• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston University

Jackd can you edit your post, so you only quote my post once (and move your reply out of the quote). Thanks. Glad it brings back memories. Expect that you wouldn't recognise the modern Aston University campus. They celebrated the 50th anniversary last year (of being a University since 1966).

That looks like the old Gosta Green art school block on the right.

The site was always very confusing as the block on the left was part of Aston University whereas what was the old art school was taken over by what was originally the University of Central England - now Birmingham City University.
In effect, two different universities on one site.

These former BCU buildings to the left are now owned by Aston. Was UCE. The building close to Holt Street was demolished in 2016.

Could a mod rename this thread? As it's not about the University of Birmingham (based in Edgbaston and Selly Oak). And think it's more about Aston University. And not Birmingham City University (which was the University of Central England until a decade ago).

We already have a thread called "Aston University" which I initiated on Sept 5th 2016. Dave.

Note threads now merged.Viv

Do you recognise this, it's Aston University (in 2012)

It's all very confusing - this part of the building at Gosta Green was the Birmingham College of Commerce and Technology (or Technology and Commerce depending on which course you took!) and co-existed with the University of Aston next door. It became part of the University of Central England (in about 1966) before the whole lot was shifted to Perry Barr - and now I think the building has been swallowed into Aston University.
Incidentally another thread talks about the 'paternoster' lifts and these were used here. Not sure if they are still in use - I dread to think what 'Health & Safety' would make of them although I never heard of any major accidents. Can't think why not . . .

I did hear of an accident that one student had to his nose when he thought they were a good method of loking up girl's skirts.

The University did celebrate it's 50th birthday in 2016.

Saw one of the new signs on Holt Street at the weekend (similar to the ones on James Watt Queensway and Jennens Road)

Aston University Library on the 29th February 2016.

A drawing of the building when planned (edit) in 1939 as a Technical College. Viv.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I was told that they had a lot of problems with the construction, they could not get firm foundations because of running sand. Can anyone else add to this?

I was a student at Birmingham College of Commerce when it moved from Broad Street to Gosta Green in 1962 next door to Birmingham College of Advanced Technology. When the CAT became Aston University we asked why we could not become the Commerce Faculty of Aston University as after all we, as students, had been incorporated into the Aston University Students Union. I think the politics of Academia were against that. After my time, there the College of Commerce became a constituent part of Birmingham Polytechnic and moved to Perry Barr. The building then became the South Block of Aston University. Later I did a course of study at Birmingham Polytechnic just before the Polys were all converted to universities with Birmingham becoming the University of Central England and later Birmingham City University.

All these name changes made it difficult for me to list my qualifications so I have to say Birmingham City University although I never went there.

I was told that they had a lot of problems with the construction, they could not get firm foundations because of running sand. Can anyone else add to this?

Someone told me a long time ago that this was the reason we could not have an Underground system like London.
rosie.

The sub strata was a reason at one time but more modern methods of tunnelling and tunnel wall construction overcame what was seen as problems at earlier times.
In mid 1948 the City Surveyor investigated the possibility of a subterranean railway, similar to London's 'tube' system. This would be a line serving the north eastern part of the city: Perry Barr, Aston, Erdington and Kingstanding. After extensive studies of the London systems (there are more than one, being just sub surface and much deeper (tube)) a scheme for an eleven mile system has been developed. Apparently stations were considered at Aston Cross, Salford Bridge, Erdington High Street, Perry Common, Kingstanding, Perry Barr and Hockley. These stations would be served by trains every ten minutes with a five minute interval at peak times with a fair, on average (at the time of 4d. (2p). It was believed that 57,000 people would use these trains each day.
The projected cost of construction was given as £13.75 million with annual income of £350,000 which coupled with loan charges and operating costs gave the cities transport coffers an annual deficit of £831,800 Needless to say the scheme was abandoned.
This year (1948) was a difficult one for the transport committee. New buses on order (785)were slow in delivery - only 210 being received by July. The Stechford trams would be replaced by buses in October and it was decided that the Moseley Road routes would be next to go. That occurred in October 1949.
Despite a petition for free bus passed for the aged it was not felt necessary and had to wait a few more years.
Actually Birmingham was over 40 years ahead in granting this type of bus pass compared to other areas of the UK.

i know i shall kick myself when this is answered but i cant think of the name of the large building in the distance...to give you a sense of direction the photo was taken in the old newtown row shopping centre...traffic the other side of the carriageway is heading towards the city centre...of course i do know that the building is not in the city centre...well i dont think it is...photos can be deceiving

lyn

factory.jpg

Last edited:
Back