• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cranby Street Saltley

Paul Higgins

master brummie
Do any of you folks have any information, in particular photo's I can download of this street? Even the old gas works, any stories of the surrounding area. I was born there but have no pics. Couldn't afford cameras in those days! Anything before the old Victorian back-to-backs were pulled down. In particular, does anyone remember an escaped monkey? It was, I believe reported in the evening Mail. I have contacted them, but they can't help, so I am relying on the best resource- the people! Many thanks in advance.

I'm afraid I don't have any photos to hand but when I next see my sister I will check. My father lived at no. 61 when he was young and his two sisters lived there with his mother until the early '50s. The family name was Rawlings.

here is cranby street in 1954 coronation party.

qcNYr1r.jpg

Attachments

• 12631359_10154527162104097_7089106920823543259_n.jpg
    12631359_10154527162104097_7089106920823543259_n.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Paul

I can't remember seeing any photos of Cranby Street on the forum, but there are a few of Crawford Street and Adderley Street which as you will know Cranby Street ran between. Just type Crawford Street or adderley Street in the search box at the top right of the page and sort through the results.

what a wonderful photo steve....always good to find the coronation st party ones

lyn

Great photo,
spotted my grandmother, my mom & my aunt. They lived at number 25. Sent a copy to my aunt who now lives in Utah she wants to know who you are. My gran was Ella Ward her neighbor was Mrs Doyle

I bet the dresses of the little girls, on the left of the photo, were red, white and blue striped.
As the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II was on the 2nd, June, 1953 I presume the date of 1954 is incorrect.

here is cranby street in 1954 coronation party.

qcNYr1r.jpg
Hi have just been forwarded this photo from my brother and his wife in Australia and managed to spot our family immediately. It was the stripes !!! Front row Lesley and Mary, centre Doreen and next to her with my hand by my mouth me(Jean) and behind me my big brother Michael Pattison we lived at number 6. Our Mom is also on the photo. Thanks for sharing the photo gave me a good giggle. The outfits would have been made by my Nan Florence Nutt she lived at number18 and the reason for the change of direction of stripe probably to use up every scrap of material.

Hi have just been forwarded this photo from my brother and his wife in Australia and managed to spot our family immediately. It was the stripes !!! Front row Lesley and Mary, centre Doreen and next to her with my hand by my mouth me(Jean) and behind me my big brother Michael Pattison we lived at number 6. Our Mom is also on the photo. Thanks for sharing the photo gave me a good giggle. The outfits would have been made by my Nan Florence Nutt she lived at number18 and the reason for the change of direction of stripe probably to use up every scrap of material.
I lived at number 14 , Clarks lived at 16, the corner shop was Lathams I think number 2 next door at 4or 6 was Tom and Kathy Webb (Tom is at the far right of the photo). I am on the photo which of course was 1953 aged 14 with my two younger brothers and my mom and dad.
I know a lot of the people on the photo as you might expect old mates school friends and neighbours.
Hope this helps. By the way the left side was even numbers with houses at the back.

what a lovely happy photo that is...everyone is smiling...always saddens me to see what some streets have become so thank goodness for photography to keep the memories alive..below is a street view of the street now looking in such a sorry state

lyn

thanks lyn, i used to live on the right of the photo, by the lampost, which was number 24.
Hi Steve,
I'm not sure if you are still checking these posts but if you are I wondered if you knew of the Williams family, William Charles Williams and Annie Jane Williams. They were at 3 Back 24 Cranby Street and I'm guessing that they would have been in their late 50's or early 60's in 1954. Please let me know if you have any information about them.

Many thanks,
Sue

I lived at number 14 , Clarks lived at 16, the corner shop was Lathams I think number 2 next door at 4or 6 was Tom and Kathy Webb (Tom is at the far right of the photo). I am on the photo which of course was 1953 aged 14 with my two younger brothers and my mom and dad.
I know a lot of the people on the photo as you might expect old mates school friends and neighbours.
Hope this helps. By the way the left side was even numbers with houses at the back.
Hi,
We lived in the back to backs further along Crawford Street in the early to mid 60,s. I was very young at the time but witnessed my friend whom I only remember as Susan being hit and killed by a coal lorry near to the corner of Cranby Street and Crawford street.

My Nan and Grandad Latham owned the corner shop on Cranby Street and he had a coal yard on the other side of the road by the Canal, I always remember my mum Vera Latham telling me how she had to take a sack truck out delivering coal far and wide.When we visited I used to play out with some of you locals you were all very friendly.

My Nan and Grandad Latham owned the corner shop on Cranby Street and he had a coal yard on the other side of the road by the Canal, I always remember my mum Vera Latham telling me how she had to take a sack truck out delivering coal far and wide.When we visited I used to play out with some of you locals you were all very friendly.
I live in Crawford street between 1963 and 1967 and although very young I recall using the shops. I also remember that my friend Susan lost her life on Crawford Street. She was struck by a lorry coming from the gasworks..

have you any photos of the shop.

Hi Steve,
I'm not sure if you are still checking these posts but if you are I wondered if you knew of the Williams family, William Charles Williams and Annie Jane Williams. They were at 3 Back 24 Cranby Street and I'm guessing that they would have been in their late 50's or early 60's in 1954. Please let me know if you have any information about them.

Many thanks,
Sue
sorry sue i dont,

My grandmother, Elizabeth Rawlings, lived at 61 Granby Street with her two daughters, Maud and Lizzie, from the 1930s until the early ‘50s when my grandmother died.
Trevor Rawlings

Great photo,
spotted my grandmother, my mom & my aunt. They lived at number 25. Sent a copy to my aunt who now lives in Utah she wants to know who you are. My gran was Ella Ward her neighbor was Mrs Doyle
Hi,
I wondered if you knew of the Williams family, William Charles Williams and Annie Jane Williams. They were at 3 Back 24 Cranby Street and I'm guessing that they would have been in their late 50's or early 60's in 1954. Please let me know if you have any information about them.

Many thanks,
Sue

Hi Sue
Had a chat with my mom, She doesn't remember the Williams but she does remember a Barry Moore in the back houses of Cranby St. We moved to Australia in 1969 and she bumped into Barry in Perth.
She does remember the Latham's and the corner shop, she said Mrs Latham used to pull out loose teeth & give you a tanner out of the till also Mr Latham delivered the coal to my grans

Lovely to hear so many stories of different families, I was born in the house where I lived 5/14 cranby Street, remember my mom telling me when I was older the lady next door had boys & would have loved a girl, so she many a time would have me round her house. My dad when I was born shacking his cup & saucer said I'll get a shot gun for her bless ☕

Back