• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Societies: Ten Guinea Club

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Suggestions or information about this club welcome. I have no idea what it would have been set up for. All I can think is it was an awful lot of money in the 1790s. Maybe it was set up to raise that sum for a particular purpose ? Or perhaps it was for a less respectable activity such as gambling ? Viv.

image.jpeg

viv ive never heard of this either and this is probably nothing to do with it as it says TEN guinea club but i think there used to be plots of land rented out called the guinea fields or something like that...its just something that came from the back of my mind which is not always correct:D

lyn

I think they had a lot of investment societies in those days. Perhaps there were some shares which they clubbed together to buy and then shared out the profits. It may have been that they couldn't buy enough on their own.

So a type of savings club providing members with temporary loans. Interesting that these 'money clubs' were widespread and commonly arranged through pubs. Viv.

They might have been considered like an early form of building society- a real one , not like a bank with grossly overpaid managers with too high an ioinion of themselves

Back