• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

info on Barbarella's and Peppermint Place nightclubs

Mike

If this overlay map that Lyn recommends is accurate the site you link to is almost correct though most of the club would have been on the site of 5 Brindley Place as opposed to 7 Brindley Place where the RBS is located.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.4776&lon=-1.9147&layers=176&b=6

Phil I'm baffled by all this mention of Brindley Place , I lived just off Broad St from 1955-64 , to get to from William St to Cumberland St I had to walk up Granville St across Broad St . With the redevelopment , I later visited Brindley Place which was around the Bridge St area , I thought it started / stopped there, does it now go up as far as Cumberland St ?

I used to go the rum runner 1976 before the new romantics, Down an alleyway with coloured lights. it was a disco club with little alcoves you could sit in .
Often refused entry because of no tie on we would head down to Barbarellas, where brindley place is now. Seen loads of the original punk groups there and even Slade in 1978.
At 2 when the club shut we would get sausage and chips from the towrope or a pie from the tea wagon in bull St by the night service bus stops.
There were often fights in the towrope and by tea wagon and on the bus.
Used to go Sloopy's too and the cedar around 76/77 . When Barbarellas shut in 79 the cedar became the club to see punk bands..

I used to go the rum runner 1976 before the new romantics, Down an alleyway with coloured lights. it was a disco club with little alcoves you could sit in .
Often refused entry because of no tie on we would head down to Barbarellas, where brindley place is now. Seen loads of the original punk groups there and even Slade in 1978.
At 2 when the club shut we would get sausage and chips from the towrope or a pie from the tea wagon in bull St by the night service bus stops.
There were often fights in the towrope and by tea wagon and on the bus.
Used to go Sloopy's too and the cedar around 76/77 . When Barbarellas shut in 79 the cedar became the club to see punk bands..

That just shows how times were changing, when me and my mates were around the town in the 60's you might not believe this but people actually mixed with each other . We could go out for a night of fun and booze and spoke nicely to each other , then we went home without a guilty conscience whatsoever those were the days . When you didn't go tooled up for a night out

Very true, I started clubbing in Birmingham (No Tiffany's in Long Lane, Halesowen for us!) at the age of 16 (Parents thought I was at the church youth club, thankfully they went to bed early though..) my friends and I had great nights out in the mid 70s without any problems and then walked a couple of miles homes as the 9 night bus ended at Quinton, outside Halesowen.

Hi All,

I know there will be people out there can help me with my quest! I am trying to find the address of Barbarella's and Peppermint Place Nightclubs please!

I remember a small club on Corporation Street somewhere where Yates/The Crown are and I thought it was Barb's but a friend said no.....and we are both too young to remember (honestly)

I "remember Peppermint Place being on Broad Street by Five Ways but another friend said it was at the top of New Street!

And does anyone remember Hosteria's Wine Bar??

Please Help!:)
Yes, I used all of them.

I remember Barbarellas very well. I used to go there in the 1970s - saw lots of punk bands there - I loved it...

There were also Rebeccas and Pollyanas - I dont remember where Pollyanas was but I think (and I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong) Rebeccas was on the site where Edward's No 8 was in the 90s... (maybe it's still there I don't know...). I always understood that the clubs were owned by Eddie Fewtrell and named after his daughters...Was there another club with a similar name as well - maybe a fourth daughter?

When I was very little there was a club called 'Castaway' or 'The Castaways' on I think Bradford St. There was a big sail (like on a boat) outside the entrance. My mum always looked a bit disaproving when I commented on how nice it looked....

Peppermint Place I don't remember at all...
Barbarellas, Rebecca's and Abigails

Very true, I started clubbing in Birmingham (No Tiffany's in Long Lane, Halesowen for us!) at the age of 16 (Parents thought I was at the church youth club, thankfully they went to bed early though..) my friends and I had great nights out in the mid 70s without any problems and then walked a couple of miles homes as the 9 night bus ended at Quinton, outside Halesowen.
I remember the windows been shot out

If you you stand on the right hand corner of Newhall Street at the junction of Colmore Row, Pollyanna's was about twenty yards on the right on Newhall Street. It was recently the location of Glynn Purnell's Bistro restaurant. I went there for a meal shortly before he closed it. Strangely enough the interior had changed little since I first visited as a teenager in the early '70s (I admit to feeling quiet strange).

Purnell's Bistro, Newhall Street.jpg

Barbarella's address...

Barbarella's 1974.jpg

Staring at that 2-months lineup totally and absolutely open-mouthed!

I mean, Queen but not yet Bohemian Rhapsody.

Wow, just .... WOW!

Plus, from this day forth Iggy will always be Giggy to me :)

Last edited:
If you you stand on the right hand corner of Newhall Street at the junction of Colmore Row, Pollyanna's was about twenty yards on the right on Newhall Street. It was recently the location of Glynn Purnell's Bistro restaurant. I went there for a meal shortly before he closed it. Strangely enough the interior had changed little since I first visited as a teenager in the early '70s (I admit to feeling quiet strange).

Barbarella's address...

Some great names up there for top class acts Barbarellas was the place to go. Those dates were for 1974. Great times. Great post.

Staring at that 2-months lineup totally and absolutely open-mouthed!

I mean, Queen but not yet Bohemian Rhapsody.

Wow, just .... WOW!

Plus, from this day forth Iggy will always be Giggy to me :)
Seven Seas of Rhye by Queen was released around this time, it still sounds brilliant today.

Hi All,

I know there will be people out there can help me with my quest! I am trying to find the address of Barbarella's and Peppermint Place Nightclubs please!

I remember a small club on Corporation Street somewhere where Yates/The Crown are and I thought it was Barb's but a friend said no.....and we are both too young to remember (honestly)

I "remember Peppermint Place being on Broad Street by Five Ways but another friend said it was at the top of New Street!

And does anyone remember Hosteria's Wine Bar??

Please Help!:)
Hi back in the 1970`s used to go to Barbarella`s and i think it was somewhere of Suffolk street around Gough street
off Holloway Head at that time there was lot of Demolition sites nearby so its difficult to pin point and we were all kids at the time and 50 years ago its hard to remember

Hi back in the 1970`s used to go to Barbarella`s and i think it was somewhere of Suffolk street around Gough street
off Holloway Head at that time there was lot of Demolition sites nearby so its difficult to pin point and we were all kids at the time and 50 years ago its hard to remember

Barbarella's address...

Barbarella's address...

Just look at the Big names on the bill betwween March 3rd and May 5th. Even with a Trapeze artist as well . When it came to best in the buisness Eddie Fewtrell delivered. Big Time.

Back