• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brighton Arms Balsall Heath

Two different pubs it seems Geoff. Interestingly both are M&B houses. The Arms would be the better place to watch trains I guess. ;) Anyway it is good that you have put a picture to the thread title. I wonder what those churn like objects are? Maybe they are churns?

Having just done a search it seems that the Arms place name has transferred to the hotel. One site suggests the hotel is no longer a pub. There is much obfuscation here. I leave it to the 'locals' and brewery cognisant to put some daylight in here. :D

Last edited:
There is a separate thread about the Brighton Hotel/ The Brighton at #85 Brighton Road (at the junction with Ladypool Road) here.

Viv.

Great photo Hewittbj39. So if I’ve got this right, the Brighton Arms no longer existed after 1955. Presumably the whole of the former pub premises were by that time the cafe ? The original pub sign seems to have been reused for the cafe and Barbers Teas advertising. Viv.

There was a small pub half way down Brighton Road until at least the 90’s? Once saw Ali Campbell in there- is it the same one?

There was a small pub half way down Brighton Road until at least the 90’s? Once saw Ali Campbell in there- is it the same one?
Could be the Malt Shovel - different place. the building is still there but it's not been a pub for some time add to that it's near Moseley Road rather than half way down.

The building on the right of this Brighton Road photo could be a pub (or premises suitable for later conversion to a pub) .... but I can't read the sign ??Balsall Heath Brighton Road c1910.jpg

Last edited:
The lampost is marked on the c1889 map, and going to the c1950 map is shown to be outside no 121. In the 1890 Kellys it is listed just as a shop, but not listed in 1892. From 1895 issue till 1910 it is listed as a beer retailer, but in 1912 as a shop. The 1901 census describes the occupier (huggett) as aa beer stores manager, so it would seem for that period to have been an off licence

map c1889 brighton road showing position of lampost.jpgmap c1950 brighton road showing position of lampost.jpg

Having said that, the photo does not seem to fit the map, as you cannot see Whitby road on the photo

My reading of the sign suggests 'PSB & W ...
When did the railway bridge get significantly altered from what it was in the photo in post#9 to what it is in post#1 ?
Are there any dates for the two photos ?
Image3.jpg

Back