• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Eliot Street School Nechells

Hello., I left Eliot Street (Seniors) in 1961 so we may have crossed paths as I also attended Juniors and remembered Mr Rome.,Mr Stratford (EX RAF PTI) I remember Mr Johns, we also had Mr Derby, Mr Holloway, Mrs Stableford the craft teacher who taught me every craft I now do, Miss Peck, domestic science, Mrs Sybil May who coached us through our 'O' levels GCE English Literature at her home as well as at school. I expect everyone remembers Headmaster Mr Scott who lived next door to John Arlott in Wiltshire and had the lovely accent. Query for those who read this, anyone remember Rita Nicholas (loved her impression of Elvis) Sandra Clarke (Clank) and Gilly Evans, at one point my bestest pals!
Also remembered Mr Tom Fisher (what a dish, with or without his beard).

Hello., I left Eliot Street (Seniors) in 1961 so we may have crossed paths as I also attended Juniors and remembered Mr Rome.,Mr Stratford (EX RAF PTI) I remember Mr Johns, we also had Mr Derby, Mr Holloway, Mrs Stableford the craft teacher who taught me every craft I now do, Miss Peck, domestic science, Mrs Sybil May who coached us through our 'O' levels GCE English Literature at her home as well as at school. I expect everyone remembers Mr Scott who lived next door to John Arlott in Wiltshire and had the lovely accent. Query for those who read this, anyone remember Rita Nicholas (loved her impression of Elvis) Sandra Clarke (Clank) and Gilly Evans, at one point my bestest pals!

Hi Catherine I was born in 1944 and I left Eliot Street Juniors at Xmas 1954. I did not have chance to say goodbye through a family behreavement. Unlike you I do not have the Senior experience to remember Teachers etc but what I do rememer is as follows:
Class mates Maureen Boyd--Sylvia ?--Roy Rich--Carole Mallett--Alfie Jones--Keith Harbin--and many others. Teachers as already mentioned in my 2014 blog. Where you same or another year to me at Juniors?
Remember school trip to Plaza for Everest film screening.

Roger Boulton
Chattaway Street

Hi Catherine I was born in 1944 and I left Eliot Street Juniors at Xmas 1954. I did not have chance to say goodbye through a family behreavement. Unlike you I do not have the Senior experience to remember Teachers etc but what I do rememer is as follows:
Class mates Maureen Boyd--Sylvia ?--Roy Rich--Carole Mallett--Alfie Jones--Keith Harbin--and many others. Teachers as already mentioned in my 2014 blog. Where you same or another year to me at Juniors?
Remember school trip to Plaza for Everest film screening.

Roger Boulton
Chattaway Street
Chattaway Street!! A sweet shop on the corner that sold fizzy white Kaylie or however it is spelled., A lass called Christine lived nearby, I lived in Cook Street round the corner, in fact last year my brother (born 1947)and I (born 1943) actually went there just to see our old haunts, I am not too sure about Junior years I spent there at Eliot but I have to say apart from a period of bullying (see the school bullies thread) I absolutely adored school and was utterly bereft when I left at 16/17 (stayed on to take 'O' levels) by which time my family had moved to Perry Barr and I had to walk to Cuckoo Bridge to catch a bus or two home. Our class was taken to see the Dambusters at a cinema near Fiveways Aston, not far from Aston Hippodrome so I may have been a class behind you.
Lovely to see your reply.

Chattaway Street!! A sweet shop on the corner that sold fizzy white Kaylie or however it is spelled., A lass called Christine lived nearby, I lived in Cook Street round the corner, in fact last year my brother (born 1947)and I (born 1943) actually went there just to see our old haunts, I am not too sure about Junior years I spent there at Eliot but I have to say apart from a period of bullying (see the school bullies thread) I absolutely adored school and was utterly bereft when I left at 16/17 (stayed on to take 'O' levels) by which time my family had moved to Perry Barr and I had to walk to Cuckoo Bridge to catch a bus or two home. Our class was taken to see the Dambusters at a cinema near Fiveways Aston, not far from Aston Hippodrome so I may have been a class behind you.
Lovely to see your reply.

Catherine If you were born in 1943 you should be a class in front of me? Next door to the corner shop my friend(two years older than I) lived `Brian Caulfield`--I was born up the hill in Cook Street and left for 39 Chattaway Street at age three.
Johnny Roe lived in Cook Street--but not sure about Christine. Dawn Franklin lived next to us--and I think the cinema
you went to to see the Dam Busters(1955) was the Globe! I went there once--sat on a soap box!

Yes I always loved school(only child)--and would go back again--but not in this time zone.
Lovely to hear from you Catherine---hope you are reasonably happy? Where did the years go?

Roger

Hello Roger.,

I stood in Dawn Franklin's garden one sunny afternoon aged about 9 staring at the clouds for cherubs, well we were told at Sunday school that's where they lived, Christine lived in that little cul de sac off Chattaway. Yes I think it was the Globe but my brothers and I were regulars at the Aston Cross cinema every Saturday morning - down Holborn Hill, up along Lichfield Rd, cost 6 pence. To this day Flash Gordon and Ming the Merciless (and Roy Rogers) are burned in my brain ha ha.

Brian Caulfield rings a bell, do you remember the Pittaways from Chattaway - one was in my class (Alan?) , I believe they emigrated in the late 50s/60's to Australia as £10 Poms, I remember one of them said they all had their teeth filled prior to going.

Yes time has flown but I am happy to still be here despite all that life has thrown at me, content is the word, enjoying my retirement as much as poss on behalf of those I knew and loved didn't make it thus far. trust you are the same, Catherine

Hello Roger.,

I stood in Dawn Franklin's garden one sunny afternoon aged about 9 staring at the clouds for cherubs, well we were told at Sunday school that's where they lived, Christine lived in that little cul de sac off Chattaway. Yes I think it was the Globe but my brothers and I were regulars at the Aston Cross cinema every Saturday morning - down Holborn Hill, up along Lichfield Rd, cost 6 pence. To this day Flash Gordon and Ming the Merciless (and Roy Rogers) are burned in my brain ha ha.

Brian Caulfield rings a bell, do you remember the Pittaways from Chattaway - one was in my class (Alan?) , I believe they emigrated in the late 50s/60's to Australia as £10 Poms, I remember one of them said they all had their teeth filled prior to going.

Yes time has flown but I am happy to still be here despite all that life has thrown at me, content is the word, enjoying my retirement as much as poss on behalf of those I knew and loved didn't make it thus far. trust you are the same, Catherine

Catherine I notice on Google Earth there are still a few original homes left--(bottom of Cook Street--NPR)--what was Christine`s surname? I knew Alan Pittaway and I met his mate Brian Caulfield five years ago. I believe Alan was working for the RSPCA or some such organisation?
My Saturday Matinees were in Kingstanding but--Brian and I went to a film showing one of the weekdays to a hall mid
way along NPR(by a garage)--do
you remember Sandra Reynolds? she now lives in the IOW. Ramsey Road(cul de sac) was still there in it`s original form until a few years ago. Trevor Jones lived on the corner--and another a few yards away was Colin Ward. `Old Bill` stood
on the corner of Ramsey Road--he had learning difficulties. Me and Berian went to see `Calamity Jane` three times in one week! I still love Musicals!
Hope these reminders jog a few grey cells Catherine.
fondest regards

Roger

Catherine I notice on Google Earth there are still a few original homes left--(bottom of Cook Street--NPR)--what was Christine`s surname? I knew Alan Pittaway and I met his mate Brian Caulfield five years ago. I believe Alan was working for the RSPCA or some such organisation?
My Saturday Matinees were in Kingstanding but--Brian and I went to a film showing one of the weekdays to a hall mid
way along NPR(by a garage)--do
you remember Sandra Reynolds? she now lives in the IOW. Ramsey Road(cul de sac) was still there in it`s original form until a few years ago. Trevor Jones lived on the corner--and another a few yards away was Colin Ward. `Old Bill` stood
on the corner of Ramsey Road--he had learning difficulties. Me and Berian went to see `Calamity Jane` three times in one week! I still love Musicals!
Hope these reminders jog a few grey cells Catherine.
fondest regards

Roger
Hello Roger.,
I think you may be right, that Christine may have been a Sandra Ramsey, when I visited Cook St last year I stood in that cul de sac and walked past those houses at the bottom of Cook St - thence outside our school, the memories overwhelmed me, John Russell's Mom (used to be one of the cooks - our school dinners were the best ) home facing the school still there, I can still hear her ticking me off for being cheeky!, also comes to mind are the Pearsons, Shirley Simpson, the Oldacres, all in Cook. NPR had the best fish and chips, not far from the swimming baths (that building still there in all its glory, now a kindergarten I believe.) Mr Quillan, harsh taskmaster and he always put me down however he did teach us all how to write beautifully with italic nibs, does that ring a bell.
Catherine

Hello Roger.,
I think you may be right, that Christine may have been a Sandra Ramsey, when I visited Cook St last year I stood in that cul de sac and walked past those houses at the bottom of Cook St - thence outside our school, the memories overwhelmed me, John Russell's Mom (used to be one of the cooks - our school dinners were the best ) home facing the school still there, I can still hear her ticking me off for being cheeky!, also comes to mind are the Pearsons, Shirley Simpson, the Oldacres, all in Cook. NPR had the best fish and chips, not far from the swimming baths (that building still there in all its glory, now a kindergarten I believe.) Mr Quillan, harsh taskmaster and he always put me down however he did teach us all how to write beautifully with italic nibs, does that ring a bell.
Catherine
The grey cells have clicked in Roger, Sandra Randall not Ramsey, thanks for awakening the dormant files!

The grey cells have clicked in Roger, Sandra Randall not Ramsey, thanks for awakening the dormant files!

Hi Catherine No nib could make me write nicely--but still love a fountain pen. So many memories and still fresh. The Primary school(seen on internet) still the same--main hall all those terrible country dance lessons from Miss Parry. Hold the girls hands boys-one, two and then she would start clapping and moving in a grotesque dance.
Okay Catherine I gild the lily somewhat. Mr Reece recently died--87--remember him but did not like his wife!!
I suppose we probably met(without knowing of course) living so close. Coronation Day my father took me to London(too late missed the main show)--I do have a picture of a party in Chattaway Street--held top end by NPR. Ramsay Road--others the Hands
--Brian was my pal--I think he had siblings-Christine? the Beards--sister & brother Tom and ?
Okay over to you.

Roger

Hi again., Yes I vaguely remember the name Beard and Brian Hands but difficult to picture folks without photos eh? I have a list of names somewhere for anyone interested in classmates of mine, approx. 1958-61., just let me know. Roger, I loved the country dancing, my partner used to be Brian Toon.

Great pity Friends Reunited folded as there were so many classmates on there with interesting tales and reminiscences.
The Pearsons lived just a way up the hill in Cook, ring a bell? Did you go to another school after 1954 daft question I realise, but Eliot St was important to you I guess. Also, at the time fountain pens were such a trend, Conway-Stewart, all lovely marbled designs, never had one - too expensive but on the internet these days they are available, amazing.
Best wishes, Catherine

Attachments

• Mom at work.jpg
    Mom at work.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Hi again., Yes I vaguely remember the name Beard and Brian Hands but difficult to picture folks without photos eh? I have a list of names somewhere for anyone interested in classmates of mine, approx. 1958-61., just let me know. Roger, I loved the country dancing, my partner used to be Brian Toon.

Great pity Friends Reunited folded as there were so many classmates on there with interesting tales and reminisences.
The Pearsons lived just a way up the hill in Cook, ring a bell? Did you go to another school after 1954 daft question I realise, but Eliot St was important to you I guess. Also, at the time fountain pens were such a trend, Conway-Stewart, all lovely marbled designs, never had one - too expensive but on the internet these days they are available, amazing.
Best wishes, Catherine

Hello Catherine Thanks again for your reply. No--the Pearsons do not come to mind.
When I left Chattaway at Xmas `54 I went to King`s Rise school, Kingstanding until
I left in 1960.
I am not sure how your list of classmates will dovetail in with my reduced time in Nechells and our apparent different years? It must be twenty years ago I photostated
Electrol Rolls at the old Library (all streets around Chattaway) and you may find the list interesting?
I wonder given the possible weight of data transmission between us Catherine--whether we should exchange email address? If so mine is [email protected]
Yes, I made contact with the odd person on FR--shame it has gone but--facebook etc.
Do you remember the buses which transported us to our playing fields at Short Heath? We Boys watched the Girls playing Netball in the playground---Bottle Green, Navy Blue and Brown--oh those were the days.
I see from Google Maps--the Old Ladies Park is just about stiull there but---Spion Kop has fallen!!

Let`s be hearing from you.

Roger

Hello.any one attend elliot st.from 1960 to 64,i am trying to remember the staffs names.
all i remember are
mr beven
miss parry
mr mace
mr johns
miss macormack
any help would be greatfull
Hello., I assume you were in Seniors at that time (Mr Johns, Mr Fisher, Mr Holloway, Mr Darby, and wondered if you recall some of your class members (I have a long list and would happily put their names on here if that's acceptable), be wonderful to see if some of them responded.
Catherine

Dear participants to this post. Please excuse me if i don't know what i'm doing, been made a member of B'ham History Forum only this afternoon and felt I must add something to this post. Some of it will be quite random from comments made by you since the post started. I was born 1945 and attended Eliot St 1950-1952 (infants) and 1952-1956 (juniors) before going to Hastings Rd Secondary in Perry Common, but still living in Nechells. I lived in Nechells Park Road in one of the 12 or so houses that backed onto the Old Ladies Park (houses still there apparently). Next door was Tony Kirby, same class at school and next to him was Martin & Christine James (twins) also in our class at school. In 1968 Christine James married Brian Corfield, is this the same bloke previously mentioned? Also mentioned previously was Alan Pittaway, he was in our class also. Alan did emigrate to Australia along with Colin Ridgard (lived Mount St on corner of Park Place) Kenny Durose (lived in Nechells Park Road, half way between Eliot St and the chip shop on corner of Crompton Road (still a chip shop)) and Michael Whale (lived in Long Acre, half way between Plume St and the Hercules factory). I know that Alan and Michael soon came back. Sometime in the 60's I was at Nechells Green, waiting for a bus when a lorry pulled up, the driver leaned over and said "hop in". It was Alan Pittaway. My teachers in junior school were 1st year - Miss Gooding, 2nd year - Miss Robins, 3rd year - Mr Terry and 4th year - Miss Gooding again. Other teachers in the school were Mr Rees and Miss Barker. I have a couple of photos, one a full class photo of first year infants (1950) and about 8 of us in final year junior school which Miss Gooding took. I will try to put these on if anyone is interested and I can work out how to do it.

Dear participants to this post. Please excuse me if i don't know what i'm doing, been made a member of B'ham History Forum only this afternoon and felt I must add something to this post. Some of it will be quite random from comments made by you since the post started. I was born 1945 and attended Eliot St 1950-1952 (infants) and 1952-1956 (juniors) before going to Hastings Rd Secondary in Perry Common, but still living in Nechells. I lived in Nechells Park Road in one of the 12 or so houses that backed onto the Old Ladies Park (houses still there apparently). Next door was Tony Kirby, same class at school and next to him was Martin & Christine James (twins) also in our class at school. In 1968 Christine James married Brian Corfield, is this the same bloke previously mentioned? Also mentioned previously was Alan Pittaway, he was in our class also. Alan did emigrate to Australia along with Colin Ridgard (lived Mount St on corner of Park Place) Kenny Durose (lived in Nechells Park Road, half way between Eliot St and the chip shop on corner of Crompton Road (still a chip shop)) and Michael Whale (lived in Long Acre, half way between Plume St and the Hercules factory). I know that Alan and Michael soon came back. Sometime in the 60's I was at Nechells Green, waiting for a bus when a lorry pulled up, the driver leaned over and said "hop in". It was Alan Pittaway. My teachers in junior school were 1st year - Miss Gooding, 2nd year - Miss Robins, 3rd year - Mr Terry and 4th year - Miss Gooding again. Other teachers in the school were Mr Rees and Miss Barker. I have a couple of photos, one a full class photo of first year infants (1950) and about 8 of us in final year junior school which Miss Gooding took. I will try to put these on if anyone is interested and I can work out how to do it.
Hello Bill., As I was born two years prior to you our classmates would have been probably siblings etc., but thanks for the info ref the Pittaways, often wondered how they fared, wonder why they returned from the 'land of plenty', yes these those houses are still there, along with the chip shop whose owner remembered my brother and I when we visited only last year! The other chip shop was our main source on a Friday, up towards Wimbush's the cake shop the other side of the lights by the swimming baths. My parents both worked at the Hercules factory prior to us moving to Perry Barr. You have a great memory Bill, do keep these coming,

Hello Bill., As I was born two years prior to you our classmates would have been probably siblings etc., but thanks for the info ref the Pittaways, often wondered how they fared, wonder why they returned from the 'land of plenty', yes these those houses are still there, along with the chip shop whose owner remembered my brother and I when we visited only last year! The other chip shop was our main source on a Friday, up towards Wimbush's the cake shop the other side of the lights by the swimming baths. My parents both worked at the Hercules factory prior to us moving to Perry Barr. You have a great memory Bill, do keep these coming,

Hi Bill I was born 1944 and left Eliot Street Xmas 1944. I only remember some of the names you mentioned. Brian Corfield I met him four years ago(lives Walmley)---his wife died over ten years ago. He was a driver for Doug Elis awhile back--got on well with him. Alan Pittaway was driving for(I think) RSPCA a few years ago.
Mr Rees teacher(he died 87 recently)--I liked him but not his wife. Miss Barker oh--that country dancing.
You must have been in a different class to me--my class mates were Maureen Boyd-Alfie Jones-Carol Mallett-George Storer et al. Still nice to hear fom you
--Old Ladies Park and Spion Kop-we occasionally dropped in there. Eliot Street
football team--trips to watch them play by bus--Watteville Road--Hawthorn Road?

bye

Roger

Hi Roger
Yes I know that Christine was living in Walmley however no contact since 1960's. I was saddened to hear that she had passed away.
School football team. I went on that coach trip to see them play in a cup final. It was played at the Black Patch Park, Winson green/Smethwick against Watteville Road. We lost. I also went on two Eliot Street School bus trips to Wembley to see schoolboy internationals, the second one the year after I had left.
For Roger & Catherine
There was a lad in our class named Tony Yates and he lived in Chattaway Street. He had a brother who was a year or so older, Alan Yates, perhaps he might have been in one of your classes. I can't remember what part of Chattaway St they lived but a group of us used to call for Tony on our way to the Villa.

Bill

Hi Roger
Yes I know that Christine was living in Walmley however no contact since 1960's. I was saddened to hear that she had passed away.
School football team. I went on that coach trip to see them play in a cup final. It was played at the Black Patch Park, Winson green/Smethwick against Watteville Road. We lost. I also went on two Eliot Street School bus trips to Wembley to see schoolboy internationals, the second one the year after I had left.
For Roger & Catherine
There was a lad in our class named Tony Yates and he lived in Chattaway Street. He had a brother who was a year or so older, Alan Yates, perhaps he might have been in one of your classes. I can't remember what part of Chattaway St they lived but a group of us used to call for Tony on our way to the Villa.

Bill

Hi Bill Thanks for reply and data. Yes--I remember Kenny Harbon in goal(small and gutsy) did not remember the ground. Other possible players--Barlow-Jones-Jennings-Storer?)--I never did the Wembly trips--wish I had.
Xmas 54 I left the area completely(Kingstanding)--unlike you who stayed. I am thinking hard Bill reference `Yates`--rings a vague bell. Brian Hands(Ramsay Grove)--maybe connected. Colin Ward--window cleaners son lived in Chattaway. Brian Corfield next to shop--me a few doors further down. It was five years ago I last met Brian--I will give him a ring--and hope all is well?
I changed from Villa to Blues Xmas 54(don`t ask why)--but saw a few Villa matches
from a young age--remember a 17 year old Denis Law playing for Huddersfield on an
icy pitch.
Hope these scraps help Bill?

Roger

Smidgeon of news for anyone who was maybe in our class., on a recent transatlantic cruise I shared breakfast with a lass who was in my class at Eliot St, Carol Jones (now Parry) what are the odds after 50 odd years of such a chance encounter, we rattled through no end of names and teachers and it was such a treat to chat with her.

HI Bill, I am the younger brother of Brian Mathers who emigrated with the people you mentioned , sadly Brian passed away at the beginning of December.
But colin Ridguard is still living in Aus

Children at Eliot Street school performing "The Three Bears". Looks a bit scary to be honest! Viv.

image.jpeg

You mean like walk of the living dead? They were probably told to stand absolutely still for the photo.

Bringing members attention to post #24 of the school. (Transferred this from another duplicate thread). What a lovely school photo! Viv.

My father (John Dobson) and uncle (Clive Dobson) were both at Eliot Street late 40's to mid 50's, they lived on Malvern Hill Road, i have been trying to obtain school photos of them but without any success, i was hoping someone on this forum might be able to help or advice me where to look?

I attended Elliot street school in1943 till I left to attend grammar school when I was eleven it was a mixed school and the toilets were in the playground.w e lived in cuckoo road till we left to go to Sheldon. Next to our house was Clements mission and was used by boys brigade run by Captain mold? Of the Salvation Army. My nan used to clean the mission

This picture is of my class, Eliot Street Infants, first year class 1950/51. The teacher is Miss Thomas, I'm fifth from the left of the boys seated. I can name quite a few of them if anyone is interested.img648.jpg

great photo bill and yes please do add some of the names that you know of...i wonder if our member njsw1940 is on that photo

ly

This picture is of my class, Eliot Street Infants, first year class 1950/51. The teacher is Miss Thomas, I'm fifth from the left of the boys seated. I can name quite a few of them if anyone is interested.View attachment 126432
The poor mites in this pic and, even worse, post #25 of 1953, they don't look very happy to be there! The kids in pic #52 look positively petrified!
My Mom (Dorothy Lee, later Dorothy Rawlins) went to Eliot Street school must have been from about 1940-1950. She told me the Headteacher was Mr Edge, she was so undernourished he called her into his office once and made her eat a free dinner.

Back