• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Raf 100 Years Old

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
congratuations to the RAF...100 years old...just watched the centenary celebrations from buckingham palace...at least 100 different planes joined in the fly past..what a spectacular sight finishing off with the red arrows...long may they continue

lyn

Well said, Lyn!

I wonder how many of our members have served in the RAF? Eric has, of course; and I did too, even though for only a couple of years and with some reluctance! Any others?

Chris

yes chris it was fantastic....i cant see eric missing it especially the battle of britain flyover with the lancaster.hurricane and spitfires

lyn

Last edited:
Well said, Lyn!

I wonder how many of our members have served in the RAF? Eric has, of course; and I did too, even though for only a couple of years and with some reluctance! Any others?

Chris
I also did two years National Service in the RAF and was reluctant at the time but now glad I did it.
oldmohawk ... 3150438 ... :)

I also did two years National Service in the RAF and was reluctant at the time but now glad I did it.
I got home a little later than usual this morning but was fortunate to arrive home to see the special programme on tv. Great to watch.
I went in the RAF at 171/2. Joining a month earlier I would have been an App. (aircraft apprentice) but opted for thee mens service. I managed to stay with the RAF for six years. I still have a connection with the RAF via ham radio.
OM, I see by your National Service number that you were ex ATC. Other National Service recruits service numbers, at the time, commenced with a 5.

OM, I see by your National Service number that you were ex ATC. Other National Service recruits service numbers, at the time, commenced with a 5.
Yes I think I had a liking for uniforms. I was in the Scouts and later moved to the Air Training Corps. Towards the end of my national service the RAF tried to persuade me to become a 'regular' but I wanted to get back to 'civvy street' as we called it.

Phil,

Unlike you, I wasn't into group things at all. I had been cajoled into trying a few of those sorts of activities and on each occasion lasted a couple of days and got out as soon as I could. I hated sports and gymnastics too, so doing National Service wasn't what I wanted, but at least it got me out of a boring office job for two years. But once I had my permanent posting to Shropshire, had joined the Station Band (and as a result was permanently excused all guard & fire piquet duties), and wheedled my way onto permanent night shift, I happily settled into the routine. After the first few weeks, I can't remember being badgered to become a regular - I guess they realised I was too damned independent - a bit of a square peg in a round hole! But looking back, most of it was an enjoyable experience in retrospect.

Maurice :)

I also did my two years National Service in the RAF

Maurice 2753874 1955-7
You reminded me Maurice of the 27 NS numbers. That was the going ones when I joined - not mine of course as I was a regular. When they ran out of 27's they then followed on with the 50's. Due to the volume of National Servicemen the numbers soon got used up. The thing I recall about NS guys was their 'chuff graphs' as they called them, usually in bedside wardrobes when counting down the days to demob.

My Dad was RAF, started off at the Grange in Orpanage Road ...please correct me if I am wrong with the road name...., very swiftly 1941 he was on his way to India via the Cape and East Africa and there on Dum Dum air station until the cessation, came out a Flight Sergeant, when he came home late one night I did not know who he was.
Bob

Last edited:
Thinking back to my time in the RAF I’ve just looked and noticed I have 123 posts about it in the National Service thread. Another thought, the RAF was only 38 years old when I joined .... :D

Alan,

Among my lot they were "demob charts", but each station seemed to have its own name for them. As I was on a Maintenance Unit doing third line servicing on Marconi Radio Compasses, we worked in anti-static cages in a large hangar - basically a framework of 2 x 2 softwood covered both sides with chicken wire. So our demob charts were pinned up on the inside of the cage. And there were some really fancy ones made by those who had too much time on their hands!

We only had three in our team, all NS men, all on night shift, so we were largely left to our own devices, but I've detailed many of those on the National Service thread, so I won't repeat them here. Looking after NS men at least provided jobs for WW2 officers & senior NCOs that would otherwise have been made redundant after the war. Because most of them had come up though the ranks during the war, they were nice guys and, I suppose, glad that they still had a job that they enjoyed doing.

Maurice

My husband Ronald Phillips 4153060 did 3years 1954-1957 and was an a radar aerial erecter..can'nt say he liked it l know he was encouraged to sign on but he said no fear he was just glad to get out of uniform

Brenda, I was just the opposite, I spent 8 wonderful years as an aircrew wireless operator logging 5000 hours flying in various aircraft, 2 overseas tours, 2 years in Africa as a single man (1949-51) and 2 and a half years in Hong Kong and Singapore (1953-55) with my (new) Wife, best 8 years of my life, am now 88, lost my dear Wife many years ago. Eric

Brenda, I was just the opposite, I spent 8 wonderful years as an aircrew wireless operator logging 5000 hours flying in various aircraft, 2 overseas tours, 2 years in Africa as a single man (1949-51) and 2 and a half years in Hong Kong and Singapore (1953-55) with my (new) Wife, best 8 years of my life, am now 88, lost my dear Wife many years ago. Eric
Eric most men enjoyed doing their bit but not Ron, my brother did 22yrs in the RNAS and enjoyed it, i think Ron did'nt like being told what to do..still doesnt as l can never get him to do anything, but funny enough his whole life now is planes ..he has had quite a few and built a few, he has one in the garage right now , l guess it keeps him out of the pubs

Anyone thinking of going to the exhibition in Victoria Square it does not open until 11 am.

Attachments

• _DSF1207.JPG
    _DSF1207.JPG
    936.6 KB · Views: 18
  • _DSF1206.JPG
    _DSF1206.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
My daughter did five years in the RAF, spent a long time in Berlin before the wall came down, she was in communications and was the only female in the com-cen, out of her window she could look up and wave to the East German guards in their look out tower.

Her time there equipped her well for the GCHQ job she went for after she left the RAF and for them she went all over the world, ended up in Washington attached to the NSA, after two tours she and her husband retired and she is now a realtor...………………..so if anyone wants to buy a house on the waterfront near Chesapeake Bay I can point you in the right direction. :)

Yesterday before it opened. Was fences all the way around. I'm trying to avoid Victoria Square when it's too busy. Security guards and back checks.

Thought the Red Arrows fly past was this afternoon, it might be tomorrow?

The Royal Air Force Amateur Radio Society - to which I have belonged for a long time - is very involved with RAF 100 celebrations. There are special transmitting stations which can be contacted worldwide, radio transmission conditions permitting.
There are also many displays by the Society at air shows and radio related events. A great celebration is being achieved.
Another celebration, for me anyway, but with no connection to the specific connection to the RAF, is the 1000th. anniversary of the founding by King Canute of Buckfast Abbey in Devon. There has been many events so far since earlier this year with more to come.
I had the honour of being invited to a special service in May, which was a civic affair with the attendance of two Cardinals, one of whom was a Papal Legate from Sweden (Catholics here will realize that is was a special day with two 'big guns' plus others of lesser degree). Yesterday saw me there again as part of the Community celebrations. That was a much more private event but one which I have been looking forward to for some while - just praying that I would still be alive to attend it. :D On a military note the monks who were priests and British, mostly became Chaplains in the second world war. The foreign ones became a local firefghting and first aid team for the duration. Catholic Chaplains were always noted for being at the front line, in fact one, who only recently died at 99, was captured but did manage to escape. Another was on a beach in the Normandy retreat. The unit he was with was asked to write something home as it seemed, at the time, that they may not make it back to Blighty. With a large pile of hurried letters strapped to his helmet he waded out to one of the smaller rescue boats. "Come aboard Father" was a command made, but no, the only thing that went aboard was the letters: he went back to the beach! They did make it back and all eventually were sent back into other theatres of war. I remember him well as he typed a special Latin prayer for me that, at the time I was unable to locate in any books. I still have it and recite it. He died in 1996. Those of us, here, will have many such wonderful memories of those we have loved and known. There is, sadly as well, the reverse side of the sadder memories but from personal experience they are far less that the good ones.
There were many imaginations by some who lived locally during WW2. German aircraft circling over the Abbey were, it was thought, getting signals from the tower. They were, of course taking directions. Anyone who has flown knows old churches are often invaluable compasses. :D Another, even wilder comment, was a tunnel being dug for submarines who could reach there up the River Dart. I can't quite see how the subs would have climbed over a couple of weirs, particularly a large one at Totnes which forms the break between the tidal river and fresh water part. :eek:

Last edited:
Great photos; hopefully appreciated by those who have been able to view them.
On a humorous note: I realize Colmore Row is wide, but I guess those aircraft did not use it as a runway! :D

This rather long, but does make interesting reading on a rainy day particularly.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/history...fought-best-with-their-backs-to-the-wall.html
In a scene in the great film, The Battle of Britain (I believe), Herman Göring (or the actor playing his part) said "Wo ist der RAF?" (where is the RAF?). Well they were playing a waiting game, which he soon found out. I remember being told, by a surviving pilot of that era, that what helped Britain was that the RAF overestimated the strength of the Luftwaffe, where they in turn, under estimated that of the RAF. Some colossal mistakes made by Hitler were to Britain's advantage as the war progressed but this over and under estimation by the combatants chiefs was quite important, even if not so widely emphasised.

Here's my two pennorth. rainy day, not much fun taking photos.

Attachments

• DSCN2049.JPG
    DSCN2049.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2050.JPG
    DSCN2050.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2044.JPG
    DSCN2044.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2045.JPG
    DSCN2045.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • DSCN2047.JPG
    DSCN2047.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Regarding the Red Arrows, my brother just told me it would be at 3pm today (Sunday).
I can't go so thanks everyone for the photos.
rosie.

It was cancelled due to the bad weather. 3:07pm came and went and nothing flew over the Council House.

nice photos everyone....what a shame the bad weather forced the red arrows to cancel...they also had to cancel the rhyl flypast...wonder if they will re arrange for another day

lyn

Back