• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Uplands Cemetery Photo Request

ARippin

master brummie
Does anyone live near to Uplands Cemetery and has the time to photograph my great grandparents plot please?
I live in Leicestershire and although I have managed to obtain a plot/grave index I'm not even sure if there is a headstone.
Many thanks in anticipation.

Thanks for your advice ALB10N, I will certainly give it a try.
I've heard of 'findagrave' and even looked on there in the past but had totally forgotten about it.
I will check later and post on here an update.
If not I plan on visiting anyway at some point but have an elderly relative who wants to visit with me and thought I'd try to find out if there's something tangible to see first.
Thanks so much for your input.

No joy I'm afraid.
I've checked the 'findagrave' site for both my great grandparents and neither are recorded in their database.
I'm a little sceptical (as is my nature) that 98% of the plots/headstones have been photographed. I also looked at the tab 'request a photo' but there are some requests still on there dating back to 2012 that are outstanding.
If I don't get any joy from this forum I plan on driving over to Uplands at some point in the future anyway and will be able to pull in more of the sites of Smethwick.
Thank you for posting though with the suggestion.

I'm sorry ARippin, I do live near there but I'm not able to go to take photos at the moment.
If you go to the office at the new Thimblemill Cemetery, the entrance is opposite the Thimblemill entrance to the Uplands, they are ususally very helpful and even "paced out" an old grave for me which didn't have a marker.
I hope you do find a gravestone, most of "mine" haven't got one!
Best Wishes,
rosie.

No joy I'm afraid.
I've checked the 'findagrave' site for both my great grandparents and neither are recorded in their database.
I'm a little sceptical (as is my nature) that 98% of the plots/headstones have been photographed. I also looked at the tab 'request a photo' but there are some requests still on there dating back to 2012 that are outstanding.
If I don't get any joy from this forum I plan on driving over to Uplands at some point in the future anyway and will be able to pull in more of the sites of Smethwick.
Thank you for posting though with the suggestion.

The 98% is more of an estimate and it's only a percentage of the headstones that it refers to.

Thanks for that ALB10N and it was certainly worth a try.

And many thanks for the advice Rosie. As I'm not local it will certainly come in handy.
I'm conscious it might not be easy for people to go so it was really just a long shot to see if there was anything there. Like you say, I've told myself there won't be a headstone so it will be a bonus if there is.

it maybe an idea to tell us your gt grandparents names..plot and grave number.some members like myself write down the details and if we are passing will try and locate and take photos for you but we do need the relevant info...thanks for the map john..

lyn

Quite a few of my Jones Family reside in this cemetery including my brother Bernard, the staff are quite helpful if you have any details of who you are looking for.

Hi all, thanks for map and input, just got in so will dig out the plot and grave details tomorrow.
Their names are David and Zeta Elizabeth Palmer.
From memory David died in 1955 and his wife Zeta in 1943 but I will add more detail tomorrow.
Night and thanks again.

Hi Jon but I've took a quick look at the cemetery plan and I'm not sure if I'm missing a trick or being a little thick (no comments please) but is Handsworth Cemetery the same as Uplands?

it maybe an idea to tell us your gt grandparents names..plot and grave number.some members like myself write down the details and if we are passing will try and locate and take photos for you but we do need the relevant info...thanks for the map john..

lyn

I've just located the details of my great grandparents and I was correct with the dates.
David Palmer died in 1955 and his wife Zeta Elizabeth Palmer nee Starkey died in 1943.
They are both buried in the same plot at Uplands Cemetery.
Plot 23, Section 6, Grave no. 12828

Hi Jon but I've took a quick look at the cemetery plan and I'm not sure if I'm missing a trick or being a little thick (no comments please) but is Handsworth Cemetery the same as Uplands?
No Handsworth Cemetery is in Birmingham. Uplands cemetery is in Smethwick

Thanks David, I assume Gingerjon uploaded Handsworth cemetery in error instead of Uplands so I have tried sending him a message to this effect in case he doesn't spot it on here.

I've just located the details of my great grandparents and I was correct with the dates.
David Palmer died in 1955 and his wife Zeta Elizabeth Palmer nee Starkey died in 1943.
They are both buried in the same plot at Uplands Cemetery.
Plot 23, Section 6, Grave no. 12828

I can't promise anything for a week or two but if I get a chance I will go to see if I can find the grave. I did take a photograph in Uplands Cemetery in 2012 for another member on the forum but she was able to identify the location very accurately and I found the grave adjacent to the main driveway.

Thanks David, if you do manage to make it great but if other things come up don't worry.
Happy to return the favour if you need anything looking up at cemeteries close to or in Melton Mowbray! or at the records office in Leicester.

ALB10N posted an aerial view of the cemetery which cleary shows section 6 where they are buried near to the 'cremations'.

ARippin is this request still outstanding ? I was there yesterday doing the war graves and I am visiting my Mum who lives nearbye tomorrow ...and will have a look for you ..failing that i am there again on Sat

If you are trying to find anyone who is buried in Handsworth cemetery you can email them with the date of the funeral etc and they will give you the plot number. I presume other cemeteries would do the same

Hi Carolina, I have always found the staff at Uplands Smethwick very helpful, also Lodge Hill Cemetery in Birmingham.
rosie.

Hi Maggie
I can't believe I missed your post.
Yes it was still outstanding but I have missed your visits.
How frustrating but really very kind of you to offer.
Perhaps another time but if not I still need to visit.
Hope your visit was fruitful.
Kindest regards.

Hi Maggie
I can't believe I missed your post.
Yes it was still outstanding but I have missed your visits.
How frustrating but really very kind of you to offer.
Perhaps another time but if not I still need to visit.
Hope your visit was fruitful.
Kindest regards.

I went there on the Saturday and had a search I couldnt find the grave in section 6, but going by the grave number I found that sequence of numbers in another section , but not that number. I will go to Thimbell Mill office once day next week and enquire there. If its a case of no headstone then i will take a photo of where is would of been It isnt any trouble as It is only 15 mins walk from my Mums care home :) regards

Thank you so much Maggie for your time and efforts.
I'm not sure everyone would think that taking a 15 minute walk out of their way was no trouble!
Really, really appreciate it and I'd love to return the favour (I have 'ancestry' and 'findmypast' subscriptions so don't hesitate to ask if you want anything looking up).

Such a shame if there's no headstone as I'm hoping to bring an elderly relative to visit.

I have attached the entry from the burial register that very helpful Registration Officer sent me from Sandwell Valley Crematorium where the records are held.

cid:12199907-A1D8-47A0-826E-3889E3C50CD7

Think I managed to upload the image in the end!!
See attached.

Attachments

• Uplands register pages.pdf
    874.5 KB · Views: 42
Sorry not been on here for a while so only just spotted your post.
No never did get over or find out if my great grandparents had a headstone despite getting the plot details from staff at Sandwell valley crem.
Would really appreciate if you get the time to look.
Let me know if you need any details sending again.
Thank you in anticipation.

Back