• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

British Leyland (before it was British Leyland?)

ForeverBrummie

Brummie babby
My father worked for British Leyland in Birmingham for many years.
I've found a couple of photos he took at work and I want to share here, but trying to find more details first.
His memory isn't good these days, so I want to check some details first.
He says he worked at the site BEFORE it became British Leyland and that's when these photos were taken.
He can't remember what the company was called then though. Can anyone help?
When I post them I want to put the correct company name on the post!

Hi Forever,
Part of the BL vehicles were previously ,BMC ,Austin , Morris , MG , Riley , Wolseley , have you any idea about where in Birmingham he worked that would help trace the factory and what he was involved with .

From Google:

Morris's Nuffield Organisation merged with Austin to create the British Motor Corporation Limited (BMC) in 1952. Its activities were renamed MG Division of BMC in 1967, and so it was a component of the 1968 merger that created British Leyland Motor Corporation (BLMC).

From Google:

Morris's Nuffield Organisation merged with Austin to create the British Motor Corporation Limited (BMC) in 1952. Its activities were renamed MG Division of BMC in 1967, and so it was a component of the 1968 merger that created British Leyland Motor Corporation (BLMC).
Pre BMC Nuffield companies in Birmingham were, Morris Commercial at Adderley Park, Nuffield Metal Products at Common Lane, Wolseley at Drews Lane, and SU Carburettors at Wood Lane, Erdington.
PA739

@PA739.
Thank you. You've unlocked some memories with your information.
He was at Drew's Lane. He's even remembered the names of a couple of people in the photographs.
I have three photographs of workers in the Warehouse from probably the early 1970s and one of a deliver driver leaning out his cab window from W. Jones and Sons.
Where in the forums is the best place to post these?
Birmingham History, memories and Nostalgia; Factories & Offices?

I like the idea that I can upload these photos and the people in them or their descendants will stumble across them one day, so I want to put them in the best place.

Also do I just attach the photographs using the paperclip icon?
I can see an image hosting login, but I can't see how to sign up!
(Sorry if I'm being a bit dense!)

Thanks

My father worked for British Leyland in Birmingham for many years.
I've found a couple of photos he took at work and I want to share here, but trying to find more details first.
His memory isn't good these days, so I want to check some details first.
He says he worked at the site BEFORE it became British Leyland and that's when these photos were taken.
He can't remember what the company was called then though. Can anyone help?
When I post them I want to put the correct company name on the post!
Was it not B M C?

Nick Phillips

@PA739.
Thank you. You've unlocked some memories with your information.
He was at Drew's Lane. He's even remembered the names of a couple of people in the photographs.
I have three photographs of workers in the Warehouse from probably the early 1970s and one of a deliver driver leaning out his cab window from W. Jones and Sons.
Where in the forums is the best place to post these?
Birmingham History, memories and Nostalgia; Factories & Offices?

I like the idea that I can upload these photos and the people in them or their descendants will stumble across them one day, so I want to put them in the best place.

Also do I just attach the photographs using the paperclip icon?
I can see an image hosting login, but I can't see how to sign up!
(Sorry if I'm being a bit dense!)

Thanks
Yes the easiest way, for me, is to make a post with any details of the photos and use the paperclip icon

I worked at Drews Lane on the front axle assembly from 1976 till 1981, and my Uncle worked as a driver for W. Jones and sons for many years delivering the axles to most of the British Leyland plants around the country, and as a nipper I used to go with him during the school holidays.

I've posted the photos in the Birmingham History, Memories and Nostalgia; Factories & Offices forum.
I'd absolutely love it if it's your uncle in the photo aston lad, though I suspect the odds are against it!

Last edited:
I was really hoping that he was, but sadly not, he would have known him but again sadly he passed away a very long time ago now, thank you for posting them.

Back