• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moor End Green House

Lady Penelope

master brummie
Does anyone know anything about this property please? The census shows the Whitehouse family living variously at this property and just Moor End Green/Lane. They were there from mid-1800's to at least the early 1900's. Occupations mainly 'farmer'. They greatly contributed to the interior of St Barnabas' church, Erdington and there were various commemorative plaques and items of woodwork there before the fire. Not sure if they survived though.
There may be another thread with information on but I haven't had any luck searching for it.

Thanks Pedro. This is to do with the land around the Greyhound which was owned by 'Mrs Whitehouse'. This has seemed like the most likely family so far so will pursue it.

1891 probate records for Elizabeth Whitehouse

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-19_19-30-12.png
    upload_2018-7-19_19-30-12.png
    151.8 KB · Views: 18
Louisa died in 1919 but her address is not Moor End Green House

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-19_19-35-37.png
    upload_2018-7-19_19-35-37.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 13
The 1912 electoral roll lists Jane Diana Ann Whitehouse at Poplar cottage (one of those not common examples of a propertied woman having the vote then, even if it was only for local elections). From 1897 (the first year Moor End lane was listed in Birmingham Kellys) Kellys lists the occupant of Poplar cottage just as Miss Whitehouse

MARCH 1859 for interest....

St. Barnabas, Erdington taken out of Aston.
St. Michael, Boldmere taken out of Sutton.

67627804-ADE8-465E-94EE-5E35313BE46C.jpeg

Thank you both.
Janice, I do feel that this family is worth pursuing as Mrs Whitehouse was a widow for over 20 years which includes the period of time I'm interested in.
Mike, in the Birmingham rates books there is a 'Miss Whitehouse' in the owners column of a property in Marsh Lane, Erdington in 1901 but. She isn't the occupant.
Interestingly (to me anyway) Elizabeth Whitehouse commemorated her parents and her son and his wife, at St Barnabas, but not her husband.​

Pedro, I was reading recently that you could be baptised and buried at St Barnabas from about 1824 when it was built but not married there until 1858 as it was still a chapel of ease. People still had to make their way to Aston Parish church for the ceremony.

I wonder if Moor End Green House was sold after John Daniel died in 1910 or if it went to someone else in the family.

4551F63E-4FAA-40E4-957B-23C164ACE7F3.jpeg 2EEC2FFC-8AE8-4BE3-ADB2-AEFC3B2793EE.jpeg C8DE695D-6F51-4BB9-90CE-B8B811FA7195.jpeg

Three entries in Kelly's for 1900, 1908 and 1913.

1900 JD. Whitehouse, farmer
Miss Whitehouse, Poplar cottage
William Whitehorse, farmer.

1908 JD Whitehouse, farmer
Miss Whitehouse, Poplar Cottage

1913 just Miss Whitehouse, Poplar Cottage

It always amazes me how many names you come to recognise after a while. HH Rose is Hyla Holden Rose who was curate-in-charge of St Barnabas church until he was made Vicar in 1858. Strangely he lived in Edgbaston and came over for the weekend! Mr Machin was a landowner and had a road named after him, J B Whitehouse is the son of Elizabeth, landowner and gent. (I believe he died the following December) and Wm Fowler wrote the History of Erdington: an address to the Historical Society in the 1880's. I suppose they were on the Parish Council.

Janice, John Daniel had at least one brother, William. Haven't found out what happened to him yet. John Daniel's son John Bullivant Jnr went to live with his aunt, John D's sister, Jane Diane Ann, mentioned in one of the posts together with his sister Louisa Diane Mary. I think they had been orphaned by now and they are all at Poplar Cottage in 1911. John B is definitely in Erdington until 1935 as he is a churchwarden. He then pops up in the West Cotswolds in 1974 where I presume he died.

I would think that the farm was probably sold after Elizabeth's death. There's also a Moat House and Ash Tree Cottage on the census where some of the family live.

“John Daniel had at least one brother, William.”

Would that be the William mentioned above in the 1900 Kelly, further up the road?

Pedro, very interesting - our posts crossed so (1900) this could be the William Whitehouse, brother of John D. Not mentioned in 1908. Ash Tree Cottage is however. Also Wm Nock - wonder if he's the Nock of the brickworks fame in Holly Lane?
Only one Miss Whitehouse left in 1913. Wonder if St Ethelreda's Mission Church is now the URC?

So this information has given me a couple of things at least to go on. I have two possible 'Mrs Whitehouses', Elizabeth and Jane and lots of the men to look up. I shall now have to brave Birmingham Archives again to look in the indexes and again if there is anything of interest.
Just a note but it appears that Lichfield Record Office is no more, I spent many a happy hour there - we have to go to Stafford now to look for wills.

Back