• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Problem

Phil,

Been out this evening to an all-Greek traditional do. Of course, it could be a CPU fault or even a memory fault - who knows.

The only problem with dual boot machines I find is that I turn it on in the morning and then walk away to make a coffee and before I know it, I have Linux when I want Windows! :)

Maurice

Hi Maurice,
Linux has no drivers for my Epson Printer/Scanner but I can flick into Windows for printing. Chrome synced my bookmarks and layout from Win 10 so all the internet sites show as normal. Photo editing, media and office work run perfectly. I use a data partition so that Win10 and Mint can see the same files. It is not for everyone though but Linux looks pretty on my desktop.
Phil
mymint.jpg
posted using Linux ... :)

Last edited:
Phil,

Well so much for upgrading the BIOS, it crashed again this afternoon. I think this is a problem that won't be resolved until I change the motherboard.

Maurice
Hi Maurice,
It seems that my BIOS update has worked, with the computer now becoming reliable as shown below ... no red crosses for over a week.
Phil
Capturel.JPG

Hi Phil,

I'm still getting the occasional random re-boot, though probably not quite so many as I was. Temperatures well within the stipulated ranges, despite the current heatwave here, which is forecast to come to an end tomorrow, thank goodness!

Printing is not really a problem as I print so little. I've set up the printer as a local device on both machines and added a long USB lead, so no problem to switch it between the two machines, Jan's PC in Win 7 32 bit and mine Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

What I have had problems with starting this last few days is Skype - a side-by-side configuration error, which is generally the C++ Library or .NET Framework. However, system file checker fails to find anything and the latest version of both are loaded. I currently have a support request with Skype awaiting attention.

Maurice

I have a sound problem, off line no problem but on line sound very low on BT but ok on IE, BT say no problem with Broad Band (I have fibre optic), suggests check my settings, happened yesterday. I have OS 10, any ideas? Eric

Hi Eric,
Ref conversations ...
My volume mixer settings.
Device sound 100%
Application sounds 80%
Chrome browser running youtube 40% a bit quiet
Edge browser running youtube 100% very loud
oldmohawk
Capture.JPG

This is a now and then problem. If I go to a new post in a thread then I am able to read it but often I cannot scroll up to the post before. This has happened several times in the last two weeks but doesn't necessarily happen every time. Has anybody else experienced this? Dave

You could try Chrome to eliminate any browser problem but if it is intermittent it might be hardware.
How do you scroll?
I mainly use the wheel on my mouse to scroll up and down.
I can use the up and down arrows on the keyboard for a similar scroll.
If I want to scroll quickly to top or bottom of a page I use the Page Up or Page Down on the keyboard.

Viewed message above OK when I went into new posts. Used mouse on Up arrow on right hand side of screen and could not scroll up. Used Page Up on keyboard and nothing happened. Used Up arrow on keyboard and still could not scroll up. Came out of the thread and back again and still could not scroll up. Repeated the out of thread and back in again and then using the mouse and Up arrow on right of screen it worked! Page Up on keyboard and also Up arrow on keyboard did not do anything. It's something I can live with but it's a bit irritating. I haven't tried Chrome yet. Thanks for your help. Dave.

It might be worth trying a different browser. On Windows I realise I’m mostly using the mouse wheel but at the moment I’m on an iPad and finger flicks do all the moves ... :)

I use a cheap Aldi tablet and a cheap smart phone ( O'k so I'm a cheapskate !) both touchscreen. I very seldom use my laptop and occasionally use the computers at our local library.
When I do use these I have to make quite an adjustment mentally to revert back to operating a mouse.
I guess it's just a matter of habit as I seem to remember having the problem the other way around.
Cheers Tim

Hi everyone, I how do i "unlike" something I "liked" but meant to put another exclamation on!
Wendy

wish they kept the "appreciate"...this "like"..is too american.they say" like" after every other word
Geordies are renowned for saying "like" at the end of every sentence. I find that Americans tend to use the phrase "Oh my God" all the time. I was once standing in a queue for coffee in LA and was wearing a wide-brimmed Tilley hat (it was a hot day). The lady in front of me got served, turned round, looked at me and said very slowly "Oh----My----God" and walked off. I think I must have been a curiosity in not wearing a baseball cap. But I'm getting off-thread. Dave.

When I was in the RAF, at The Malverns, I noticed the cleaning ladies often used phrases such as "you see like". Not just Geordies I guess.

Back