• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Probert John C1792 Married Harriet Feraday

Bronwen Summers

knowlegable brummie
Any information on John's parents etc gratefully received.
thanks Bronwen Summers, Christchurch, NZ

1792 PROBERT
John Probert husband of Harriet Feraday

b.1792 Birmingham, Warwickshire, Eng.
m.1838c Harriet Feraday, Birmingham, Warwickshire, Eng.
d.1859 April Warstone Lane Cemetery, Icknield Street, Hockley, Birmingham, Warwickshire, Eng.
Census
1851 John Probert 59, Journeyman stamper of gilt toys, Harriet 33, Sarah 12, Fanny 11, John 7, Henry 5, Emma 4, William 1, House 1, Court Dale End street, The Ward of St Peter

Harriet Feraday wife of John Probert, mother of Sarah Jane Probert
b.1818 Upton on Severn, Worcestershire, Eng.
m.1838c John Probert, Birmingham, Warwickshire, Eng.
m.1861 Thomas McQuire (can’t find record of marriage)
d.1883 Jan Witton Cemetery, 17 Moor Lane, Witton, Birmimgham, Warwickshire, Eng.
Children 9
1838 May 25 cJune 11 Sarah Jane Probert, Birmingham, Warwickshire
1839 Feb 3 c1840 Dec 29 St Martin Fanny Probert, Birmingham, Warwickshire, Eng.
1844 John Probert, Birmingham, Warwickshire, Eng.
1846 Oct>Dec Henry Probert, Birmingham, Warwickshire, Eng.
1847 Emma Probert, Birmingham, Warwickshire, Eng. 1891 census 51 single, dress and mantle maker, Balsall Heath Rd.
1850 Jan>Mar William Probert, Birmingham, Warwickshire, Eng.
1853 Arthur Probert, Birmingham, Warwickshire, Eng.
1859 Elizabeth Probert/McQuire, Birmingham, Warwickshire, Eng.
1860-1920 July 1 Thomas Morris Probert (1881 census lithographic machine printer House No. 1 Florence Place, Coleshill St ) m.1880 Feb 29 Martha Orson 1863-1920, St George’s Birmingham, Warwickshire Eng. c.1880-1888 Thomas William Morris Probert, 1883-1887 Ruth Morris Probert, 1884-1971 Minnie Probert, 1890 Albert Probert, 1892-1985 Leonard Probert, 1896-1984 Lillie Probert, 1898-1950 Alfred Philip Probert, 1903 Violet Probert.
Census
1861 Thomas Morris McQuire 33 (born 1828 Ireland) Porter of provision stores, Harriet McQuire 38, Henry Probert 16 Brass founder, William Probert 11 errand boy, Arthur Probert 8, Elizabeth McQuire 2, Thomas McQuire 1, Dale End, court 1 No 5
1871 Harriet Probert 50, Thomas Probert (McQuire) grocers porter 49, Arthur Probert 18 gun stock finisher, Elizabeth Probert 12, Thomas Probert 11, 13 Coach Yard, Birmingham, Municipal Ward, St Mary
1881 Harriet Probert 60 seamstress widow, Elizabeth Probert 22 domestic servant, Court 24

John Probert married Harriet Ferreday 9 Oct 1843 at St Martin's, Birmingham. Father is listed as Ralph.

John Probat baptised 27 Dec 1791 at St Martin's, Birmingham. Parents Ralph and Mary.

Ralph Probert married Mary Freeth 24 Jan 1787 Birmingham.

Ralph was living in Ward St in 1841 with a Sarah Probert who was listed as a Publican.

Ralph died in 1841 and there appears to be a newspaper obituary for him on 5 Jul 1841.

Mary died in 1832.

John and Harriet are living in Moor St in 1841 with 2 daughters Jane (Sarah Jane) and Fanny. He is listed as a Porter.

Last edited:
Since Harriet reverts to being Harriet Probert and is buried by that name it is likely she was not married to Thomas.

Many to both of you for all of this it is very helpful. I cannot understand why I couldn't find them in the 1841 census but that is the way it is sometimes. Regards Bronwen, Christchurch, NZ

Ralph was living in Ward St in 1841 with a Sarah Probert who was listed as a Publican.

Ralph died in 1841 and there appears to be a newspaper obituary for him on 5 Jul 1841.

Mary died in 1832.

John and Harriet are living in Moor St in 1841 with 2 daughters Jane (Sarah Jane) and Fanny. He is listed as a Porter.

if as i suspect it is ward st newtown where ralph and sarah were living in 1841 then we should have couple of old photos of the street on the forum...as sarah was down as a publican i wonder if she kept the pub that was on the corner of lower tower st and ward st which was the malt shovel or even the hope and anchor that was in ward st...ward st is still there..very tiny st which would take no more than a couple of mins to walk from one end of it to the other

lyn

Last edited:
Dsrsh Probert is down in Pigot's 1941 directory as being at the Hope and Anchor, 29 Ward St, this is shown on the c1889 map in red. She is not listed in the 1845 directory

map c 1889 showing ward st with hope and anchor.jpg

cheers mike i have just posted on the ward st thread that im after a photo of the hope and anchor..

lyn

There are a couple of christenings at St Chads both with the father Thomas Maguire and one with mother Harriet Fereday Maguire, the other, Harriet Probert Maguire, The spellings are a little different because of the use of Latin - I have screen shots of the dates etc but not sure of any copyright issues however the details are free to view on Familysearch or contact me through the personal messaging on this site with an Email address and I'll send the screen shots, regards, John.

There are a couple of christenings at St Chads both with the father Thomas Maguire and one with mother Harriet Fereday Maguire, the other, Harriet Probert Maguire, The spellings are a little different because of the use of Latin - I have screen shots of the dates etc but not sure of any copyright issues however the details are free to view on Familysearch or contact me through the personal messaging on this site with an Email address and I'll send the screen shots, regards, John.
T

if as i suspect it is ward st newtown where ralph and sarah were living in 1841 then we should have couple of old photos of the street on the forum...as sarah was down as a publican i wonder if she kept the pub that was on the corner of lower tower st and ward st which was the malt shovel or even the hope and anchor that was in ward st...ward st is still there..very tiny st which would take no more than a couple of mins to walk from one end of it to the other

lyn

Many thanks Lyn
Best wishes Bronwen Christchurch, NZ

Yes great I have them now - just wanted to know whether there is any idea of the date of No 8 court?

They only Sarah (Jane) Probert I have was only a few years old - so no pub.
I wonder whether Sarah was Ralph's sister?

I am hoping to get the cemeteries for some of these I have a couple but my brother is coming that way in a month or so.

Cheers on a grey cold day in Christchurch, NZ

1762 PROBERT
Ralph Probert husband of Mary Freeth

b.
m.1787 Jan 24 Mary Freeth, St Martins, Birmingham, Eng.
d.1841 obituary 5-7-1841
Census
1841 living in Ward St with Sarah Probert who was a publican

1762 FREETH
Mary Freeth wife of Ralph Probert mother of Harriet Ferreday

b.
m.1787 Jan 24 Ralph Probert, St Martins, Birmingham, Eng.
d.1832

John Probert husband of Harriet Feraday
b.1791 Dec 27 St Martins Birmingham, Warwickshire, Eng.
m.1843 Oct 9 Harriet Ferreday St Martin's, Birmingham, Eng.
d.1859 April Warstone Lane Cemetery, Icknield Street, Hockley, Birmingham, Warwickshire, Eng.
Census
1841 John a porter with his wife Harriet and Sarah Jane Probert and Fanny Probert, living in Moor St
1851 John Probert 59, Journeyman stamper of gilt toys, Harriet 33, Sarah 12, Fanny 11, John 7, Henry 5, Emma 4, William 1, House 1, Court Dale End street, The Ward of St Peter

Harriet Feraday wife of John Probert, mother of Sarah Jane Probert
b.1818 Upton on Severn, Worcestershire, Eng.
m.1843 Oct 9 John Probert, St Martin's, Birmingham, Eng.
1838c John Probert, Birmingham, Warwickshire, Eng.
m.1861 Thomas McQuire (no record of marriage)
d.1883 Jan Witton Cemetery, 17 Moor Lane, Witton, Birmimgham, Warwickshire, Eng.
Children 9
1838 May 25 cJune 11 Sarah Jane Probert, Birmingham, Warwickshire (the line I am following - married a Bland)

lyn

Can you tell me where sited the obituary?

thanks Bronwen

Bronwen,

There's a Ralph Probert buried in 1842 at Key Hill Cemetery (BMSGH Index)

Maurice

Bronwen,

There's a Ralph Probert buried in 1842 at Key Hill Cemetery (BMSGH Index)

Maurice

Thanks Maurice - someone had sent me this for Ralph Probert from this site I think. I haven't found the obituary yet.

d.1841 obituary 5-7-1841

Best wishes Bronwen

That's the only death on civil registration too - 2nd Qtr 1841 - Birmingham Reg Dist - Vol 16 Page 178. Nothing showing on FMP other than that either.

Maurice

Back