they had a daughter (a twin) who died aged 6 in 1955. Can't see a newspaper report so may be just a coincidence.

That’s the one, I didn’t like to put the name on, but it was definitely the surname Curley. I remember clearly seeing the child in the road, it was awful.

cracking photo dated christmas 1925 barkers butchers 98 alum rock road st view shows no 98 is still there and is called silk touch

thumbnail - 2024-02-23T155010.371.jpg

Last edited:
Back