• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

St Cyprian's Church, Hay Mills

Another update for events at St Cyprians we will be having an open day on Saturday 13th September with everyone welcome to attend. On the evening we will having a commemoration of the First World war with some songs from the period and I will be giving a talk on the War memorial with the biographical details and stories of some of the men listed there. The cost for the evening talk and songs is £5.00 but includes a fish and chip supper provided in the interval. This will be held in the memorial hall at the end of the Fordrough closest to the Coventry Road. I would be delighted to meet or hear from relatives of anyone commemorated and share information with them. I have identified about 60% of the 111 names listed but would like to find them all if possible. I've been working on this for 4 years now on and off and I've still away to go. Anyway I will be in the church on the Saturday afternoon and will be happy to talk about the war memorial to anyone who wants to ask questions.

St Cyprians Church -Open day
10 September 2016
Time 12pm – 3pm
The Church is 150 years old this year.

The School Room , (Museum )will also be open.
Do you or your family have any memories of this lovely hidden church?
Were. you or a family member baptised, confirmed or married there?
Did you family work at Webster and Horsefall ?
Webster and Horsefall Musuem (in school room) is open same date and time

My Father was married at St Cyprians in 1931, he was from a family in Oldknow Road and i am led to believe that most of his

eight siblings were also married at the church. Sadly all of them now no longer with us.

My paternal family lived in the Small Heath area. Dad was married in Sheldon Parish Church but both his brother (George Arthur Platt) and his sister (Mary Aline Platt) were married in St Cyprian's on 18th June 1938 and 15th April 1939 respectively. The Vicar at that time was R.C. Tait. I did visit the Church once but that was a long time ago.
OldBrummie 0840 Eastern Australian Time 25th August 2016.

An old photo of St Cyprians Church, Fordrough, Hay Mills, but unfortunately no date.
St Cyprians.jpg
A similar view today
St Cyprians today.JPG

Lovely photo.
I didn't realise there was a St Cyprien over here. I visited St Cyprien in France, to visit a Brummie friend who had moved there, several years ago. Fascinating though. BHA never ceases to intrigue.

And now it is a church on an industrial estate .... at least it is still there and some trees round the back by the river.
StCypriansNow.jpg

Back